Need help! Liteon 451s --->Dead

I’ve Liteon 451s with GSB6 firmware. After I use ltnRPC,My front LED is blinkink in green color.:confused: My drive can’t read or burn anymore. I can eject by press the button or use windows command. I thought my drive was die. So I try flash the drive with Liteon frimware flah program. But it doesn’t work. The LED still blinking. What’s goning on my drive? What should I do?
Thanks for your help.
wammy28:confused:

I’ll take a shot at it since no one else is speaking up.

It sounds like the rpc program changed something it shouldn’t have in your eeprom and now the checksum isn’t correct so it doesn’t want to run.

First I’d pull an eeprom image.

Next, if the rpc program will still address the drive try putting it back to the setting it was before you changed it.

If that didn’t fix it then pull another eeprom image and compare the two files - maybe you’ll luck out and find just one difference between the two, if you do then that’s probably the byte being changed. (use DOS’s “FC” command for this)

Now once you know the address being changed ask some friendly 451 owners if they’d pull their eeproms and ask what the value at that location is.

Once you know that then edit the eeprom file and load it back.

Another approach is to simply edit the eeprom to 00, load the eeprom, reboot, see if it works. If it doesn’t try 01, etc… Somewhere between there and FF you should find your byte!

Hope that helps!

You’re last resort is to simply give the thing away to one of your friendly forum mates and buy a new one . . . <grin>

-Bob-

Hmmm, there is a loooong thread on this subject:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81997

Worth to try before ‘give’ the drive away…

:slight_smile:

I saw that thread, but I thought that was referring to a different program than what he used - the one he used was in another thread along with the bit setting program and was supposed to be safe for DVD burners wasn’t it?

The giving away comment was meant tongue in cheek - I know I’ve got more time than money so I’d definately take the time to try and figure it out!

The program he used is from this thread, isn’t it?

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83105

It’s says it “should” work with the liteon drives and shows a screen shot with a 411 selected.

i don’t blame him for trying it I guess, it looked like it should work as the 451 keeps being referred to as the same basic unit as the 411.

Region freeing is easily accomplished by software, so I think I’d rather take that route.

Anyway, best of luck to him - I think it probably just wrote one odd bye so if he can figure that address out and is patient while he tries bytes he should be able to recover it.

-Bob-

Originally posted by Svenson
It sounds like the rpc program changed something it shouldn’t have in your eeprom and now the checksum isn’t correct so it doesn’t want to run.
Quite right. The 451 firmware uses almost the same checksum mechanism as the 811 firmware does. Some RPC programs kill the value at $100, which is part of the checksum. At startup the LED starts flashing when the checksum is corrupted, the drive ignores all disks now.
After restoring the value at $100 the drive should be fine again.

Originally posted by ala42
Quite right. The 451 firmware uses almost the same checksum mechanism as the 811 firmware does. Some RPC programs kill the value at $100, which is part of the checksum. At startup the LED starts flashing when the checksum is corrupted, the drive ignores all disks now.
After restoring the value at $100 the drive should be fine again.

Is it part of the checksum in that it’s simply a byte that’s counted, or is it actually the value of the checksum it’s self?

Just wondering, if it’s just a byte then I should be able to give him the value from my unit.

If it’s actually the checksum it’s self he’ll have to start guessing because some of the info being checksumed varies between drives (it’s calibration data and stuff for the specific drive, isn’t it?) which makes the checksums for each drive different?

-Bob-

The EEPROMS for a 851 and a 451 look similar in the hex $100 region.

At hex $100 in the 851 it’s 28, and in the 451 it’s 26 for the two examples I have access to.

If you need help pm me and I’ll see what I can do for ya.

Hope that helps!

-Bob-

Is it part of the checksum in that it’s simply a byte that’s counted, or is it actually the value of the checksum it’s self?

It is one of the checksum values.

If it’s actually the checksum it’s self he’ll have to start guessing because some of the info being checksumed varies between drives (it’s calibration data and stuff for the specific drive, isn’t it?) which makes the checksums for each drive different?
He can either guess it, compute it or read his PM :slight_smile:

> He can either guess it, compute it or read his PM

<Big Grin> I’d opt for the latter!

