Need help to combine S028.bin file?

Hi all,

Some years back I purchased a Digital Research CD-RW (model # BCE 5224IM) made by Top-G. It was also packaged as a MagicSpin and IO Magic, I believe. Problem is it never worked and I had a friend try to flash the drive and he screwed it up. So it sat in my closet all these years. I know much more about computers now so I thought I’d try to resurrect the drive on another backup pc of mine. I have it set as master on the 2nd IDE and, after flashing it using Mtkwinflash and S027.bin, all I get is the tray opening and closing every 5 seconds or so.

I searched the forum archives and found a thread devoted to this burner and some very helpful input from a fellow forum member (pcsteve). He had uploaded a split bin file (S028.zip and S028.z01.rename.zip). He briefly described renaming the 2nd part of the bin file to S028.z01 and then unzipping the file using WinRar. WinRar would combine the file and you’d be good to go. For those who couldn’t recombine the file he kindly sent an email with the full bin file attached. So here I am over 3 years later with the same problem! I can’t, for the life of me, recombine the two parts and I’ve searched the web to no avail for this bin file, S028.

Every time I try to rename the WinRar file, (S028.z01.rename.zip) on my desktop I run into trouble. It’s really frustrating to have the right bin file in front of me and realizing I’m not as smart as I thought I was, PC-wise! Can anyone take the time to give me a quicky tutorial on combining zip files? I think I can take it from there. Thanks so much.

Gary

I think HJSplit can recombine the files. :iagree: Just rename as according to the original instructions, place the two halves in a folder with HJSplit, run HJSplit, and wait for a single file to be produced. :slight_smile: Then you can extract from there.

Hi,[quote=glohworm;2023377]
Every time I try to rename the WinRar file, (S028.z01.rename.zip) on my desktop I run into trouble. [/quote]Make sure, file extensions are not hidden. You can change that option in the folder properties of Windows Explorer.

off topic:

Took you almost 6 years to post…But glad to have you here :slight_smile: :clap:

Bob,

I was hoping no one would spot that!:o Looks like I’ll need 13,367 posts to catch up. Anyway, thanks for the timely replies you guys. But I have this feeling I’m going to be stepping on my “tweenkie” on this one. I’ll post back in any event. Thanks again.

Gary

[QUOTE=glohworm;2023446]Bob,

I was hoping no one would spot that!:o Looks like I’ll need 13,367 posts to catch up. Anyway, thanks for the timely replies you guys. But I have this feeling I’m going to be stepping on my “tweenkie” on this one. I’ll post back in any event. Thanks again.

Gary[/QUOTE]Good luck Gary and nice to meet you :slight_smile: