Need help cleaning out my Temp Files

Today I tried to clean out my temporary files so I could hopefully get this slow as molasses computer going a bit faster.

When I had 88 temporary files up, I selected all and the delete…it took out 42 right off the top but stopped with a warning…

See the attachment for a screenshot of what I was advised. I need help on this.

How would I know what programs are using JETA10?

There’s always a few temp files in use by Windoz that cannot be deleted. Suggest you download CCleaner, it’ll probably find a whole lot more stuff, and it’s free.

I suggest you highlight the file in use, select Edit/Invert selection, then delete the rest.

If you’re looking to get your [B]slow as molasses computer going a bit faster[/B], you could try to reduce the number of startup programs and defrag your drive.

But at other times, I can delete everything leaving this “temp” window empty. So, this JETA10 file must be “temporarily” supporting something…or supporting something I downloaded recently.

Most times I can wipe the “temp” window completely clean by doing a start->run->%temp%->enter; which brings up all of the temp files; I select all, and hit delete and the page starts cleaning out all of them…and removes all of them.

So, my question now is this. Does a the need for a file like this (JETA10) come and go? And do you think I’ll be able to delete this particular file at some other point in time?

Thanks to all for contributing to my learning about computers.

“You can always rely on the members of club.cdfreaks.com”. I’m serious guys, you always help me when other can’t/don’t.

P.S. The reason the error window screenshot was not attached was due to the fact that I could not figure out how to resize it…it was too large to attach. Any recommendations on a good free resizing tool that will allow me to do this? My old computer had the capability to right click on the picture, select ‘resize’ from the list, pick the size I wanted, and bam you’re done…but this computer does not have that great capability…anyone know why? Could it come with Adobe Photo Shop or something like that? (Photo Shop Essentials was loaded on the old computer).

I defrag my computer on a regular basis Dialysis1, and I do the “disk cleanup” every day…how do I reduce the number of startup programs?

If you are using good old XP, go to Microsoft´s website and download their image resizer…this is the one that gives you the right-click and select whatever size you want faster and better than anything else.

Link http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Thanks for the ‘edit/invert selection’ tip petremure…never used that one.

[quote=deanimator;1989169]If you are using good old XP, go to Microsoft´s website and download their image resizer…this is the one that gives you the right-click and select whatever size you want faster and better than anything else.

Link http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx[/quote]

Thanks deanimator, that’s exactly what I want…that’s great. As I said, you guys know how to “get er done”.

Here´s a link that will guide you through sorting out your start-up stuff
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2006/08/22/how-to-remove-startup-programs.html
HINT: read all the way thru before you do anything!

BTW…we were all newbies once…and I´m still learning heaps, but you are right, this is the best place to come for help.

[quote=deanimator;1989177]Here´s a link that will guide you through sorting out your start-up stuff
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2006/08/22/how-to-remove-startup-programs.html

BTW…we were all newbies once…and I´m still learning heaps, but you are right, this is the best place to come for help.[/quote]

Great deanimator, thanks, and I will read it all…before proceeding. I’m way to cautious so I know what you mean.

BTW, I’m getting ready to buy an operating system for my first build; and AMD 64 X2.

Question: and keep in mind, I’m trying to keep my costs down…is Windows XP Pro worth $50 more than XP Home?..I’m thinking Home because I don’t and won’t be doing any heavy computer work…not a gamer and never will be (nothing against it but I’m 70 years old in March), just a learner…and hope to do limited one time VHS to DVD editing/burning…so, should I order Home OEM($90) or Pro OEM ($140)?

[quote=deanimator;1989177]Here´s a link that will guide you through sorting out your start-up stuff

BTW…we were all newbies once…and I´m still learning heaps, but you are right, this is the best place to come for help.[/quote]

Great deanimator, thanks, and I will read it all before proceeding. I’m way to cautious so I know what you mean.

BTW, I’m getting ready to buy an operating system for my first build; an AMD 64 X2.

Question: and keep in mind, I need to keep the cost down…is Windows XP Pro worth $50 more than XP Home?..I’m thinking Home because I don’t and won’t be doing any heavy computer work…not a gamer and never will be (nothing against it but I’m 70 years old in March), just an young-at-heart old learner…and hope to do limited one time VHS to DVD editing/burning…so, should I order Home OEM($90) or Pro OEM ($140)?

[QUOTE=burnselk;1989201]…
Question: and keep in mind, I need to keep the cost down…is Windows XP Pro worth $50 more than XP Home?..I’m thinking Home because I don’t and won’t be doing any heavy computer work…not a gamer and never will be (nothing against it but I’m 70 years old in March), just an young-at-heart old learner…and hope to do limited one time VHS to DVD editing/burning…so, should I order Home OEM($90) or Pro OEM ($140)?[/QUOTE] XP Pro provides additional security tools for a computer connected to a business network. It’s primary security value is controlling what USER has access to what files. For your computing purposes, XP Home will work perfectly. Just a suggestion, but if costs are a high consideration, numerous Linux OS’s are free.

