Need help on connecting my xbox 2 my pc!

vbimport

Hi,
I’m wanting to connect my XBOX to my computer, mainly for the purpose of file sharing, and im having a lot of difficulty in doing so. :confused:

I followed a set of instructions on how to create a simple FTP “The Black Wizard” but no luck.

I have two Network cards (one with my Broadband connection) and a CAT 6 network cable. I currently have have my Broadband hooked up as normal on ONE Network card and my XBOX directly linked to the other network card.

Will this kind of network allow me to COPY files off the xbox to my computer??

PLEASE HELP!!! :bow:

Xbox is modded. EvolutionX

Hi and welcome aboard :slight_smile:

You need a few things. First you need to setup your network in Windows properly. Are you running Windows XP?

As you directly connect your XBOX to a network card, you’ll need a crossover UTP cable to get it to work.

Also, you need to setup your dashboard to either get an automatic IP address (by DHCP) or a static one. Then you can use the FTP protocol to connect to the XBOX.

Let us know on what subject you need more information!

Yes I am running windows XP.

I have both a Cat5 & Cat6 cable. I am not sure which one is a crossover cable. Can you tell?

And i’m not 100% sure on how to setup all the IP stuff?? And do u have to send some signal from the xbox before the computer will recognise it??

Also, will setting up an FTP allow me to browse the files on my XBOX??

Thankyou HEAPS!!

Okay… I had problems with this before. All you need to do is go into settings on your xbox then navigate to IP address then enter in 192.168.0.2 for IP then go to default gateway and enter 192.168.0.1 and make sure you have a static IP in the same menu. Make sure FTP is ON and password is ‘xbox’. Go to the bottom of the menu and select ‘save and exit’. Then you connect your cat 6 (crossover) cable to your computer. Go to start-control panel-network connections. There right click on your unused network card and go to ‘properties’. Now go to the bottom and select TCP/IP and click ‘properties’ then you will see a window where you will enter your ip address. Click the button for ‘Use the Following IP Address’ and enter 192.168.0.1 for IP. Subnet mask will appear when you click it - don’t change this. Now enter 192.168.0.2 for the default gateway. Click ok and close. Now use an ftp program - I reccomend FlashFXP - and connect to 192.168.0.2 with User Name: xbox and Password: xbox. Now hopefully you will see all your xbox drives lettered C D E F X Y Z or something.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

What a crossover cable is? It’s a different wired network cable. It’s a special cable for connecting two network cards without something like a switch in between.

Here is the difference in cables.

Hey,

I'm actually pretty pissed atm!

I used to be able to connect my xbox to my pc as easy as pie. I used to connect it on the IP 192.168.0.4 and it worked fine, I use FlashFXP to FTP to my xbox and blah blah and it used to all work great…

Now one of my mates came over and his xbox had a different IP to mine, so we changed the IP settings on the network connection to suit his xbox, and yes, his xbox connected to the PC and we FTP’d and everything.

Then when I came back to connect my xbox to my PC again, it wont connect to the computer or FlashFXP. Ive changed all the IP settings back to suit my xbox and have configured FlashFXP to the same IP and it still wont connect.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA AS TO HOW IT ISNT WORKING??

Thanks… Luke

i have x 3 c.e on my xbox and i have a hub on my computer and everytime i try to connect it just takes the connection away from my computer and it still doesnt let me connect my xbox. if someone would help me out with some instructions on how exactly to ftp my xbox to my computer b/c i’m kinda new. it would help out a lot. :doh:

You need a router or a crossover cable. A hub won’t really do the job.

Look, ive never established a connection, and im doing exactly what youve written, i dont know what to do!! im noticing that in my Xbox Setting menu, it shows blank next to “type” and 0.0.0.0 next to “IP”. Does this mean that my xbox is not well connected to my pc? i need some help from anyone please

grrrrrrrrr pleeeeeeease some help me, I usually use the above settings to connect my xbox to my pc, have tried this today and its not connecting, hope someone can help me as im just about to launch my pc out the window. I use flashfxp to treansfer files to my xbox via ethernet cable but today its not having any of it.
Please can someone advise on what to do
kindest regards
carly xx

I would throw the xbox out the window before throwing the PC out.

I remember there were times where my xbox would boot, but it would not detect the network. It happened all too often from what I recall. Maybe a simple reset?

Failing that, try replacing the cable that connects the two.

[QUOTE=champersbaby;2308414]grrrrrrrrr pleeeeeeease some help me, I usually use the above settings to connect my xbox to my pc, have tried this today and its not connecting, hope someone can help me as im just about to launch my pc out the window. I use flashfxp to treansfer files to my xbox via ethernet cable but today its not having any of it.
Please can someone advise on what to do
kindest regards
carly xx[/QUOTE]

well i transfer files to XBox1 (running XBMC (T3CH XBMC 2009-06-01 9.04.1-FIXED-Babylon)) fairly often and don’t have problems at all.

if you got a Router it’s best to use that as it will make it nice and simple but if you use a ethernet cable (connected directly from PC’s ethernet port to the XBox1’s ethernet port) you need to make sure it’s a ‘crossover cable’ otherwise it wont work as you can’t just use a standard ethernet cable that you normally can use if you got a router.

but if your using a crossover cable you have to setup IP’s manually on the XBox1 (on XBMC) and your PC side of things.

p.s. FlashFXP is nice but lately i been using the FREE FileZilla and that seems to work fine to.