Need help getting DVDFab to cooperate, if possible

vbimport

Hello,

Due to the majority of the people here suggesting DVDFab as the tool of choice, I just bought a lifetime license to give me time to copy my DVD collection to my server. There were some things that didn’t work as I wished that I thought would be “corrected” or would work as I thought in the paid for version. I am trying to do things in as much of a “batch” mode as I can, basically feeding in discs and having them copied to my server. I assumed more of the steps could be set as defaults, but the product doesn’t seem to work that way.

1. When I put in a disk, it opens DVDFab and scans the disk and designates the disk as the source. Good so far

2. I found an area to designate DVD9 format so that it wouldn’t do compression and that default works.

3. Under “Common Settings - General” I designated the output directory, N: and that value is saved there, but can’t get the “Destination” field to default to my preferred “N:” setting vs. defaulting to one of my DVD drives? I don’t want to have to click the destination field down arrow and select drive N: each time. Where can I pick it as default?

4. Where can I set it to automatically pick the “remove PGC” stuff setting?

5. Last, but not least (for now), why can’t I stay in my current DVDFab session and insert another disk without DVDFab launching again? I already clicked the OK button on the “process completed” popup. I already clicked the corner “finished” button, so at that point DVDFab should be ready for a new disk. Why does it instead open a new version instead of using the open copy?

I was hoping the process would be this simple:

1. insert disk
  2. DVDFab opens with all my default settings mentioned above
  3. click “start”
  4. click “ok” when completed
  5. click “finish” (tray opens)
  6. remove previous disk
  7. load new disk
    repeat 3-7 over and over, disk by disk

I can’t imagine that such a sophisticated program is incapable of being operated in a simplified, default manner, so I have to assume it is my inability to find the proper settings.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=vividere;2547024]Hello,

Due to the majority of the people here suggesting DVDFab as the tool of choice, I just bought a lifetime license to give me time to copy my DVD collection to my server. There were some things that didn’t work as I wished that I thought would be “corrected” or would work as I thought in the paid for version. I am trying to do things in as much of a “batch” mode as I can, basically feeding in discs and having them copied to my server. I assumed more of the steps could be set as defaults, but the product doesn’t seem to work that way.

1. When I put in a disk, it opens DVDFab and scans the disk and designates the disk as the source. Good so far

2. I found an area to designate DVD9 format so that it wouldn’t do compression and that default works.

3. Under “Common Settings - General” I designated the output directory, N: and that value is saved there, but can’t get the “Destination” field to default to my preferred “N:” setting vs. defaulting to one of my DVD drives? I don’t want to have to click the destination field down arrow and select drive N: each time. Where can I pick it as default?

4. Where can I set it to automatically pick the “remove PGC” stuff setting?

5. Last, but not least (for now), why can’t I stay in my current DVDFab session and insert another disk without DVDFab launching again? I already clicked the OK button on the “process completed” popup. I already clicked the corner “finished” button, so at that point DVDFab should be ready for a new disk. Why does it instead open a new version instead of using the open copy?

I was hoping the process would be this simple:

1. insert disk
  2. DVDFab opens with all my default settings mentioned above
  3. click “start”
  4. click “ok” when completed
  5. click “finish” (tray opens)
  6. remove previous disk
  7. load new disk
    repeat 3-7 over and over, disk by disk

I can’t imagine that such a sophisticated program is incapable of being operated in a simplified, default manner, so I have to assume it is my inability to find the proper settings.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Hi vividere

Not clear on your output directory however there is a setting “Create files in subfolder of output directory” which will place the ripped files/folder within such folders as “Full Disc”, " Main Movie" or one of the other mode you select if you want the ripped files just in the movies title folder UN-check the box…

also is your N drive your media server ?
as far as having to do steps 3-7 over and over again there is a setting in common settings-> “General” for “Allow running multiple instances of DVDFab” which does require access to multiple drives, and depending on your system resources…eg CPU and/or the controlers of the drives you could bottleneck the system and receive some adverse effects, I believe you can use up to either 8 or 18 drives this old brain just not what it use to be on memory :frowning:

[B]SJ[/B]

Hiya… I can see from your reply I wasn’t clear enough in my explanation.

1. You have a choice of copy to a DVD or to a directory. In my case, as explained, I am copying to a directory on my server (defined as drive N:), but the answer wouldn’t be different if it was my C: drive or any other drive letter. It allows me to assign a directory, but not choose it as the default destination.

I have no issue with the file structure it is creating on the server drive, just that it won’t let me specify a drive by default.

1. As far as doing the steps over and over, I am trying to accomplish to opposite of what you seem to be thinking. I want to run in serial mode, only ONE copy of DVDFab running at a time. I am trying to determine why DVDFab launches a new copy every time I insert a disk instead of using the already running copy of the program.

Thanks…

[QUOTE=vividere;2547058]Hiya… I can see from your reply I wasn’t clear enough in my explanation.

1. You have a choice of copy to a DVD or to a directory. In my case, as explained, I am copying to a directory on my server (defined as drive N:), but the answer wouldn’t be different if it was my C: drive or any other drive letter. It allows me to assign a directory, but not choose it as the default destination.

I have no issue with the file structure it is creating on the server drive, just that it won’t let me specify a drive by default.

1. As far as doing the steps over and over, I am trying to accomplish to opposite of what you seem to be thinking. I want to run in serial mode, only ONE copy of DVDFab running at a time. I am trying to determine why DVDFab launches a new copy every time I insert a disk instead of using the already running copy of the program.

Thanks…[/QUOTE]

hmmm… when you set the default directory within common settings are you also selecting it on the main screen/page of DVDFab…eg…“Target” drop down ? and is the N drive even listed there ?..

as far as “DVDFab launches a new copy every time I insert a disk instead of using the already running copy of the program” hmmm…well the only thing DVDFab does when inserting a new DVD is the scanning of the disc you just inserted into the drive which is necessary to determine the structure of the copy protection and playback order.

On your concerns “using the already running copy of the program” it is not clear what you are really trying to do :confused: doing something in that manner would be like trying to combine two disc’s into one folder sorry that is how I take it anyway, which if you are say have a movie with two discs…eg…disc1 and disc2 there is always “Merge” mode.

Sorry for not understanding what your trying to do its just your doing it differently from the average user/member
[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2547067]hmmm… when you set the default directory within common settings are you also selecting it on the main screen/page of DVDFab…eg…“Target” drop down ? and is the N drive even listed there ?..
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I said that it was in the list, but I want it to appear as the preferred choice, I don’t want to have to scroll down to it. I want N: to be the first choice, i.e. the default choice. I don’t want to have to even touch the target setting. That was the point of adding the N: as the directory to save the file to.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2547067]
as far as “DVDFab launches a new copy every time I insert a disk instead of using the already running copy of the program” hmmm…well the only thing DVDFab does when inserting a new DVD is the scanning of the disc you just inserted into the drive which is necessary to determine the structure of the copy protection and playback order.[/QUOTE]

I wish that was all it did. Every time I put in a new disk, it pops open a new copy of the program. If I copy ten disks, there are ten copies of the program open. I don’t want it to open a second version of the program. Just use the one that is already open.

On your concerns “using the already running copy of the program” it is not clear what you are really trying to do :confused: doing something in that manner would be like trying to combine two disc’s into one folder sorry that is how I take it anyway, which if you are say have a movie with two discs…eg…disc1 and disc2 there is always “Merge” mode.
[/QUOTE]

Not at all…when it scans the new disk, it gets the volume name from the new disk and it creates a folder in the “full disc” folder with the new volume name. That part works fine, it creates a new folder for each volume, so each DVD has it’s own folder. I then move them from “full disc” to where I really want them to go, i.e. sorted by rating.

Sorry for not understanding what your trying to do its just your doing it differently from the average user/member
[/QUOTE]

That is why I specified the steps I would like it to work in.

How else do others copy their collections to a file server? It is very tedious having to close all the new copies of the program it insists on opening, it is maddening I can’t choose a default directory to write to without having to pick the directory every time.

Have you ran BIOS setup on a PC? You can choose boot drive, i.e. floppy, drive C:, CD, DVD, etc. You tell it what you want to boot from. This is no different. I want to choose where to write to and have that one on the top of the list, just like when choosing a boot device in BIOS.

Another way of saying is, I ought to be able to set a priority list for destination directory. If I always want to write to my 3rd DVD drive, I ought to have an option to choose that particular drive as default destination. Likewise, I ought to be able to use the defined drive directory as the default “first choice” in the list. Then if I want to change it, I can, but in my case, I always want it to write to the same drive, same “full disc” folder, with a folder in there for each DVD it copied.

But back to what I asked.

If you were using this product and wanted to copy thousands of DVDs to your server, what steps would you use?

The current choices with DVDFab aren’t very flexible in terms of choosing the default setup.

I can’t be the only person on this list that used the DVD copy programs to do what I am doing. I thought there were a lot of people out there copying their DVD collections to their media servers?

[QUOTE=vividere;2547073]I wish that was all it did. Every time I put in a new disk, it pops open a new copy of the program. If I copy ten disks, there are ten copies of the program open. I don’t want it to open a second version of the program. Just use the one that is already open.[/QUOTE]
I always do multiple backups to my hard drive every single day and when I place a new DVD into any of my drives DVDFab does never open a new DVDFab program or main page what ever you want to call it, it always uses the same window.

Have you ran BIOS setup on a PC? You can choose boot drive, i.e. floppy, drive C:, CD, DVD, etc. You tell it what you want to boot from. This is no different. I want to choose where to write to and have that one on the top of the list, just like when choosing a boot device in BIOS.

Well as it stands DVDFab does not have that feature/ability however I will pass your request to Fengtao(the author), who knows he may or may not add the support

But back to what I asked.

If you were using this product and wanted to copy thousands of DVDs to your server, what steps would you use?

The current choices with DVDFab aren’t very flexible in terms of choosing the default setup.

I can’t be the only person on this list that used the DVD copy programs to do what I am doing. I thought there were a lot of people out there copying their DVD collections to their media servers?

Sorry can’t answer that, course I do know some users/members converts to another format (to save space) and has the file transer option which automatically transfers the files to their media devices after the conversion process is completed.

OK…so it seems we have to figure out why DVDFab launches every time I put a disk in. Autoplay is set up to launch DVDFab when a DVD Movie is inserted in the drive. But it apparently doesn’t know or care that a version of the program isn’t already open.

Do you have DVDFab for your DVD Movie autoplay? If so, it should behave like mine? Or do you have autoplay for DVD movie turned off, so it doesn’t do anything when you insert a DVD, and then launch DVDFab manually?

Yes, it would be nice in the author could let you choose a default destination drive.

Are you saying having it copy to a drive letter is the normal way for the ripper program, but not the copy program? I didn’t know the ripper’s options included a full disk copy? It seems the various “containers” don’t give you full disk features, and/or without some compression or data loss.

When space isn’t an issue, I assumed a DVD copy would insure I had full disc functionality and quality, and was the only want to get that assurance? I would hate to hear after buying DVD and BR copy that they aren’t the right products for what I am trying to do.

Wonder if AnyDVD or other products allow you to set and use more defaults to help automate the process to reduce errors and make the process simpler.

Thanks

Sorry I will have to get back with you on your last post, I have projects here in the forum I’m working on, course there are other users/members who can answer you and may jump in here to help in the mean time…but if not I will get back with you tomorrow :flower:

[B]SJ[/B] :wink:

Thanks…was surprised that no one else has jumped in, like someone else doing what I am doing.

Hi vividere

Its me again please go into common settings-> “General” and place a check mark in the box next to “Memorize user interface options” to see if that helps you any, there is also a setting to “Add autoplay handler(optionally starts DVDFab when a disc is inserted)”.

also go into your system and set autoplay to “Take no action” for DVD movies.

[B]SJ[/B]

Hello, I already changed autoplay as you suggested. Figured that out right away. Still don’t know why DVDFab doesn’t recognize it doesn’t need to run more than one copy. This method forces me to manually vs. automatically start the program. Not a huge deal.

I found and used the “memorize” option. It saves the “remove PGC” setting, but doesn’t save the target drive setting. I think that is something else the programmer should be able to make a default for.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=vividere;2547960]Hello, I already[B] changed autoplay as you suggested[/B]. Figured that out right away. Still don’t know why DVDFab doesn’t recognize it doesn’t need to run more than one copy. This method forces me to manually vs. automatically start the program. Not a huge deal.

I found and used the “memorize” option. It saves the “remove PGC” setting, but doesn’t save the target drive setting. I think that is something else the programmer should be able to make a default for.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The above in bold is that the systems autoplay setting itself ? what about the setting in DVDFab’s common settings-> “General” -> “Add autoplay handler(optionally starts DVDFab when a disc is inserted)” do you have a check mark or [B]Not[/B] in the box ?.

It seems that setting changes it the first time, but if you go into autoplay and turn it off, then it doesn’t autoplay DVDFab even if that setting is set. So yes, it is set, but since it is turned off in Windows, it doesn’t run DVDFab when a disk is inserted. Turning off Windows autoplay seemed to be the only want to get DVDFab to launch each time.
;
I am reconsidering re-setting autoplay due to another problem with DVDFab. The point was to keep one session of DVDFab open and feed it discs. I already reported to DVDFab (with no response) that the product doesn’t properly sense a disk change. The only way for it to know there is a new disc is to close and re-open DVDFab. If I have to launch DVDFab for each disk change, then that forces to me close the previous copy and open a new copy anyway, so I might as well let autoplay do that for me.

The value of leaving DVDFab open is I don’t have to change the target/destination each time. But since it can’t recognize a disk change, I have to close the session and open another one, so I might as well do that with autoplay. The “memorize” function saved me one click each time. If DVDFab would recognize the disk change and automatically change the Volume Label, I could be saved a few steps, but it doesn’t. save the the Target value. It does save “N:” as the output directory, but not as the target directory.

Thanks again.

Within windows autoplay settings there are multiple disc types each with their own autoplay settings, have you tried setting them all to “Take no action” ?

I am confused? I told Windows Autoplay to ignore DVDs and it does. That was what I did to keep Windoze from opening a new session for every disk. In retrospect, I will probably have to reverse those settings because of DVDFab’s inability to recognize a new disk in the drive.

I was trying to say that the autoplay setting in DVDFab setup is overridden by my turning it off in Windoze.

Got a reply from Fantango… I can tell from their answer they didn’t understand the problem:

"Please uninstall and reinstall to the latest version of DVDFab 8.0.2.2 at http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm.

We suggest you that you can copy original DVD to hard drive firstly, then restart DVDFab to start the burn process and check if the target can be recognized correctly or not."

I never mentioned burning DVDs…why can’t they understand my final destination is the N: drive and that is the value I want to save in the target/destination field.

Perhaps you can help interpret my request for them.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=vividere;2548209]Perhaps you can help interpret my request for them.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I will put something together later in writing and send it to Fengtao by PM, thing with DVDFab and their support is that they are in China and their English is a bit broken, but I will see what I can do :wink:

BTW…Their suggestion to uninstall and reinstall is a normal response from them, because it does correct some issues in certain cases.

[B]SJ[/B]

Like dealing with tech support in India or Pakistan. Same language, but might as well not be.

How can they misinterpret or misunderstand something as simple as:

“I want my default target/destination to be N:”

Another way of wording it is to have the designated “General - Output Directory” have a check mark next to it saying:

“save this value as default target/destination”

What is the point of even having a “output directory” if you can’t choose it as default?

Thanks

[QUOTE=vividere;2548220]Like dealing with tech support in India or Pakistan. Same language, but might as well not be.

How can they misinterpret or misunderstand something as simple as:

“I want my default target/destination to be N:”

Another way of wording it is to have the designated “General - Output Directory” have a check mark next to it saying:

“save this value as default target/destination”

What is the point of even having a “output directory” if you can’t choose it as default?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

The output directory was or is designed for placing the created files/folders on your hard drive or even an external hard drive which I don’t believe your system recognizes your N drive-> (server device) as a external hard drive

The beauty of drive letter is it can be any device…a USB device, IDE, SCSI, SSD, SATA, or in fact on a server. I don’t see the use of that field other than for my purpose? It isn’t the temp directory which is what else you would or could specify.

Regardless of the value put in that field, I am still asking for the ability to define the target/destination for my output instead of having it default to one of my DVD players. Even then, why should it “guess” my destination. For instance, I have three DVD drives on this PC. There isn’t a way to tell it the default one, never the less choosing instead a driver letter or path as a default destination. If it is easier for them to work with paths instead of drive letters, it could be defined as “\pb heater”

I should be able to copy the DVD to any device I want, either by path or by drive letter. I would be happy to be able to set the default to either path or drive letter. It should be irrelevant to them if N: is local, on a server, or on a cloud somewhere.

Thanks!