Need help unlocking a computer please

Last weekend I went to the swap meet looking for bargains and found it, so I thought. I bought a laptop, turned on but showed a black screen with cursor on top corner, the seller told me that i just need to reinstall windows and that would take care of problem. I bought windows at a compueter store and after many tries returned to the store for a refund, that’s when the computer tech broke the news to me: the laptop is locked with a bios passsword and told me he can’t unlock it. Does any one out there have an idea or just take a loss and throw the laptop away? Please help as I’m also stuck with a new windows cd that cost me $100.00

I thought it was possible to reset the BIOS (Clear), but I am not sure whether this is possible for laptops too (usually there is a jumper setting involved)

Hi,

Laptops have more “severe” locking options, depending on the brand and model. This is by design in order to prevent getting data from a stolen laptop.
The manufacturer of the laptop can help, provided a proof of legit ownership can be given.

I guess, you’ve been ripped off…

Michael

A lot of laptops have a master password or procedure to get everything to default.

I’d need the exact brand, type and manufacturing date to check if there is a master password available.

Addition: Check out this article.

Thank you allfor your help, I’ll donatethis hp laptop to the nearest recycling center, hate getting ripped off…

Top B

Thank you for your help, unfortunatly it did not work.

[QUOTE=top b;2304958]Thank you for your help, unfortunatly it did not work.[/QUOTE]

Then your left with contacting the company and telling them you bought it second hand and have your receipt ready to prove to them that you bought it legally. That is your only option that is left right now if you weren’t able to reset the password. This should be a warning to all those looking to buy laptop second or flea market or used store. Check to see if you can get into the BIOS if you can’t stay away from that store or seller. Anyone putting a password onto a laptop in my sense is just ludicuos cause what if you forgot or lost the password then what. If you have the receipt then your in luck and if not then your going to have to use your CC or some kinda bill of sale to prove to them that it was bought legit.

Most laptops have a BIOS clear switch or button. The trick is knowing where it is. Some of them are as simplistic as sticking a paperclip in a hole and shorting out the MB, some of them you have to open the laptop up and find the button.

Until I became disabled and lost my computer biz, I worked on laptops as well as built desktops and servers. You should be able to find a forum for most any laptop and get some help there finding the BIOS clear.

I wouldn’t give up yet, you might still be able to start over with the thing.

Good luck.

[QUOTE=geo_D;2305137]Most laptops have a BIOS clear switch or button. The trick is knowing where it is. Some of them are as simplistic as sticking a paperclip in a hole and shorting out the MB, some of them you have to open the laptop up and find the button.

Until I became disabled and lost my computer biz, I worked on laptops as well as built desktops and servers. You should be able to find a forum for most any laptop and get some help there finding the BIOS clear.

I wouldn’t give up yet, you might still be able to start over with the thing.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

That is possible but as before there is a reason why laptop companies don’t give this out as this is to prevent stolen laptop that is the main reason why most of us here say take it to the dealer cause we have no way of knowing who own that laptop.

“there is a reason why laptop companies don’t give this out”

I’ve found the information in manuals accompanying laptops, I’ve found it in help files, it’s not a hard and fast rule that manufacturers don’t give out the information on how to clear a BIOS.

Well, you might be able to reset the Bios password by CMOS reset on certain laptops.
But you won’t be able to gain access to business class laptops from Dell, HP, IBM/Lenovo that way.

Michael

@happymark

I have worked on many computers and have never seen the
battery soldered ln :disagree:
it has always been held by clips :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2451923]@happymark

I have worked on many computers and have never seen the
battery soldered ln :disagree:
it has always been held by clips :)[/QUOTE]

Thats cause spammers want you to buy there spammy crap…:rolleyes: