Need Help: Going from IDE to SATA

Hi I’ve been using two Benq drives, 1620 and 1650 to burn DVD’s for the past. I am going to build a new system and well I want to move on to SATA drives, but don’t have a clue on what is good at the present time. Any recommendations on which brand\drive to buy for SATA dvd writer to burn mostly Verbatim +/- media, but mainly +R. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

Also well two drives are better than one for ripping etc, so any recommendation for second drive would be good too.

dja2k

My first choise would be the [B]Optiarc 720xS[/B], and the second, [B]Pioneer 215[/B].

The Pioneer won’t booktype Dvd+R to Dvd-Rom without tweaking the firmware though, but still good recommendations. I would add SH-S203B to that list.

Found the Optiarc AD-7201S-0B, but not the Pioneer 215, though did find the Optiarc 720xS.

dja2k

[QUOTE=dja2k;2133781]Found the Optiarc AD-7201S-0B, but not the Pioneer 215, though did find the Optiarc [B][U]720xS[/U][/B].

dja2k[/QUOTE]

720xS is just a way of covering all models. So the x could 1 or 3 & so on.

I have the 7203S (has LabelFlash) for example. You have found the 7201S.

Pioneer is DVR-215D.

So in your opinion, would it be better to get two different drives than two identical? Since back in NEC days, I’ve grown more towards Liteon than NEC. Maybe will take a look at the SH-S203B.

dja2k

[QUOTE=dja2k;2133781]Found the Optiarc AD-7201S-0B, but not the [B][U]Pioneer 215[/U][/B], though did find the Optiarc 720xS.

dja2k[/QUOTE]

If in the USA you can go direct http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Shop/DVD-Burners/Serial+ATA+DVD+Burners

[QUOTE=dja2k;2133785]So in your opinion, would it be better to get two different drives than two identical? Since back in NEC days, I’ve grown more towards Liteon than NEC. Maybe will take a look at the SH-S203B.

dja2k[/QUOTE]

Pioneer along with the latest NEC Optiarc drives are better burners than Lite-On (IMHO).
Samsung is like Lite-On good reader. In fact my speed patched 223F is the fastest reader/ripper ever. Just not too hot as a burner.
My Pioneer 215 & NEC 7203S are probably the best burners. Certainly in terms of what’s available.

Okay yes I want one for fastest reading and one for burning, so then most of you agree, get a Samsung for speed and a Pio or NEC for writing?

On Samsung, only find 223q

dja2k

[QUOTE=dja2k;2133795]Okay yes I want one for fastest reading and one for burning, so then most of you agree, get a Samsung for speed and a Pio or NEC for writing?

On Samsung, only find 223q

dja2k[/QUOTE]

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

I’d get a Pioneer DVR-215 (or NEC 72xx) for burning, and a Liteon for reading, because Liteons are not just good readers, but scanners also.

That’s why the current setup in this machine of mine looks like this: Pioneer DVR-215 and Liteon iHAS 120 (both SATA). My IDE drives are in my other boxes, SATA only.

I can’t say about other Samsungs, but mine are just fine for reading & writing.

Okay I will get the NEC 72xx that I mentioned, but can you point me out to the Liteon that is good, maybe from Newegg. Thanks

dja2k

Oh, I forgot to mention that the SH-S203B scans as well, WOW!, reader, writer & scanner. I bet if I set it up correctly it would wash my vehicle as well. :iagree:

[quote=dja2k;2133804]Okay I will get the NEC 72xx that I mentioned, but can you point me out to the Liteon that is good, maybe from Newegg. Thanks

dja2k[/quote]

I can recommend the Liteon iHAS 120 I have myself. Very good reader, reliable DVD scanner, including jitter scanning (SL and DL media (both layers), widely available at a cheap price.

[QUOTE=packetloss;2133812]I can recommend the Liteon iHAS 120 I have myself. Very good reader, reliable DVD scanner, including jitter scanning (SL and DL media (both layers), widely available at a cheap price.[/QUOTE]
This one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106263 ???

dja2k

Yes, or the retail version which only costs 1$ more at newegg.

Btw., just remember that for jitter scanning to work with this drive, you need a patched version of Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.16 which was uploaded by C0deKing a few weeks ago: click. And you need to enable jitter scanning in the advanced scanning options of CD-DVD Speed. Read the linked thread for more details.

This will likely be integrated in the next version of Nero CD-DVD Speed anyway though.

Okay thanks all of you, I have narrowed it down to the NEC 7201S and Liteon iHAS 120 sata drives mentioned here.

dja2k