Need help understanding these Kprobe2 results

vbimport

#1

Hi. Recently got a Liteon 124b burner and i am using Tesco DVD+R DLs. One copy has come out good. One other past verification on imgburn and two others didnt.
when I do get errors they seem to get to the 50% mark? Is this a layer break issue?
I scanned 2 dvds in kprobe and got these results. can anyone tell em what they mean?
DVD1:
Date : 23/07/2012 12:09:16
Model : 3-1-1-0 F:ATAPI iHAS124 B AL0S
Disc : DVD+R DL , UMEDISCDL1@ [UME Disc Ltd.]
Speed : Max
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 4267013
Sampling count : 229791
Errors : 0
PI Max : 1408
PI Average : 37.83
PI Total : 1160240
PIF Max : 197
PIF Average : 2.03
PIF Total : 62225

DVD2:
Date : 23/07/2012 12:24:33
Model : 3-1-1-0 F:ATAPI iHAS124 B AL0S
Disc : DVD+R DL , UMEDISCDL1@ [UME Disc Ltd.]
Speed : Max
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 4267021
Sampling count : 231478
Errors : 0
PI Max : 1230
PI Average : 44.19
PI Total : 1356115
PIF Max : 209
PIF Average : 1.00
PIF Total : 30834

I burnt the above 2 discs at x1 speed in imgburn. They both are unreadble.


#2

Hi trydowave

Welcome to the forum :flower:

I’m not familiar with the media your using however you should never burn at MAX which the log you provided shows , try reducing the burn speed to the rated speed for the media and see if that helps.

[B]SJ[/B]


#3

Hi. I used imgburn to burn the actual discs. I did this at 1x speed, lower than teh recommended 2.4x. These scans, done in kprobe were tests of the burn (i think. im new to all this)


#4

Hi trydowave

According to your log posted shown below you are burning at MAX…

DVD1:
Date : 23/07/2012 12:09:16
Model : 3-1-1-0 F:ATAPI iHAS124 B AL0S
Disc : DVD+R DL , UMEDISCDL1@ [UME Disc Ltd.]
[B]Speed : Max[/B]
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 4267013
Sampling count : 229791

You are definitely using one of the best burning software available, but as I said I’m not familiar with the media your using, I suggest using either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden for your archive needs.

BTW…Burning to slow can be just as bad as burning to fast.

[B]SJ[/B]


#5

ah i didnt know that burning too slow was bad. the discs i used were tescos (uk) own brand of DL. there finished now i will be on the look out for another brand.
ill get back to u if the new batch fails
cheers


#6

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2645182]Hi trydowave

According to your log posted shown below you are burning at MAX…
(snip…)
[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]

That looks like the KProbe log, and the disc was scanned at max speed (maybe 12x, if I had to guess).

The drive won’t burn any slower than its minimum supported speed. If 2.4x is the lowest offered by the LiteOn for these Umedisc media, then that’s what the discs were written at. Just information for future burning & an addendum to SJ’s great advice and info. :slight_smile:

We look forward to hearing of future success with different discs. :iagree:

BTW: yes, errors at 50% are probably a result of a failed layer jump.


#7

Thanks Albert for pointing that out about the scan speed for the KProbe log, was not aware of that because I don’t use that utility, hopefully the change in media will solve trydowave issue. :slight_smile: