Need help getting dual layer to work

vbimport

Drive/firmware: LDW-451S@851S, GS0K (early-shifting, shift-fixing)
Media type: PRODISCR02-00, inkjet printables from ACCA/Rima
Burn speed: 8x

I am a newbie to this, so here go’s. I have attempted to cross flash my Liteon LDW 851S DVDRW, aiming to enable it to produce dual layer back ups.I use CloneDVD to produce back ups, but states that burner does not support DVD 9 burning. I used the GSOP firmware for this drive, was this correct. I need pointing in the correct direction, should I be using the firmware stock of the 451S for the 851S.

Or do I have to go out and purchase a dual layer burner?

Many thanks in advance!

Welcome to cdfreaks :slight_smile:

Sorry for the late reply. You need to crossflash your drive to 832S firmware to enable dual layer and then you have to use special dual layer media, which is unfortunately quite expensive. You can get the firmware from my site under the 832S heading (see my signature for the link). Make sure you use the patched for crossflashing (-cf) versions or you use OmniPatcher to enable the crossflashing yourself. This page might also help:
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/oc.html

Many thanks CodeKing,

I have followed your instructions using Omnipatcher and I am now able to back up on dual layer discs. I have used CloneDvd during this process, and I must admit it does take some time. Am I using the correct software for back ups? and if not which one should I be using with this drive.

Also I am not sure about the EEPROM utility, do you suggest I use this as well

Many thanks again.

@ saint32
Hey, glad you were able to upgrade successfully. What firmware did you choose? If I may butt in for C0deKing :bow: yes you would benefit greatly from using the eeprom utility to ‘reset learnt media’. Also backing up your EEPROM would be a good idea as well :iagree: .

You can check your burning results with Kprobe 2.4.2 BLER scans(scanned at 4x scan speed the forum standard for comparison). You can read Interpreting PI/PO error scans to find out what these graphs mean. PI/PO is now referred to as PI/PIF. Roughly, PI max should be <280 and PIF max <4. PIFs are much more important that PIs

I hope you will post some of your results. :slight_smile: Attaching disc quality scans will help.