Need help finding firmware for HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B

I’m loking for new firmware for
HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B
I went to my computer’s manufacturer’s site, Acer and looked there where the driver downloads were but they odn’t have anything for this drive.
Can anybody help me find firmware for HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B
Babu

Hi,

this is an OEM drive, customised for Acer this time. If I remember correctly, then there were also OEM versions from Dell and HP of that unit.
If there is no firmware update from Acer, then you are lost. I seriously doubt, you can easily flash HP or Dell OEM firmware on your drive.

If you are ready to take some risk, you may try crossflashing your OEM GWA-4164 to retail GSA-4164 firmware using Mediacode Speed Edit.
See also: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/bookmarking-dell-oem-lg-gwa4164b-171404/#post1327360 and
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/lg-2166-can-crossflashed-187830/

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2302064]Hi,

this is an OEM drive, customised for Acer this time. If I remember correctly, then there were also OEM versions from Dell and HP of that unit.
If there is no firmware update from Acer, then you are lost. I seriously doubt, you can easily flash HP or Dell OEM firmware on your drive.

If you are ready to take some risk, you may try crossflashing your OEM GWA-4164 to retail GSA-4164 firmware using Mediacode Speed Edit.
See also: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/bookmarking-dell-oem-lg-gwa4164b-171404/#post1327360 and
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/lg-2166-can-crossflashed-187830/

Michael[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info. I may be wiling to take some chances soon but i have no idea of what cross flashing is.:frowning:

QUOTE=babu357;2302116i have no idea of what cross flashing is.:([/QUOTE]That is “forced” flashing a firmware from another drive model (which must have the same hardware of course).

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2302122]That is “forced” flashing a firmware from another drive model (which must have the same hardware of course).

Michael[/QUOTE]

So, what you’re saing is you use firmware from another model,
In my case the drive model would have to have the same hardware as the HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B
…if i"m understanding correctly.
And then, How would I know if a model has the same hardware as the HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B?
I appreciate your help and patience. I’m not real experienced with this stuff but I’d like to learn.
Babu

Hi,

the retail version of your GWA-4164 was the GSA-4164 (4166 is nearly identical also). To make totally sure, you need to remove the drive from your computer in order to have a look onto the sticker.

As for crossflashing your drive to LG retail firmware, you may have a look into the threads I mentioned above. I can’t give further details since I have no personal experience with that process and this particular drive.

Another question: Why do you think, you need another firmware?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2302717]Hi,

the retail version of your GWA-4164 was the GSA-4164 (4166 is nearly identical also). To make totally sure, you need to remove the drive from your computer in order to have a look onto the sticker.

As for crossflashing your drive to LG retail firmware, you may have a look into the threads I mentioned above. I can’t give further details since I have no personal experience with that process and this particular drive.

Another question: Why do you think, you need another firmware?

Michael[/QUOTE]
Well I’m having problems with the drive. It plays DVD’s fine, but I tried to reinstall my SIMs 2 game after an uninstall and it won’t work, and the Dvd is fine, no scratches or anything. I ALso had trouble with some other discs. I would have to put them in and eject them several times before the program would load.
So people told me to update the firmware.
To tell you the truth i"m sick of this already. I would just a buy anew one if i know what to buy. I mean I don’t even know if updating the firmware would help. If it were easier I would do it but I might be going through all of this for nothing.
I really need someone to point me to a few models of drive I can replace it with. Other wise I’m stuck. I have no idea of what to buy and how to tell if it’s compatible with my system and also I"m confused about DVD drives verses CD drives.
I mean Mine says CD Rom after the model number…but I can play Dvd 's And load programs from DVD’s so I don’t get that,. So, I don’t know if i 'm looking for a CD drive a DVD drive , or what.Someone said I can replace it with an IDE …I don’t know what that is.LOL
AS you can tell I’m frustrated. It’s been weeks and I just want to play my games.LOL
I suppose I’ll do more searching to see if I can find some posts about people who replaced this drive maybe get some advice on what I can replace it with.
I think I’ll give up on the cross flashing and just concentrate and finding out what I need to replace this drive with. thanks for all of your help.:slight_smile:
Babu

[QUOTE=babu357;2302847]Well I’m having problems with the drive. It plays DVD’s fine, but I tried to reinstall my SIMs 2 game after an uninstall and it won’t work, and the Dvd is fine, no scratches or anything. I ALso had trouble with some other discs. I would have to put them in and eject them several times before the program would load.
So people told me to update the firmware.[/quote]
Okay. This is normally not a firmware related issue.
I’d try to clean the drive instead.
Either use a can of compressed air, or dismantle the drive and clean mechanical parts and lens carefully. Application of some grease to the rails is a good idea either if you’re at it.

If you consider buying a new drive, you may ask in our “User Review and Comments” section.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2302930]Okay. This is normally not a firmware related issue.
I’d try to clean the drive instead.
Either use a can of compressed air, or dismantle the drive and clean mechanical parts and lens carefully. Application of some grease to the rails is a good idea either if you’re at it.

If you consider buying a new drive, you may ask in our “User Review and Comments” section.

Michael[/QUOTE]
Thanks a lot. you’ve been so helpful. I’ll try cleaning it , and if not at least I know where to go to get more info on buying. thanks again.
Babu