Need help choosing (SATA) Drive?

Hi,

I’m having a new computer built for me soon and looking for 2 DVD writers to buy…

I wanted them to be pretty silent, last a good few years, and if they have lightscribe it would be great. Want to buy from www.ebuyer.co.uk (that’s important as where I’m getting the rest of my stuff from). Oh and have to be black…

Current I was looking at buying 2 x Liteon LH-20A1H-487C which would have been fine, but now I’m being told it’s best to get a SATA drive… I’m not building it, so if the only advantage is better cabling then it’s not really going to make a difference, but if they are more quieter and better drives in general then itw ould be worth it.

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Hi,

I’m having a new computer built for me soon and looking for 2 DVD writers to buy…

I wanted them to be pretty silent, last a good few years, and if they have lightscribe it would be great. Want to buy from www.ebuyer.co.uk (that’s important as where I’m getting the rest of my stuff from). Oh and have to be black…

Current I was looking at buying 2 x Liteon LH-20A1H-487C which would have been fine, but now I’m being told it’s best to get a SATA drive… I’m not building it, so if the only advantage is better cabling then it’s not really going to make a difference, but if they are more quieter and better drives in general then itw ould be worth it.

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The Samsung SH-S203B (SATA, black ;)) is being hailed by a lot of members as the drive to buy right now (haven’t had a chance to try one myself yet though).

The LiteOn drives (I have the 20A1H, it’s a good drive) on ebuyer are retail, so they’ll come with one each of black and silver faceplates (the beige one is already fitted).

Thankyou…

So do you think performance is same between Samsung SH-2303B and LiteOn 20A1H…

If so, it really depends on what I should get SATA or IDE, and I have no idea really… What do you think?

Also on the eBuyer I’m looking at, they have the 20A1H in OEM (perhaps because I’m in the UK) here: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/126226

From what people are saying the Samsung shines.

However, the Litey is a fast ripper, and has LightScribe.

Whether to go SATA or PATA, up to you. I run my SATA drives in IDE compatibility mode, so I’d say performance is about the same that I’ve noticed (aside from ripping speed, mentioned above, between those two drives). Cabling is way better though, allowing for better airflow through your PC.

If I were to buy another burner now, I think I’d go SATA. But that’s just me because I already have plenty of PATA drives to last me.

And if the OEM 20A1H is black, then go for it if you want that drive - you just won’t get stuff like software, IDE cable, mounting screws etc. And you’ll only have the one faceplate that’s fitted on it. :slight_smile:

(I’m from the UK as well BTW! :D)

Okay… so performance-wise between the Samsung and LiteOn, which would you say is better? (sorry if you already explained, I didn’t understand).

So with the better airflow by going SATA, does that actually make much of a difference?

You have the LiteOn - is it very noisy?

Finally… I’m not building the PC, someone else is, so I assume they’ll sort out all screws etc…

By going OEM, does that mean I have no protection if it fails in a few months?

TBH, I can’t really compare because I only have the LiteOn, but the most recent Samsung drive I have is a slower reader/ripper on DVD media (12x I think) whereas the LiteOn will read the same discs at the full 16x.

Better airflow just means air can flow around your PC case without too much obstruction (by IDE cables etc, SATA cables are very thin), can stop things getting too toasty.

The LiteOn is noisy at higher speeds (above 8x reading and writing).

I’m not really sure about the guarantee with OEM stuff, so someone else might want to chime in there. I’ve bought OEM drives myself in the past, but TBH I don’t really pay much attention to warranty on those.

I still can’t decide whether I should go for SATA or not! Not sure if performance is just as good…

It’s definitely just as good, but IMO it’s not better, others may have differing opinions, though. :wink:

Saying that, with SATA burners, whether the SATA chip on the mobo works well with SATA optical drives is another question mark, so PATA is probably the safer option. :slight_smile:

Better the devil you know etc etc…

Only thing i can add is to go to a local store try a SATA drive out and ask about their return policy.

That’s the method I’d choose too :iagree:

So what would you recommend for a quiet drive SATA or IDE… Is the SH-S203B quiet?

Also I was wondering if the Samsung SH-S183 is better than 203B? As 183 had more and better reviews on ebuyer.

Again, can’t comment on the 203B as I don’t have one, but I have a TS-H653A, which I believe is an SH-S183A.

Bit noisy when reading, but burns pretty well. :slight_smile:

Rolling above has more experience with those (he has an SH-S183L, see his sig) and can probably give you more experienced advice there :slight_smile:

Here i am :stuck_out_tongue: The 20X burners are a little noisier than 16X drives as they spin faster PATA or SATA with my experience.

Some mobo’s don’t like SATA drives. There has been some people have had problems with SATA drives. I don’t recall which mobo’s don’t sorry. Mostly mobo drivers i believe.

I’ve had Intel mobo’s for my last 2 builds and have not have any problems other than i have to run SATA as IDE with my newer Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi.

I still suggest you go to a local store and ask them about the return policy and try one if they will let you bring it back if it doesn’t work out for you.

Oh right… My mobo is going to be Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi…

I’ll probably just stick with the LiteOns… They should be fine. I’m not too happy about the noise, but not sure of any similar priced with similar specs that are a lot quieter?

If you want a hi speed drive you will find any rattles your case might have :bigsmile: I haven’t had any problem with my Thermaltake Armour. My older Ultra case has one rattle with hi speed drives but it’s the door on it.

Okay I’m going for a Antec 900, that has a door too…

Well I should be okay with the LiteOn, I would go for the Samsung SATA but worried about compatibility with the motherboard…

As long as the performanec is still good with SATA I would go for it, as long as no compatibility issues, as I’m not a HUGE burner anyway…

I see no problem with performance running my SATA optical drive as IDE. :slight_smile:

(I have no choice with my second PC, it’s all SATA, so SATA burners I must buy ;))

I don’t notice any performance/quality increase with SATA over PATA.

I prefer SATA. This is my first one but I think it’s better than PATA /though I might just had enough of my previous mobo’s “IDE drive” installation just so I could use my drive /it was an Asus P5LD2/. Didn’t have to install a SATA drive though/.

Also I’ve heard LiteOn is one of the best burners out there / I’ve bought Asus since here I can not get a LiteOn with Lightscribe AND SATA/.