Thanks Dennis L, that’s what I was hoping to hear…XP Home.

As for the Linux OS, I just now looked at some of the screenshots of that OS and it would seem to me that it would be a whole new learning experience for me. Am I wrong? It just seems so much different from Windows (the value being it’s something I’m used to using and navigating around in).

Does Linux offer most of the same capabilities that Windows does and does most, or all, of the software sold on the market today, or that can be downloaded free on the internet, work with Linux?

It just seems soooooo much different and therefore it’s probably for the young computer expert who knows a whole lot more about computers than I will ever know.

I sincerely appreciate your suggesting Linux because I’ve heard a lot about it for the past probably 10 years. There was one guy at the office who raved about RedHat…he was a die in the wool Linux user…and hated Microsoft…but he knew his computers…much more than I will ever know I’m afraid.

I realize you were simply making a ‘suggestion’ as an alternative to Windows and that’s what makes you guys and this forum so great. Linux is for sure sometime to think about…and maybe only for some very bright people.

If Linux supported most software and would be easy to use, I’d be the first person in line to take it on…guess I’m not that confident in my ability to use it…wish I could. I like the thought of putting competition in the OS game…I don’t like monopolies it allows them to charge too much…and it forces the software companies to build programs to work on that OS…maybe one day this will change…as a matter of fact I’m sure it will…it will have to.

There’s one free way to boost performance considerably, and that’s to do a fresh install and start from scratch. Don’t underestimate the benefits of doing this. Windows is designed to collect trash and slow down over time.

That would be fine if I had the Windows XP disk. This HP Pavilion didn’t come with any disk at all when I bought it. I did finally talk them out of the Recovery Disks.

In order to see/edit what programs start with windows, try the Autoruns app. It’s free and better than using run/msconfig command, which asks for reboot after modifying startup progs.
As for the mysterious JETA file, try the Process Explorer app, also free, it may shed some light.

Speaking of the seven (7) Recovery Disks, do they contain the complete operating system (XP Home in my case)? How could I determine this (without placing a call to HP who seem to know nothing about anything except the most minor issues)?

In other words, if my current HDD (which came with my computer) failed for whatever reason, could I install a secondary HDD (which I did) and use the Recovery Disks to install everything, including XP Home back onto this new HDD?

If not, what are the Recovery Disks for? What would prompt me to use them? I hope I never have to but what if?

BTW, I installed a 250GB secondary HDD then bought Acronis True Image 9.0 a couple of year ago hoping to make a complete image of my original 40 GB HDD onto my newly installed 250GB HDD. But everytime I tried it would freeze up my computer…I was never able to get it done even with Acronis email tech support. It’s on the shelf to this day. I assumed my old 2001 HP Pavilion 7955 was just too old to handle Acronis True Image 9.0. I’m now thinking maybe my old original 40GB HDD (which contains my OS) was too full to take on Acronis…maybe. Anyone have any thoughts about why True Image would freeze up my computer…every time I tried to use it? If I increased my “free space” (right now my original (primary 40GB HDD) has 4.4GB free and 28.4GB used out of 32.8GB total available). Do you think Acronis would work for me if I increased the free space on my little 40GB HDD? Just wondering…sure would like to make a complete image of my OS HDD without spending more $$ on software.

I’ve already backed up (to two external HDD’s) my important documents and numerous photo’s so I can increase that “free” space on my primary HDD and possibly speed up the operation of my computer…you think? I did this primarily to ready myself to download the dreaded SP2 (I need SP1 to get my newly installed PCI 2.0 USB card to work at the higher speed…1.1 USB transfers are SO slow…but I can’t have SP1 unless I download SP2…at least I can’t find a way to download SP1 only)…and everyone keeps telling me to download SP2 but HP has advised HP owners to “beware”…doing so may/will cause certain functions, hardware, and software to stop working…I learned a long time ago “don’t fix it if it ain’t broke”…so I don’t know if I’ll go through with the full SP2 install or not…sure would like to find a SP1 download site so I could at least get my high speed 2.0 USB card to work so I can make my backups to my external HDD’s (I use two) so much faster. I takes hours to backup only My Documents and my photos via my existing 1.1 USB (while my newly installed 2.0 USB card sits used and waiting to be fired up).
Please forgive me for this long post, I didn’t mean to write a book… but I need lots of input on these concerns. This may also have something to do with my “slow as molasses” computer.

Go with CCleaner route!

[quote=petremure;1990476]In order to see/edit what programs start with windows, try the Autoruns app. It’s free and better than using run/msconfig command, which asks for reboot after modifying startup progs.
As for the mysterious JETA file, try the Process Explorer app, also free, it may shed some light.[/quote]

petremure, do you have any app’s that you can recommend for these two processes? If so, I’ll give them a try. Thanks