Need help flsahing my OEM plextor drive

Please help!, i’ve posted my problem on the firmware forum some days ago but no one seems to have the same problem as mine. so i guess i should try my luck at the plextor forum itself.

direct from this link
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=88874

i copy and paste frm the above link and it is here.

Need help flasing my IOMEGA 19200 to PLEXTOR 4012TA
Hello all,

pls help me out here.
i owns a iomega 19200 CDRW drive (firmware v1.01) and i want to update it to Plextor 4012TA (firmware v1.05).
its actually an plextor OEM. the label on the CDRW drive indicated that its made by plextor. with plextor’s logo right on top.

so i think i want to make it a TRUE plextor drive.

i know that by flashing i would void warranty…

i downloaded the plextor w4012a105.exe (v1.05) but of course had no success in patching it by d.click on it

i used winrar and check the cotents
its.

for plextor v1.05 (3 files)
Plexfirm.ini
PxFirm3.exe
Wnds105.bin

i also have iomega’s 1.01 update firmware
contents (2 files)

io4012.rom
iofirm32.exe

it just struck me that io4012.rom its related to the plextor drive. the numbers matches… which makes me more to update… haha.

i’ve tried searching the forum but only this old thread got something to do with it.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread...a+19200+plextor

i read on the forum that u need a program and enter commands manually to flash it, but i am overwhelmed by the information overflow.

in this case, how would i do it? i think i do not need to back up the firmware anymore since i got the iomega 1.01

does anynone faces the same situation?
or could someone guides me on how to do it?
thanks a lot
:confused:

I don’t know how you can achieve this and I don’t even know if it’s possible. However, I’ve read reports about turning a TDK 840G into a Plextor PX-708A drive by editing the .INI files from the firmware. You can read more on that here. Maybe you can use that info for your firmware too, I can’t say. Please note though that you do this at your own risk. If the drive is damaged I cannot be held responsible and your warranty may be void! So please think twice before doing this.

Thank your for your help G@M3FR3@K. The link you posted is very informative, but i dont know what to insert to the plextor ini file and futhermore the TDK and the plextor firmware both had the ini file inside but not in my case… oh well.

I mailed plextor support to see if they are willing to help me. Will post back if they respond.

thanks again man!

:smiley:

G@M3FR3@K and others on the board,

after 6 days without a reply from plextor,
I decided to try out what you had refered me to (the link).

I extracted out the ini file from the v1.05 plextor firmware upgrade and added the 3 command lines

[UpgradeInformation]
ApplicationTitle=IOMEGA CDRW19200INT-A
Inquiry=IOMEGA CDRW19200INT-A;
Version=1.05
FirmWareFileName=Wnds105.bin
FirmwareFileSize=524288
BufferSize=16384
[Option]
Use CDRW Caution=Yes
Use Twice Update=No

well, i had no success in letting the program finding my drive. alwasys returning the no drive found message. i had tried different combinations like spaces in the inquiry and checking the tiltle of the CDRW drive using nero incd tools,clonecd, but could not convince the program to find the drive. I even use the plextor upgrade exe file from ‘DVDRW840G_103.exe’. as it have a newer update engine. when i click on the PXFirm3_22tdk.exe, (i’ve only this file and the ini file and the bin file of the v1.05 in a folder) and it displays info on the 1.05 firmware, (the same if i use the update using the old exe plextor update file) so i guess its the ini problem here.

when i click on the v1.01 (my drive is already Iomega v1.01)
it will display found drive on F:
Transfering bytes 0-32768
Error sending firmware.

Expected but the updater can locate the drive. which leads to the question how. what name it uess to locate the drive? there is no ini file so i had not a clue.

what confusues me is the bytes parts. the iomega rom file io4012.rom is 512KB and the bytes is only 32768?

any ideas are welcome. pls help!

i thought of updating by renaming the bin file of v1.05 (512kb also) from plextor to io4012.rom, then patching by exercuting the patcher but i dont dare… :eek:

I’m sorry but I don’t really know how to help you. I have never edited a firmware to make it flash a drive. I hope someone else will have an idea but I doubt it. Good luck anyway.

Who did you contact at Plextor? Try corporate at sales@plextor.com or support@plextor.com

hey there, i mailed to the following email adds.

support@plextor.com, support@mta.co.jp, support@plextor.be

mailed on 3rd march.

no reply yet…:sad: