Need help extracting section on dvd to pc format

vbimport

I have a Sony DVD camcorder and I need to copy part of the DVD to my pc so that I can upload it to YouTube etc.

In other words I have a very specific section on the mini DVD disc that I need to extract and put it on my pc’s hard drive.

In the past, when I had an older Canon camcorder, I would just connect the cable from the camcorder to my pc and then use Windows Movie maker to copy a section off the tape to my pc. Now I can’t do that as there is another dvd disk in my camcorder that is not completely filled up and if I take it out, I would have to finalize it which I would rather not. Otherwise I could just pop back the other dvd disk I want to copy from back into the camcorder and then use Windows Movie make to extract a specific section from the disk to my pc.

Now I have dvd out of the camcorder and it’s in my pc and I just need to copy a certain section of it to my hard disk as wmv or another pc format.

Is it actually in dvd-video format? (vob, ifo and bup files in a Video_TS folder)

If so, you can use a program called DVDShrink to cut out a specific section of the dvd-video. Open the disk with DVDShrink, go to ReAuthor, then use the Start/End Frame tool to select the exact section that you want to save. Hit Backup to save the section.

The output will be a small dvd video which you can convert to any format you like. You can use Vob2Mpg to change the .vob file that is output from Shrink into a mpeg2 file if that will work for you to upload. There will be no loss of quality doing it that way.

DVDShrink is free to use. You can find it at www.mrbass.org
Vob2Mpeg is also free. Found here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

If the video you have now is another format, let me know. There are different tools available for other formats.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2150062]Is it actually in dvd-video format? (vob, ifo and bup files in a Video_TS folder)

If so, you can use a program called DVDShrink to cut out a specific section of the dvd-video. Open the disk with DVDShrink, go to ReAuthor, then use the Start/End Frame tool to select the exact section that you want to save. Hit Backup to save the section.

The output will be a small dvd video which you can convert to any format you like. You can use Vob2Mpg to change the .vob file that is output from Shrink into a mpeg2 file if that will work for you to upload. There will be no loss of quality doing it that way.

DVDShrink is free to use. You can find it at www.mrbass.org
Vob2Mpeg is also free. Found here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

If the video you have now is another format, let me know. There are different tools available for other formats.[/QUOTE]
Yes the video is in the vob, ifo and bup formats.

Thanks very much for you very detailed instructions! :bow:

I will try it out later tonight and let you know how it goes. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2150062]If so, you can use a program called DVDShrink to cut out a specific section of the dvd-video. Open the disk with DVDShrink, go to ReAuthor, then use the Start/End Frame tool to select the exact section that you want to save. Hit Backup to save the section.
[/QUOTE]Hi Kerry56, I am struggling with this part.

I can see the start of the section I want to copy, however it is not obvious how to select a section now to do the backup.

What do I need to do next?

Ok, open the dvd, go to reauthor, you will see a window on the right side that shows the contents of the dvd. There is a section with Main Movie and under that you should have the titles or title if there is only one. Click on the title and drag it to the left side window.

This will allow you to use the Start/End frame tool. It is an icon on the left side that looks sorta like this: |-><-| and is on the same line as DVD Compilation.

Click on the Start/End Frame tool and you get a window with two small screens and some sliders. You move the slider on top to where you want your clip to start. Move the bottom slider to the point you want the clip to end. The little screens on the left will show you exactly where you are positioning the sliders in the movie itself. When you are set, hit OK.

This returns you to the ReAuthor Window. Hit Backup. Set the place you want to save the video and hit ok. Shrink will now cut out the section you want and produce a small dvd video.