Need help! Settings utlity for liteon writers (v1.2.1) / Smartburn 3.x not seeing iHAS324!

vbimport

I just bought the iHAS324. When I try the smartburn utility / Settings utility I can’t set any options at all as they’re all greyed out. Need some serious help here :sad:

I read in another thread that the sata ports might be causing a problem. AFAIK, the mobo used is Palit N73PV which uses the Nvidia Geforce7100/nForce 630i chipset. Is this why the utility is not seeing the drive? Any solutions?

I tried using nero & there’s no dvd-rom booktype option. Imgburn fails when I attempt to use the booktype option to set it to dvd-rom as well with a “no additional sense” error.

Actually what I’m thinking of if the sata ports are the cause, can I hook it up to a mobo which uses the intel chipset like the gigabyte p35-ds4 and enable the smartburn, booktype etc on it and hook it back to the mobo with the nvidia chipset. Will this solve the problem? :bow:

It’s a -[B]Y[/B] drive which is a relabeled Optiarc / NEC and not a “true” Mediatek chipset based LiteOn. To get the best performance out of it, I would recommend crossflashing it with a Liggy firmware (note this will void your warranty). This will enable bitsetting.

Only iHASn24 [B]A[/B] belong to the classic Mediatek-based LiteOn designs supporting HT and OHT.

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2514032]It’s a -[B]Y[/B] drive which is a relabeled Optiarc / NEC and not a “true” Mediatek chipset based LiteOn. To get the best performance out of it, I would recommend crossflashing it with a Liggy firmware (note this will void your warranty). This will enable bitsetting.

Only iHASn24 [B]A[/B] belong to the classic Mediatek-based LiteOn designs supporting HT and OHT.[/QUOTE]
Any tutorial for crossflashing? But first of all, when you mentioned that this is not a “true” mediatek chipset drive, what exactly do you mean? That it’s using another chipset? Can you point me to a link that has the correct “A” firmware as well?

The flash utility can’t see the drive as well… what gives…

Again, you do NOT have a MTK-based LO drive in order to use the utilities that C0deKing have developed. You cannot crossflash a ‘Y’ to an ‘A’, or vice versa. What gives is that you need to understand what type of drive you have before using any of the tools.

-A LiteOns (original LiteOn/MTK design) and -Y LiteOns (Optiarc/NEC OEM) are equipped with different hardware, therefore you cannot crossflash A to Y or vice versa.

If crossflashing is an option at all, you can only crossflash it to Optiarc AD-7240S, with tools that are suitable for Optiarc/NEC drives (Binflash). Firmwares for 7240S can be found here: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7240S/

Thanks, I think I’ll just let it go for I am not going get stuck with a piece of crap drive like NEC/Optiarc. I only have myself to blame for not realizing there was a rebadged version & missing out this minor detail.

But before I end this discussion. It did come in a liteon retail box. Am I right to say that this isn’t a liteon at all since smartburn isn’t even available? Not to mention HT/OHT…

[QUOTE=Bloodlust;2514088]
But before I end this discussion. It did come in a liteon retail box. Am I right to say that this isn’t a liteon at all since smartburn isn’t even available? Not to mention HT/OHT…[/QUOTE]

No it is a Liteon drive but… in name only… as the internal chip-set is NEC just the same as
was said earlier it is the same as a Optiarc AD-7240S. The real Liteon drives like the IHAS324-A are
getting harder and harder to find most place only carry the Y version. Now if you want a drive that can
be cross flashed into a real [U][B]A [/B][/U]Liteon then get yourself a [B]ASUS DRW-24B1LT/BLK/B/AS[/B] which is a
real Liteon[U][B] A [/B][/U] series drive that has been cloned into an Asus and can be cross-flashed into a IHAS424-A
or even a IHAS524-A and possibly if you could find the firmware for it a IHAS624-A.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135209

It is not a “piece of crap” as you’ve indicated. You cannot judge a drive by its supported features alone. Sure it’s nice to have all the different, adjustable settings, but that doesn’t necessarily indicate it will produce the best burns.

[QUOTE=getit29;2514095]No it is a Liteon drive but… in name only… as the internal chip-set is NEC just the same as
was said earlier it is the same as a Optiarc AD-7240S. The real Liteon drives like the IHAS324-A are
getting harder and harder to find most place only carry the Y version. Now if you want a drive that can
be cross flashed into a real [U][B]A [/B][/U]Liteon then get yourself a [B]ASUS DRW-24B1LT/BLK/B/AS[/B] which is a
real Liteon[U][B] A [/B][/U] series drive that has been cloned into an Asus and can be cross-flashed into a IHAS424-A
or even a IHAS524-A and possibly if you could find the firmware for it a IHAS624-A.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135209[/QUOTE]

That’s real sound advice. I’ll keep a lookout for this Asus clone…:bow:

[QUOTE=KTL;2514097]It is not a “piece of crap” as you’ve indicated. You cannot judge a drive by its supported features alone. Sure it’s nice to have all the different, adjustable settings, but that doesn’t necessarily indicate it will produce the best burns.[/QUOTE]

Well, all this while I never thought much about Optiarc. So in terms of burn quality overall is this on par or better than the real liteon?

It is not a “piece of crap” as you’ve indicated
Completely agree.

Both the A & Y versions of the drive are extremely capable and on some threads you we see people claiming the Y appears to be a better burner - may / may not be true ???

If you do want to be 100% sure you get a ‘true’ Liteon you will need to either get confirmation from the retailer prior to order that the model is IHAS 24-* A or order a 524.

The 524 is the only drive to offer labeltag which is not supported by a NEC based drive therefore all these are MTK and support all Liteons utilities.

Just make sure the 524 meets your needs as the 324, 424, 524 etc have slightly different features.

[QUOTE=Bloodlust;2514088]Thanks, I think I’ll just let it go for I am not going get stuck with a piece of crap drive like NEC/Optiarc.[/QUOTE]

Optiarc AD-724xS are in fact excellent drives … when it comes to burn quality they are actually better than MTK drives … but as a quality scanner they are not as good as the MTK LiteONs …

Ok, maybe this rebadge is as good as you guys claim. But when I use nero to burn data, the ultra buffer goes up and down thruout the process, is this normal?

[QUOTE=getit29;2514095]No it is a Liteon drive but… in name only… as the internal chip-set is NEC just the same as

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135209[/QUOTE]
Can the ASUS DRW-24B1ST be crossflashed to the iHAS324-A?