THANKS for being so forth coming with the info and helping the poor guy out!

Take Care,

-Bob-

;)Thanks everybody for your coming here. I’d confused for few days. I try to do so many things to bring my drive back. Finally,I flashed it with 451@851 firmware. It’s alives again. I can use it with 8x speed and work perfectly with Nero 6.3.0… I try to upgrade to newest 851s firware(pactch with flashfix). It doesn’t work. So I flash back to 451@851s again. It’s works. So I do agree with our good friends. I thought RPC program may be did something wrong with my drive.
Thanks a lot.
:smiley: :wink: :wink:

Firmware GS0A is highly recommended since it is the only firmware version for your burner which supports bitsetting.

CONGRATS on recovering your drive!!!

I find it very interesting that the region freeing utility actually modified the firmware rather than the eeprom, but hey - don’t argue with results!

Of course this could’ve all been avoided by backing up the firmware to start with . . .

-Bob-

[B]CONGRATS on recovering your drive!!!

I find it very interesting that the region freeing utility actually modified the firmware rather than the eeprom, but hey - don’t argue with results![/B]
So let’s argue about your interpretation instead :slight_smile:
The fact that the drive works now with a different firmware does not mean that the previous firmware was corrupted. The region freeing utility modified the eeprom, the checksum was corrupted, the firmware checksum test said error. Later he used a patched firmware with a disabled checksum test, no one left to say error, the drive is alive again.

THAX ‘ala42’, well done.
Nice of you to help our friends out of probs.
:bow:

Originally posted by pinto2
THAX ‘ala42’, well done.
Nice of you to help our friends out of probs.

I did nothing else than explaining what the problem was and why the problem is gone now, but wammy28’s kind of ‘repair’ just removes the symptoms, not the cause, and is not the way I suggested. The checksum is still wrong, so the drive will not work with original 451 firmwares.

<grin> No arguements here -> your explanation cleared things right up!

Years ago (about 15) I used to do some mlx programming (mostly with applications using TI TMS7000 and Motorla 6800s) and now I’m kinda missing it!

Where do you find a disassembler/assembler, etc. for working with these drives? <grin>

-Bob-

@Sven

If you ever get informations about a good disassembler that would do 8052 (afaik, this is the kind of processor liteons use), just let me know.

I’m also eager to take a closer look at this checksum calculation stuff.

And while i’m here and since it is my first post, I’d like to congratulate everyone here for bringing such valuable informations to the community.

It’s a real pleasure to read these forums.

By the way, and from what I read many many many times here, I think that there should be a sticky thread named : BACK UP YOUR EEPROM BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE (even before simply USING your drive :bigsmile: )

Originally posted by mark5
[B]@Sven

If you ever get informations about a good disassembler that would do 8052 (afaik, this is the kind of processor liteons use), just let me know.

I’m also eager to take a closer look at this checksum calculation stuff.

And while i’m here and since it is my first post, I’d like to congratulate everyone here for bringing such valuable informations to the community.

It’s a real pleasure to read these forums.

By the way, and from what I read many many many times here, I think that there should be a sticky thread named : BACK UP YOUR EEPROM BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE (even before simply USING your drive :bigsmile: ) [/B]

8052.com

Have fun, and be careful. :wink:

(Note the FW is divided into 16 chunks of 64 KB each… you may or may not find that to be helpful)

Originally posted by code65536
[B]8052.com

Have fun, and be careful. :wink:

(Note the FW is divided into 16 chunks of 64 KB each… you may or may not find that to be helpful) [/B]

Thanks a lot for the (once again) fast answer.
About the chunks, that was just the next question I was going to ask :wink:

I did some assembler when I was young and beautiful :D.
But that was back in the time of the Apple IIgs…

Will see if I lost everything or not…

And as for being carefull : don’t worry, everything is under control… (by the way : where the hell did I put this EEPROM backup :p)