Need help printing on CD sleeves

Hi guys. I am responsible for putting together image cd’s for my family reunion. I have over 100 CD’s to be mailed off. From the start my idea was to use CD sleeves like this.

http://www.sleevetown.com/300images/10725.jpg

Then I was gonna use photoshop to create a cover, then print it out on the sleeve. I figured this would not only be good looking and cost effective, but also protect the disc, and keep shipping low. My problem is, I can’t get the cover centered on the sleeve! I tried using the card feeder, but the image is always to the left or right. I have blown several sleeves, and wasted ink. What do I need to make this work? I am using a HP Office Jet All in One printer. I need to get this right before I’m out of pocket. Please help me!

Maybe not what you had in mind, but what about printing 2 labels on a sheet of photo paper or other high-res paper, then cutting them out and gluing to the sleeve? You’d want to find a glue that doesn’t wrinkle or penetrate the paper. Maybe double-sided tape. The sleeves prolly aren’t suitable for inkjet anyhow, it might rub off or soak in and blur.

[QUOTE=CDan;2288648]Maybe not what you had in mind, but what about printing 2 labels on a sheet of photo paper or other high-res paper, then cutting them out and gluing to the sleeve? You’d want to find a glue that doesn’t wrinkle or penetrate the paper. Maybe double-sided tape. The sleeves prolly aren’t suitable for inkjet anyhow, it might rub off or soak in and blur.[/QUOTE]

Nice idea, but cutting, and gluing could get sloppy, and time consuming. I going for a professional look.

Are you familiar with those inserts that are pre-cut? You print your image on them, then peel them apart for a perfect fit. Those would really come in handy, but I don’t know who makes them, or how to search for them. If anyone knows what I’m talking about, that would be very helpful. :iagree:

[QUOTE=thablewprnt;2288586]I have blown several sleeves, and wasted ink.[/QUOTE]

I would suggest that you cut some card/paper to the same size as your cd sleeves and use b&w draft output on your printer until you get the image in the correct place. If I remember rightly, Photoshop always prints in the middle of the paper, so create a custom paper size to match your CD sleeves and then change the print size of your image to match.

Sláinte

midders

[QUOTE=midders;2288827]I would suggest that you cut some card/paper to the same size as your cd sleeves and use b&w draft output on your printer until you get the image in the correct place. If I remember rightly, Photoshop always prints in the middle of the paper, so create a custom paper size to match your CD sleeves and then change the print size of your image to match.

Sláinte

midders[/QUOTE]

Great idea, I’ll give that a try. :iagree:

I don’t know how well these would work but may give you idea:

http://www.buy-labels-online.com/pages/wl-OL475.htm

They make spray adhesive that works great. Just be sure to use it outside or in a well ventilated room. The only downside is overspray, it gets on your hands, wrist, upper arm and anything below it. Other than that, easy.

I use Word to print onto sleeves. I first did a print on plain paper to setup where to print, then I used these settings to setup a template. I can add text, pictures or the combination of both.

My wife loves Karaoke so I find a picture for the Karaoke then add the song titles to the picture. That way I can make her Karaoke cd’s with just the songs she wants for that night.

Normally I do not print the sleeves as I have been using ink jet printable discs. Someone gave me a spindle of non-printable DVDs.
As I had a budget job to be inserted in the back of a bound book, I decided to use them up for this job.
I never though of printing the CD sleeves before, but your post gave me the idea. Why not I thought. Turns out to be rather easy to do.
I simply set up a letter size page in Ventura Publisher (you could use Microsoft Word or Illustrator or whatever you have) and set the page margins to 3.5 in on right. My printer is an Epson R280, which prints the top of the sheet first. Check to see which way your printer prints. I created two text boxes-one for each line of type and put a 4 inch frame between them to allow for the clear window area of the sleeve, where you do not want to print.
I inverted the text in the two text boxes and fed the closed side of the CD sleeve first into my printer. You do not want to feed the flap side first. Printed about 60 sleeves with no problem at all. Recommend that you load about 10 sleeves at a time into your printer and that you fan the stack slightly to insure you are not feeding multiple sleeves at once into your printer.
Works for me!

yes if you are talking about the fold up sleeves that have adhesive but the company that had me evaluating them decided not to make them. That was a few years ago when it seemed no one cared about printing on sleeves and now everyone wants them. I talked to them again and they had no memory (I have the samples :frowning: ) I to would be interested. I’ve got to see if I can get someone to make them. Hopefully no patent. They were a little fiddly though. Folding tabs… I could not see someone doing 100 and not going completely mad. Well maybe a CD Freaks member :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=thablewprnt;2288822]Nice idea, but cutting, and gluing could get sloppy, and time consuming. I going for a professional look.

Are you familiar with those inserts that are pre-cut? You print your image on them, then peel them apart for a perfect fit. Those would really come in handy, but I don’t know who makes them, or how to search for them. If anyone knows what I’m talking about, that would be very helpful. :iagree:[/QUOTE]