Need help with a question concerning blu-ray disc writing (LG GGWH20L)

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GGWH20L Super Multi Blue Blu-ray Disc Rewriter and HD-DVD Rom Drive. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]:o I just purchased a LG GGW-H20L drive to use with dvdfab - since it now supports blu-ray backups, I am completely ignorant about Blu-ray discs. My question - after reading cdfreaks review of the drive I understand that the blu-ray discs (bd-r) must be formatted before writting to them. I am hoping someone could explain this further for me. If I were to insert a blank bd-r for use w/ dvdfab would I have to format the disc first? I would think not. But if I wanted to author a disc with say nero 9 I would have to format the disc? could someone explain when formatting is nessecary? Also I was under the impression that bd-r disc used the file system UDF 2.50 (I saw a post about this), but in the review it says that for this drive the file system to use for bd-r is UDF 2.6, could someone straighten me out on this too???

thank you all for any help about thses questions, I don’t know where else to turn for help on these matters, I know there has to be some experts here - I just hope you have the time to help:bow:

You only need to format BD-RE (rewritable) media before using it. BD-R (write once) media doesn’t need to be formated first, just like in DVD-R or DVD+R.

You need a file system UDF 2.50 (or 2.60) IF you want to burn as Blu-ray video for blu-ray player compatibility reasons. If you want to burn as data, you can use other file systems.

[QUOTE=zaina;2231729]
You need a file system UDF 2.50 (or 2.60) IF you want to burn as Blu-ray video for blu-ray player compatibility reasons. If you want to burn as data, you can use other file systems.[/QUOTE]

Does’t Nero take care of that for you? When I burn DVD video, Nero auto. select and create the dir. audio_Ts, video_ts, and label the disk as DVD5 or DVD9 format.

[QUOTE=happy hopping;2231977]Does’t Nero take care of that for you? When I burn DVD video, Nero auto. select and create the dir. audio_Ts, video_ts, and label the disk as DVD5 or DVD9 format.[/QUOTE]

WHY should Nero care what YOU DO?

[quote=happy hopping;2231977]Does’t Nero take care of that for you? When I burn DVD video, Nero auto. select and create the dir. audio_Ts, video_ts, and label the disk as DVD5 or DVD9 format.[/quote]I haven’t use Nero for a long time for blu-ray/dvd burning but I know ImgBurn will choose a correct file system for you. I would recommend ImgBurn over Nero.

[QUOTE=zaina;2231729]You only need to format BD-RE (rewritable) media before using it. BD-R (write once) media doesn’t need to be formated first, just like in DVD-R or DVD+R.

You need a file system UDF 2.50 (or 2.60) IF you want to burn as Blu-ray video for blu-ray player compatibility reasons. If you want to burn as data, you can use other file systems.[/QUOTE]

thank you for the reply, if I were to use bd-re with dvdfab I wouldn’t have to format it or would I? I do not understand why the rewrite disk needs to be formatted, unless used for data maybe… again thanks:bow:

[quote=SLOVEHEART;2232491]thank you for the reply, if I were to use bd-re with dvdfab I wouldn’t have to format it or would I? I do not understand why the rewrite disk needs to be formatted, unless used for data maybe… again thanks:bow:[/quote]You still have to format it the BD-RE first. That’s the way it is. I think early in the days my first BD-RE is reformatted when I got it new but now all of them are not.