Need help diagnosing cause of failed burns

AnyDVD 5.5.5.1
CloneDVD2 2.8.5.1
NEC DVD RW ND 2510A – firmware 2.18 (most recent update)
Legacy DVD-R 8X 4.7GB

I’ve been having numerous failed burns recently, and they’ve been becoming more frequent. While attempting to fix things this evening, I’ve had 1 succesful burn out of 4. “Creating DVD files” goes smoothly. The writing goes smoothly for a while then stalls permanently, usually somewhere between 50% and 90% completed.

I’ve been using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 with the NEC burner for about 2 years, and I’ve been using the Legacy DVDs for about 3 months. I’ve had some problems with these Legacy DVDs since I purchased them – maybe 1 failed burn in 20 – but in the last week nearly every burn fails. I don’t recall any software additions that coincide with the beginning of the failed burns.

This evening I ran Spybot, AdAware, and JV16 Power Tools registry cleaner; I uninstalled AnyDVD and CloneDVD; I ran Disk Cleanup and I defragged my hard drive; then I re-installed AnyDVD and CloneDVD. My first burn after these steps was a success: I put in a source disc, CloneDVD created the DVD files and burned appropriately. Then I tried a second burn, which failed: I put in a second source disc, CloneDVD created the DVD files just fine, then stalled at 54% in the writing process. I didn’t open any programs or do anything else between the succesful burn and the failed burn.

So, I need to figure out if this is a software issue or a hardware issue, and I need to figure out what piece of software or hardware is causing the problems. Any help in diagnosing the cause of my problems would be much appreciated.

bwisialo,
I think you answered your own question and wasted countless time troubleshooting.
“I’ve been using the Legacy DVDs for about 3 months. I’ve had some problems with these Legacy DVDs since I purchased them”.

You don’t indicate who the manufacturer is of this media since Legacy uses many as does the crappy Memorex. You seem to be knowledgeable about DVD burning since you’ve updated your firmware, checked for spyware, etc.
Using poor quality media causes many problems and is well documented on the forums.
I think you should try using some quality media and hopefully that will settle your issues.

Read about your Legacy Media here:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?dvdmediasearch=legacy&dvdmediadvdridsearch=&type=6&size=All&dvdburnspeed=All&order=Name&hits=25&country=&search=Search+or+List+Media

@ bwisialo,

I agree with Forum Member itzbinnice that your problem is most likely caused by the use of low quality inferior DVD Media (Legacy DVD).

Legacy like most other DVD Media Retailers don’t manufacture their own DVD Media but purchased DVD Media for a DVD Manufacturer and re-package the media an then put their name on the package. Sometimes they use reputable DVD Media manufactures and sometimes they don’t.

Suggest acquiring known high quality DVD Media and recheck and see if your problem goes away. Suggest locally obtaining FujiFilm media and closely inspecting the package and ensure the package states ‘Made In Japan’. Avoid purchasing FujiFilm DVD Media made in any country other than ‘Made In Japan’ because the quality is unknown.

In many circles Taiyo Yuden media is consider good reliable quality media. Rima.Com (http://www.rima.com) is a reliable source of Taiyo Yuden media.

Best Regards,
bjkg

The Legacy DVD-R 8X 4.7GB disks are manufactured by several companies. Some good some bad. I would try using Ty’s. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Or the Sony -R 1x-8x which are more available in local retail stores i.e. no internet ordering. Same as TY from what I have read. Burn at 4x

SONY and TY are not the same. If you look at the media test forum you will see most of the the SONY DVD-R are pretty poor.

Yes, I think it’s the media. After posting last night, I dug out an old re-writable disc and did several succesful burns.

The sudden spike in failed burns is still curious to me, but I guess that’s what you get with unreliable media.

Thanks for the info about Legacy discs and the suggested alternatives.

Assuming that I won’t be able to return these poor quality Legacy discs, is there any way to increase my chances of doing a successful burn onto them?

Possibly different burn speeds but I would just chalk it up to experience and get some good media. I went through quite a few blanks before I came here and started reading about and testing various media. If you do get decent burns from those i would be concerned about their longetivity.

Don’t waste any more time with them, toss them in the garbage and just consider a lesson in life, a bargain is not always a bargain.

@ bwisialo,

You might be able to fiddle around and somehow produce acceptable burns on your Legacy DVD-R media but I would be leery about the long-term reliability of data retrieval on this suspect DVD Media. I would be concerned about the phenomena referred to as ‘DVD Rot’ with these particular Legacy DVD-R media.

Best Regards,
bjkg