Need help recovering DW-Q58A from bad flash

vbimport

Hello,
I have flashed the DVD drive of my Sony laptop with a false firmware…
The drive is a Sony DW-Q58A. Does it have a Mediatek chipset? Can I flash it with Mtkflash?

The original firmware version is UFS2 and I don’t have a backup of it. Can anybody make this file available here for me to download please?

Thanks for the help.

[QUOTE=manamana;2672865]Hello,
I have flashed the DVD drive of my Sony laptop with a false firmware…
The drive is a Sony DW-Q58A. Does it have a Mediatek chipset? Can I flash it with Mtkflash?

The original firmware version is UFS2 and I don’t have a backup of it. Can anybody make this file available here for me to download please?

Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]
Welcome to MyCE :flower:

How did you manage to flash a wrong firmware to it?

Firmwares for the drive can be found here.

Thank You for answer.
I run an executable program (installer) which was made only for SONY DVD RW DW-Q31A drive.
So my computer was frozen and I had to remove the DVD-drive, to make the computer working.

Now I want to resurrect the DVD-drive. For this purpose I need an appropriate firmware (UFS2) as bin-file. Then, if I could use Mtkflash for my drive DW-Q58A, I could flash the memory chip.
Can I use Mtkflash? I’m asking, because there is a warning on the website http://digi.rpc1.org/mtkflash.htm, that using Mtkflash can destroy the drive if it has not a Mediatek-chipset.

I made a mistake to place the thread here. Can You move it to the “LiteOn / PLDS / Sony Writer” Sub-Forum please?

Thanks

[QUOTE=manamana;2672950]I made a mistake to place the thread here. Can You move it to the “LiteOn / PLDS / Sony Writer” Sub-Forum please?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Sorted. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=manamana;2672950]Thank You for answer.
I run an executable program (installer) which was made only for SONY DVD RW DW-Q31A drive.
So my computer was frozen and I had to remove the DVD-drive, to make the computer working.

Now I want to resurrect the DVD-drive. For this purpose I need an appropriate firmware (UFS2) as bin-file. Then, if I could use Mtkflash for my drive DW-Q58A, I could flash the memory chip.
Can I use Mtkflash? I’m asking, because there is a warning on the website http://digi.rpc1.org/mtkflash.htm, that using Mtkflash can destroy the drive if it has not a Mediatek-chipset.

I made a mistake to place the thread here. Can You move it to the “LiteOn / PLDS / Sony Writer” Sub-Forum please?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
You have re-installed the drive to test it? Is it seen in the bios or Windows?
I don’t find any .bin firmwares around, but you may have success by using the Flashfix method described in this thread.

Hello,
I reinstalled the drive. Then I had to try to start the computer many times before it worked and Windows started. The drive is neither listed in BIOS nor in Windows devicemanager. The hdd runs all the time. I have used Flash Fix und got a message - see the image. After this post I will try to restart the computer and see if it is failed or not.
Unfortunately the BIOS does not support boot from usb-disk-drive, how I found out.
Now I don’t know what I can do to save the drive.

I would edit the the title of the thread to: “Need firmware for DW-Q58A” or so, if I could and. Could a moderator do this for me?

Thanks

You can find the following two dumps below:

SONY DVD RW DW-Q58A UFS4 Sep29 ,2006 (UFS4-2)
SONY DVD RW DW-Q58A UFY2 Oct02 ,2006 (UFY2-2, NEWEST firmware)

Link: http://www69.zippyshare.com/v/13869899/file.html

In all honesty, this is an ancient drive, which most likely lacks any / any decent writing strategies for today’s media. You’ll be better off by buying a cheap, newer generation, IDE replacement drive from eBay, preferably one which can be moded and for which there are plenty of firmwares around.

(tweaked thread title to reflect the current state of affairs)

@cvs: Thank You for the link.
@Albert: Thank You also for the help.

I will try Mtkflash. I have read the first page of this threadhttp://club.myce.com/f44/oc-freaks-firmware-collection-mtkflash-guide-42502/
But I don’t know how to manage to start a boot diskette.
The BIOS has no option for activating “BOOT from USB” or “removable devices”. In the BOOT menu I can change the order of devices.
My laptop only has an external USB floppy drive. I have tried to boot from it, but Windows XP started. Will it boot from the floppy, when I remove the harddisk drive? Will removing the harddisk not destroy the motherboard?