Need help w/my gateway

:sad:

I have a Gateway MT3422 and I believe the motherboard is bad at this moment. It wont boot. When I plug in the powercord the (right) light (in front) comes on showing I have AC power pluged in. Then when I press the power/on button the left blue light comes on (in front) and the light for the Hard Drive (it has what looks like disks) blinks twice and at the same moment it sounds like the system is accessing the CD-Rom drive. And that’s it. It hangs there indefinitely. This takes about 2 seconds to get to this point. Help anyone???

thanks for all responses,

Majikwiz

From a quick search, it appears this model has LCD problems at times.

Anyway, was it working and all of a sudden quit?
Is there any reason why you think it is the mobo?
Did you do anything that may have caused it not to do a complete bootup?
Do you have an OS recovery disc?

When the memory chips come loose in their sockets, it stops the boot process. Try removing them completely and then placing them back in. Goggle your laptop to find out how to do this. I hope this helps.

Also shine a bright flash light at the screen at different angles and look at different angles.

This can sometimes tell you he difference between a failed video controller
and a failed “inverter” for the florescent backlighting for a typical LCD
screen (unless you KNOW your model has an LED backlight screen)

You can also connect an external monitor, but you typically need to hold
down the “Function” key (sometimes labeled “FN”) and one of the other
F-keys (F1-F12) to switch to the external monitor.

The issue is that “Black screen” on a notebook can be from either of these causes… but there is another cause.

That FN + F-numeral key combination can turn your perfectly normal display OFF.

on many computers (the Dells and HP’s that I have now plus an older gateway I gave away years ago) that key combination typically scrolls through four choices

the built-in Display (normal state)
External monitor
Both displays ON
(and on only some notebooks)
Both displays OFF

[QUOTE=Steve33;2681703]From a quick search, it appears this model has LCD problems at times.

Anyway, was it working and all of a sudden quit?
Is there any reason why you think it is the mobo?
Did you do anything that may have caused it not to do a complete bootup?
Do you have an OS recovery disc?[/QUOTE]

-yes all of a sudden would not boot. (I had turned it off and moved it)

• I think it’s the motherboard because of the experience in the past two month and problemd I have had.
    -Didn’t do anything and had shut it down correctly.
  • No OS recovery disk yet. It would have to post more to boot from one anyway.

thanks…(hmmmm…your name is not showing on this page here.

majikwiz

I will check the memory chips tonight when I get back home.

thanks Jethro

m

Majikwiz, the reason for questioning whether the mobo is really at fault is because of the LCD problems mentioned by others with this same notebook.
It could well be the mobo but as others have commented here first look at memory boards.
Then try to eliminate lcd screen problem.
Then it may not boot because of an OS problem or hard drive problem.

You did say the screen blinks…that actually might eliminate the lcd…not sure about that though.

If you have some sort of bootable cd lying around, you could put that in and see if a screen comes up…if it does, that would for sure eliminate lcd screen problem.

Just a guess but I would think the mobo would be about the last thing that would fail…but your model…there were mentions of the mobo dieing…

The screen “blinking” doesn’t eliminate the LCD, it actually points to it with an accusing finger.

That is common behavior for a bad LCD back-light inverter

The screen does not blink. the screen does nothing. read my starting post. that clearly describes what the laptop does in it’s 2 seconds of activity. I still have not had time to look at it but should get to it tonight. keep the comments coming. thanks everyone!!:stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, I see the blink refers to a light.

You didn’t include what OS is on this notebook, Gateway specs point to this being Vista 32 bit?

On my notebook, when I hold down the shift button and F2 button while turning on power, the bios screen comes up.
If I press F8 repeatedly after pressing the power on button then the advanced boot options screen comes up.

I don’t know if these same buttons will work on your notebook or not, perhaps someone else can verify or not but if they did work and you see a screen, that would indicate that your screen is working.

This is about all I can offer…perhaps others can/will help you further.

Ok so there are no beeps and no posting of any kind it just stops in 2 seconds and hangs. I have taken out the memory and put it back in. No change. What now?..anyone

Thanks, majikwiz

Seems similar to a video card/chip issue. I’d suggest reseating the video card, but it’s a laptop.

Can you plug your laptop into a desktop monitor, at boot, to determine if it’s showing anything?

The lack of any beeps means that it’s not even reaching bios initialisation.