Need help philips blu ray burner

hi

i have a new philips blu ray burner (BD-RE BDD1001), and am having some problems. when the computer is freshly turned on i can see it fine in my computer, and device manager sees it and reports that it is working. but when i try to play a dvd movie or rip a dvd or a blu ray disc it seems to work for about a minute then it will crash, the software will freeze and after forcing it to shut down with task manager then either the burner wont see the disc in it or my computer wont even see the drive any longer.

This happens with all softwares ie dvd shrink, any dvd, dvd decrypter, power dvd etc…

The burner did not come with any install discs and the seller said that it didnt come with one (sale was OEM whatever that means) and i cannot find anything on philips web site

I have tried anything that i have come across browsing this stie for help including removing upper and lower filters and have made all the IDE settings to DMAand am now running out of ideas

I wonder if it is maybe a faulty drive or maybe something along the lines of a faulty motherboard or power supply. I have a fairly new pc probs is about coming up on 2yrs old its a dual core pentuim D 3.3ghz, 2g ram has currenlty a hard drive running on sata with no problems to date. running xp with service pack3

wow not a single reply should this thread be in the blu ray section?

Do you have the same problems with any other dvd/cd drive in the machine?

Do you have another computer to test this particular drive in?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2208051]Do you have the same problems with any other dvd/cd drive in the machine?

Do you have another computer to test this particular drive in?[/QUOTE]

no, the dvd burner i took out to install this one was working fine

yes maybe… if same prob in other machine then is it a faulty drive?

thankyou for your help

That’s my thinking yes.

See if you can isolate the problem to either the drive or the computer by testing this Philips drive in another computer, and by testing a drive that is known to be good here in your computer.

I found this forum while looking to buy the Philipps BDD1001 blu-ray burner for my own Dell XPS desktop. That burner is not cheap to buy by what I’ve found so far - it costs like $300 smackaroos! The unit comes OEM with certain Dell desktop machines. If I were you I’d start by contacting Phillips asking them if they know of a software disk for that burner. By the sound of what’s been mentioned so far there’s probably none but I’d check anyway. Then I’d contact Dell support asking what software they use to run the burner in their Dell machines. It’s most-likely Cyberlink software.

Since you’ve tried Blu-Ray softwares already and haven’t had any luck, I’d check the Dell website using the model numbers of the machines that carry that particular burner. I’d check-over their drivers and firmware updates and such. If none of them worked, still - I’d return the unit to the guy you bought it from to get your money back giving him a hard time about the matter, if needed.

[QUOTE=t00nb0t;2207332]hi

i have a new philips blu ray burner (BD-RE BDD1001), and am having some problems. when the computer is freshly turned on i can see it fine in my computer, and device manager sees it and reports that it is working. but when i try to play a dvd movie or rip a dvd or a blu ray disc it seems to work for about a minute then it will crash, the software will freeze and after forcing it to shut down with task manager then either the burner wont see the disc in it or my computer wont even see the drive any longer… [/QUOTE]
The whole Blu-Ray burner thing is very new. There are numerous issues depending on OS, 64bit, HDCP etc. I’m confused as why you bought this specific model and why not buy from someone like NewEgg or Amazon and choose a burner that has numerous customer reviews.

Right here at CDFreaks, this burner was favorably reviewed:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/LG-GBW-H20L-Super-Multi-Blue-Review/

Some customer comments from Amazon.

And it seems to come with the software you’ll need to get started.