Need help finding a burner with bitsetting capability

vbimport

I have an Emprex 1016IM. I have been unable to use bitsetting to change my burns to dvd-rom. Everything I use tells me bitsetting is not supported.

I need to make backup copies of a nav disc and I need to be able to burn it as a dual layer dvd-rom in order for the vehicle to recognize it. I’ve finally decided to give up and just replace the drive.

I’d be very appreciative of any suggestions. What’s the best way to tell if a drive I’m looking at supports bitsetting without actually buying it and trying it?

I doubt you will succeed even with a bitsetting capable burner.

Use search and search for navi disc", you’ll see why.

I personally also see no sense in making backup or even “backups” of such a disc.
It is for ONE car, to be used in this car, and if it gets damaged the seller of the car or the manufacturer should give you another copy, for free. That’s the least I would expect from someone getting thouands of bucks for a car…

PS: There is no Dual layer dvd-rom, a DVD+R DL will always remain a DVD+R DL, same for DVD-R DL and so on.

@jjjayb
Don’t know whether your oldie supports bitesetting for DL DVD at all.
Have you already tried the official Bit setting utility ?
http://www.btc.com.tw/english/3-1-4driver_download_dvd_dual.htm

[QUOTE=jjjayb;2594141]What’s the best way to tell if a drive I’m looking at supports bitsetting without actually buying it and trying it?[/QUOTE]Just search our forums and/or the reviews section.
And if you can’t find an answer …just ask :wink:

P.S.: Many users rate the Optiarc 72xx models as very good DL DVD burners.

EDIT:

[QUOTE=chef;2594157]…and if it gets damaged the seller of the car or the manufacturer should give you another copy, for free. That’s the least I would expect from someone getting thouands of bucks for a car.[/QUOTE]Expectations and reality are often different things :wink:

btw. in fact there are some NAV discs that can be successfully copied.

[QUOTE=chef;2594157]I doubt you will succeed even with a bitsetting capable burner.

Use search and search for navi disc", you’ll see why.

I personally also see no sense in making backup or even “backups” of such a disc.
It is for ONE car, to be used in this car, and if it gets damaged the seller of the car or the manufacturer should give you another copy, for free. That’s the least I would expect from someone getting thouands of bucks for a car…

PS: There is no Dual layer dvd-rom, a DVD+R DL will always remain a DVD+R DL, same for DVD-R DL and so on.[/QUOTE]

I am the seller. :wink: I like to have backups for my customers. I have been able to make copies in the past on a previous system. I can’t for the life of me remember what program I used.

Uh, well, that is interesting.

Mh, maybe you could try with CloneCD (yeah, it works with dvd also) and Blindwrite maybe.

Problem solved.

I succesfully burned a copy of a Ford Navteq 2008 Nav Dvd again. I used Alcohol to burn the image at the slowest read speed then burned the image on to a disc. I did also put the dvd back in my drive and used the bitsetting tool from BCI to set it to dvd-rom. Not sure if that had any affect though but it did make a succesful copy. :bigsmile:

Thanks for the suggestions!