Need help choosing new DVD burner

vbimport

Hi,
I really need your help, I had been using the dvd burner that came with my toshiba laptop but it has been making coasters a lot recently so I need a new burner. My choices are a bit limited here, I have to choose between the following three:

Lite-On LH-20A1P Super AllWrite

Sony DRU-840A

ASUS DRW-1814BLT (with Light Scribe)

I won’t be archiving any mission critical data, just a lot of movies that I downloaded to play back on my standalone philips 5100 DVD player and other stuff, games etc. One very important thing is that the writer has to be compatible/satisfactory with cheap media. I will use it mostly for DVD+R/RW burning. According to most of the reviews I’ve read on this site and some others, I’m swaying towards the Sony DRU-840A, but I would really, really appreciate a reply from members who’ve had experience with any of the above burners.

Thank you

I have a desktop, myself, but I’ve had nothing but good luck with Lite-on doing my movies. It handles quality disks plus generics. Other brands of burners that I’ve had there was usually a problem with overheating when you would do multiple disks in a row.
Don’t get me wrong, Sony is also a very good blrand. In fact I was just given one by a friend and so far it’s been working like a charm.
I hope this has helped you some, if not then shoot a reply back with your questions.

[QUOTE=st_fly;2032540]Hi,
I really need your help, I had been using the dvd burner that came with my toshiba laptop but it has been making coasters a lot recently so I need a new burner. My choices are a bit limited here, I have to choose between the following three:

Lite-On LH-20A1P Super AllWrite

Sony DRU-840A

ASUS DRW-1814BLT (with Light Scribe)

I won’t be archiving any mission critical data, just a lot of movies that I downloaded to play back on my standalone philips 5100 DVD player and other stuff, games etc. One very important thing is that the writer has to be compatible/satisfactory with cheap media. I will use it mostly for DVD+R/RW burning. According to most of the reviews I’ve read on this site and some others, I’m swaying towards the Sony DRU-840A, but I would really, really appreciate a reply from members who’ve had experience with any of the above burners.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

Your asking a question that is varied by the mutiple users on this forum and experiences varies from person to person and hardware and software as well. I don’t have the specific model of lite on you have but I have the LH-20A1H LL0D desktop internal model and it has performed vary good at backing up my movies and burning as well. My future plan is on getting a laptop in the forseeable future and buying the LH-20A1P burner or newer model that they offer for laptop.

Hey,
I apologize for not answering promptly, I have crossed out asus, the thing with Lite-On LH-20A1P is that people seem to have encountered more problems with this particular model than sony’s. This is frustrating, I have to buy one of 'em real soon, I know DVD burner are cheap now but money’s kinda tight, I guess if I recieve no concrete suggetions, then I’ll buy Sony DRU-840A, I read on the forum its a rebadged samsung S202J. Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply and help out.

Which ever one you get do yourself a favor. DON’T use “cheap media”.
Usually once or twice a month best buy has a killer sale on dvd media. About two weeks ago I picked up a 100 pack of SONY DVD-R for only $22.95. DVD+R was the same price. Pretty sweet when the regular price is $62.95. The week before that they had Memorex 100 pack dvds for only $23 but Memorex is crap. Anyway just check those Sunday ads.

Easy

I have the Samsung SH-202J and it works great for everything. The Sony DRU-840A is indeed the same burner.