Need Help converting gateway 4000 ts-l532a dvd+rw drive to work on an asus Z7000

I have a question. I bought an asus z7000 model laptop from ajump.com. I love it, but it’s old and starting to fall to pieces. The TSST Corp ts-l532a dvd+rw DL drive inexplicably - meaning i dropped it and blame it on abstract forces of the universe - stopped working. I immediately got on ebay and, thinking that all ts-l532a’s are built the same, purchased one which was labeled to work for the gateway 4000 model laptop. The easy part was breaking out a screwdriver and changing the plastic tray assembly pieces which make the gateway 4000 intended drive look like it was built for the asus, and it fit snug. When I powered on my laptop, however, Windows XP goes straight to a message that said something like “unable to boot from boot drive. please insert a bootable disc or select another boot drive.” Thinking the only problem is booting up, I remove the drive, boot up, and connect the drive once I am logged in and ready. The computer says it crashed to prevent damage to my computer! I’m thinking back to my high school computer hardware class, and everything I can remember about disc drives. I know that Master/Slave settings could be an issue, and that jumpers are used to determine the correct settings. But for the life of me I can’t find jumpers anywhere on the drive. The only other thing I can think of that might be helpful is there is some sort of converter between the drive and my computer which I had to transfer from my broken drive to the new gateway drive, but I just assumed this was part of the assembly pieces. Can anyone please give me any advice on where I might go to look up something like this? or, alternatively, does anyone know anything that I might be screwing up? I appreciate any replies in advance.

Asus is not Gateway.

If you want to use that slimtype drive withthe Asus Laptop, you need to find an ASUS OEM firmware for that drive and need to flash it to that drive.
There are no jumpers on slimtype drives, its managed through the firmware on the drive!