Need help, DH-20A4P bad EEPROM flash, dead drive

I posted this in the EEPROM sticky as well:

Purchased 3 LiteOn DH-20A4P drives from NewEgg:

1. S/N 202830403840 Model: DH-20A4P04C Mfg Date: 07/2008
  2. S/N 304831409783 Model: DH-20A4P04C Mfg Date: 07/2008
  3. S/N 304831409793 Model: DH-20A4P04C Mfg Date: 07/2008

Drive #2 is dead, flashed with the EEPROM from #1. Green light is flashing, did not make a backup, please don’t ask.

Tried flashing #2 with the EEPROM from #3. Tried repair checksum in both cases–“Sorry, the EEPROM checksum cannot be repaired by this utility. Contact the CodeGuys!”

Already ordered a new spare drive, so this is purely academic but…

…any chance of recovering the dead drive #2?

Attached EEPROM files 1 and 3.

Thanks

Read the rules about double posting.

Very unlikely since #2 drive has been butchered with #1 and #3. The EEPROM data is specific to each drive’s characteristics. While a another same drive’s data may be used, but it’s unlikely to ever burn properly.

[QUOTE=KTL;2209769]Read the rules about double posting…[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I posted it in the sticky and I didn’t get a response. I guess I could have been more patient.

[QUOTE=KTL;2209769]Very unlikely since #2 drive has been butchered with #1 and #3. The EEPROM data is specific to each drive’s characteristics. While a another same drive’s data may be used, but it’s unlikely to ever burn properly.[/QUOTE]

OK, that’s what I thought. I already ordered another one, but I thought there might be a chance.

Thank you for your help, also for this superb website. :clap:

Here is the original EEPROM from mine:
The firmware flash is too large to post.
Maybe a mod can join the two topics.
Disclaimer:This is my original but I make no claims for it .Use at your own risk.

Admin note: Flashing other drive’s eeprom files will stop your drive from working. See post #7 below.

ATAPI_DVD_A_DH20A4P_9P59.zip (8.15 KB)

Hi Cholla, restored your EEPROM to the dead drive, no luck: green light still blinking, but thanks very much.

Will disassemble the parts I can for spares, and the rest is history…

Thanks again, gentlemen, much appreciated.
CD

I took it apart and made a pic.

:sad:
CD

Pity you didn’t give me a chance to fix your eeprom. The problem is that when you flash another drives eeprom all 4 checksums are damaged because part of the eeprom is protected and cannot be overwritten. The protected part stores most of the factory settings for the drive, so quite often the drive can be restored.

The EEPROM Utility can only do a repair if 2 of the checksums are still valid, so that’s why it couldn’t repair your drive’s eeprom.

If you decide to put your drive back together, post your eeprom from the drive and I will repair it for you. :wink:

Hi C0deKing, good morning.

I pulled the board out of the garbage and connected it to the computer, EEPROM file attached.

The last file flashed (this morning) was from drive #3, which I believe was built within minutes of this drive (serial ending 793 v. 783).

If you can fix the file, I’m willing to search through lime rinds for the rest of the pieces and try a recovery, if nothing else, in the name of science.

Thank you very much C0deKing!

ATAPI_DVD_A_DH20A4P_9P59.zip (1.75 KB)

Based on C0deKing’s post could a mod remove the attached file of my EEPROM from post #4 .So it doesn’t cause any damage.

Well done. This was a good move. :iagree:

If you can fix the file, I’m willing to search through lime rinds for the rest of the pieces and try a recovery, if nothing else, in the name of science…

I’m not sure whether any alignment is required after assembly. Let us know how you get on. Repaired file attached:

ATAPI_DVD_A_DH20A4P_9P59-fix.zip (1.75 KB)

Thanks C0deKing!

Blinking green is gone, drive responds, but doesn’t read well or burn at all, attached.

Guess the fatal move was taking the rails off the frame, they were calibrated. I dropped the laser on the floor, too, who knows.

Will open it up again and take a look…

Thank you! :flower:

Popped the top, took the picture below, reattached the leads and now it works (better).

9P59 stock firmware
Verbatim MCC 02RG20

having luck, burned 2 more using C0deKing’s firmware, FB EOS EOHT all on.

Doesn’t look great, but is at least working.

[QUOTE=chipsndukes;2210704]having luck, burned 2 more using C0deKing’s firmware, FB EOS EOHT all on.

Doesn’t look great, but is at least working.[/QUOTE]
Good one. Certainly can’t complain about the jitter.

The lead to the sled unit can be a tricky one to insert correctly. Probably was that the first time.

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2210730]The lead to the sled unit can be a tricky one to insert correctly. Probably was that the first time.[/QUOTE]

Probably right, thanks again for your help C0deKing!

A little funny, but working. Will be spare when the replacement arrives tomorrow.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=chipsndukes;2210734]Probably right, thanks again for your help C0deKing!

A little funny, but working. Will be spare when the replacement arrives tomorrow.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Yeah, it was fun. Glad I could help. Thanks for the pictures and scans.

Last burn, new drive arrived today.
Couldn’t have done it without you C0deKing!

FB EOS EOHT all on

[QUOTE=chipsndukes;2211385]Last burn, new drive arrived today…FB EOS EOHT all on[/QUOTE]

Not bad. I assume you cleaned the lens before reassembling, correct?

Honestly, for MCC 03RG20, that’s a relatively normal burn.

Hi Negritude,

[QUOTE=negritude;2212979]Not bad. I assume you cleaned the lens before reassembling, correct?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the laser was spotless before reassembly.

[QUOTE=negritude;2212979]Honestly, for MCC 03RG20, that’s a relatively normal burn.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
This drive is retired, the drives that hadn’t been disassembled post much better burns.

thanks a lot he worked for me