SCSI Burners VS IDE ones

As most of you already are aware, SCSI burners are becoming more and more infrequent. Most of the newer burners being produced are now all IDE.
Some of you might like this because it means it saves you the expense of having to buy a SCSI card but for the rest of you with a bit more computer knowledge you'll know this isn't a good thing.

As I'm sure a lot of you have to do fairly often, I just copied a 650Mb avi file from a CD to my computer.
If you do this with an IDE CDrom drive you will notice your whole computer lagging and slowing down hugely, if you however do this with a SCSI drive your system will not slow down at all. In fact, you almost forget that you are copying the file accross.

It is the same with burning, when you are using a SCSI drive there is no bandwidth being used on the IDE channels and so your hard drive (and therefore OS) can operate totally normally, with an IDE drive however they are using the IDE channels and so it will effect your system.

The only way to make companies like Plextor and others continue to make SCSI drives is to prove to them that they make good business sence. This basically means that they have to be able to sell them.

What I'm trying to say is this:

Buy SCSI drives!

If you dont believe me, ask any of your friends with computer knowledge if a SCSI drive is worth the little bit extra cash. Once they tell you it is then go out and buy a SCSI drive so that they dont disappear.

SCSI FOREVER!!

P.S. Guys with a lot of tech knowledge, feel free to post more techie info. My techie friend who was gonna write the tech info about SCSI for me didnt' get around to it.

Source: Nila

No posts to display