Need help testing my Burner/Media Quality

vbimport

Hey guys,

i just bought a new NEC 3540A (My first DVD-R drive) and i was wondering
about the right way to test it.

i used the Nero CD-DVD speed 3.80 and got the following results.

PI error:
max: 49
average: 18.5

PI Failures:
Max: 13
average: 0.1

The media is Silverline X8 DVD-R. and it is 2.7GB full.

aer those good results?

when should i be afraid from bad results and what should be the result of such?

To get a really good test, you need to burn a full 4.5gb. Those results are good for what you have. You need to read the forum for PI/PIF error testing, and you will find the Good is considered when PI errors are below 200, and PIF errors are below 4. But just because a dvd meets that standard, doesn’t necessarily mean that its a good burn. If all the errors occur in one particular area of the dvd, that is bad. Your .1 average PIF is good.

Save your test as a png. file, upload to thread and post so we can see where your erors are happening. And as harley said, do a search on Pi/Pif testing and read up. I’ve never heard of Silverline media therefore I must presume that it’s a generic or lessor grade media. If possible, try to stay with known high grade medias especially if your burning something that’s important to you and you want to have it for a length of time. It is worth spending a few more dollars on quality media. If your in the states you can order TY’s from either www.rima.com or www.supermediastore.com You’ll see that this media(Taiyo Yuden) is the media of choice by a very large percentage of the members of this site. Good luck, Happy Burnin and welcome to the forum.

Mark

Here is the PNG you asked for.

what do you think? can i trust this burn?

Not Fantastic, but a keeper that should play just fine. With better media, you will see quality scores in the high 90’s rather than the lower 90’s.

Also, always run your scans at 8x.

harley… Ya took the words right out of my fingertips. :stuck_out_tongue:

ok, ill keep that in mind. why is that?

if i burn slower then media’s max speed, will i get better results?

and another thing, should i follow the rule of every burn over 90% is a keeper?

8x scan speed is the standard that the majority of us use here, so it helps us to compare apples to apples.

Burning slower on most media will produce a better burn to some degree, however, a 16x burner is meant to burn at speeds of 8x - 16x. If you have crap media and want to burn it slower in an attempt to get better results, you are better off burning in a 8x burner. That is why I have one 8x burner left in my system config. But, you will have to experiment with each different media when you are using off brands. If you buy the quality media like verbatim, or taiyo yuden, you can feel very confident about burning the media at it’s full rated speed, and usually a little higher. 8x taiyo yuden burns very well in most burners at up to 16x, with excellent results at 12x. If I’m doing a system backup of critical files, I will burn at 8x to 12x to ensure a high quality burn, on 16x rated media.

I wouldn’t be satisfied with a 90% burn myself. I would feel much more comfortable with around 94 - 95%, but I burn dvd’s for customers, so I set I higher standard for my burns. If you are just doing movies and stuff for fun and personal use, 90% is fine as long as it still plays ok in your standalone. Watch for deals on fujifilm media, and made in japan media, and you will get much better results at nearly the same price.

what about these results

Passable, the disc probably will read okay, but you really don’t want PI Errors to go above 280.

You’ll probably want to invest in some better media than that, as well.

Yeah… What he said… It will probably play ok, and may work for months, but cheap media has a habit of not working after a couple of months, or uses. They degrade rapidly. If you are just making copies of movies and stuff to watch a few times, or music and stuff that you can recreate without much stress, than go for it. But if it’s important, go for better media.

I said it before and I’ll say it one more time.

If possible, try to stay with known high grade medias especially if your burning something that’s important to you and you want to have it for a length of time. It is worth spending a few more dollars on quality media. If your in the states you can order TY’s from either www.rima.com or www.supermediastore.com You’ll see that this media(Taiyo Yuden) is the media of choice by a very large percentage of the members of this site. Good luck, Happy Burnin and welcome to the forum.