Need help wich video card i should get

i need help on video cards i have an 4 year old computer and it needs an new video card

my old video card is 128 mb drr
im worried if i get a wrong card it will not work
i want to get this video card 256 mb drr2 is this ok?

my specs is
2.0GHZ AMD athlon 64 processor 3200+
1.12 ram
video card is ATI radeon x200

[QUOTE=rolandc5;2295607]i need help on video cards i have an 4 year old computer and it needs an new video card

my specs is
1.12 ram
video card is ATI radeon x200[/QUOTE]

First off what kinda motherboard do you have would help alot?? That would at least determine what type of GPU you can use. Also your PS will have to be upgraded to handle the higher power GPU as well. So it just not just putting in a new video card if you plan to play PC games. Is your card PCI, AGP, PCI-E??

Most probably it is going to be an AGP mobo, so you will need an AGP card. Check it out first before you go for one though.

This isn’t really the way to decide, you have to provide the exact model, the type of memory on the card is not really relevant (nor really important).

[QUOTE=rolandc5;2295607]i need help on video cards i have an 4 year old computer and it needs an new video card

my specs is
1.12 ram
video card is ATI radeon x200[/QUOTE]

Also what do you intend to accomplish with that new video card? What do you expect it to do better. They’re not much different and can only do very basic things.

i dont really know what kind of motherboard it is but my video card right now is showing funny stuff and when i play left 4 dead it crashes and restarts computer.

my desktop is emachines t6212

Hi,[QUOTE=rolandc5;2295914]i dont really know what kind of motherboard it is [/quote]But this is the most important information. Do you have a manual of your computer?

[QUOTE=rolandc5;2295915]my desktop is emachines t6212[/QUOTE]According to http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/emachines-t6212/4505-3118_7-31341178.html there should be a PCI-Express 16x slot. The Radeon X200 you mentioned is chipset integrated.
Please read the manual to verify this.

Michael

[QUOTE=rolandc5;2295914]i dont really know what kind of motherboard it is but my video card right now is showing funny stuff and when i play left 4 dead it crashes and restarts computer.[/QUOTE]

This doesn’t strike me as the kind of problem you’d get with an underpowered graphics card.

While the current integrated ATI/AMD graphics solutions apparantly run fairly cool, I’m not sure how much heat the xpress 200 generates. Check that all fans in the system are running, especially if there is one on the motherboard (apart from the one attached to the processor).

If the integrated graphics has developed a fault however, It wouldn’t exactly be unlikely that other motherboard functionality has started failing.

The IGP (integrated graphics) uses the system memory. It might be that the memory has gone bad. Unfortunately, I doubt memory testing software (like memtest86+) can test the part of the memory that is allocated by the IGP. Before spending money on a new graphics card, see if you can borrow one (it doesn’t have to be powerful) to see if it solves the problem, and also download and run memtest86+ (it’s free).

You say that the system is four years old. While we don’t have emachines here, I understand that they have a reputation for poor quality. If the power supply they included was barely sufficient to power the machine under load (like when you play a game) when new, it could certainly have degraded enough by now that it can no longer manage it. A quality power supply doesn’t cost that much, you’d need it anyway if you get a faster graphics card, and you’d save money on electricity in the long run. 350W or so is probably plenty for what you have now + a lowend to midrange graphics card, add a bit more if you intend to get a faster card (which would be a waste with the rest of your current computer) or if you plan to use it in a future build. Unfortunately, most cheap powersupplies are junk, but a few examples of brands that you’d typically expect quality from are Seasonic, Channel well, Antec and Corsair

Aramchek, I doubt there is anything wrong with his PC. IGP SUCKS, and a game like L4D is very demanding, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it runs hot and causes the problems the OP is experiencing.

You need a decent video card to play L4D and any other new(er) games. The most efficient video card thats cheap and powerful enough to play some games is the AMD 4770. I would suggest to get this one:
XFX HD477AYDFC Radeon HD 4770 512MB

Your PSU might have enough power for it but I don’t know if your PSU has the PCIx power connectors on it (probably not). I just read the video cards description and it says it does include the power adapter, so your good to go in that department, just have to wait for it to come back in stock. check it daily.

edit: check to see that your case has enough room for the video card. Open it up and measure how much room (front to back) along the length of where the video card slot is, you would need atleast 8 inches.

my computer uses PCI express but the thing im really worried about is the DDR memory i can use. ive been looking a cheap video card its a
ATI RADEON X700 PRO 256MB PCI-EXPRESS looks like a good deal for me but
does this card have the enough power to play left 4 dead

Roland the memory on the video card has nothing to do with the memory of the CPU :slight_smile:

ohh ok thx alot guys especialy eric… my problem is now solved im going to buy one right now

ohh i got one more question… is wats that im suppose to look for too
because my power supply is 300w only

Read my post #9, the 4770 is the fastest you can get with your PSU.