Need help changing booktype on DH16A6S (Lite-on?)

vbimport

It came w/my HP computer and DVD Decrypter says it’s a ‘ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S’ which I think is a Lite-on that’s been Nerfed for HP OEM use. My primary DL burner went down tonight and so I need to use the original drive that’s still in it for the time being. What I need though is to know how to modify the firmware or use software to change the booktype to DVD-ROM. I attempted to use the tool within DVD Decrypter for lack of anything better and it of course it just says ‘Unknown (FAILED!)’ in the text just below the selection. What can I do here? Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Have you tried the Book Type Utility at http://club.myce.com/f44/comprehensive-liteon-tools-collection-v5-0-7-revised-8-january-2007-a-83441/#media-booktype?

[QUOTE=bevills1;2482165]Have you tried the Book Type Utility at http://club.myce.com/f44/comprehensive-liteon-tools-collection-v5-0-7-revised-8-january-2007-a-83441/#media-booktype?[/QUOTE]

Yes and when I insert a blank DVD+R DL disc it shows it as being such but the space where I change the booktype is grayed out and below that is text that says ‘F/W not support !’ which I translate to mean that the firmware of this particular drive isn’t supported by this particular utility.

Blank media will always show DVD+R book type, and DVD-ROM book type shows only after burning. Also all DL burners should burn DL DVD+R as DVD-ROM by default. The “FW not support” message may be expected for DL media since the Book Type Utility’s use is for SL media.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2482535]Blank media will always show DVD+R book type, and DVD-ROM book type shows only after burning. Also all DL burners should burn DL DVD+R as DVD-ROM by default. The “FW not support” message may be expected for DL media since the Book Type Utility’s use is for SL media.[/QUOTE]

I realize if it’s blank it will only show the booktype that it is. When I tried running the utility it would not allow me to get to the change booktype option w/o media in the drive is why I said that. The utility knew the difference between SL and DL and even displayed it so I don’t think this is it.

What do you mean by ‘all DL burners should burn DL DVD+R as DVD-ROM by default’ ?? Is this something new? Can anyone confirm this? I’m going to a lot of unnecessary effort if this is the case and has been adopted by the entire industry as the standard since I last researched this.

Nothing new. You’ve gone to unnecessary effort if you’re only concern about book type set to DVD-ROM is for DVD+R DL media. Simply burn a DVD+R DL dsik, check the book type after burn and confirm it for yourself.

Most drives will burn DL media with a DVD-ROM booktype.

If you want to set the booktype to DVD-ROM on SL media, make the drive region free and use various other patches then you can crossflash your drive to a real iHAS120. Check this thread: http://club.myce.com/f44/dh-16a6s-crossflashing-304838/

If you do, make sure you backup both your EEPROM and the firmware first and keep those safe just in case you might want to go back to the DH16A6S at some point in the future.

If you’ve got a firmware which has not yet been posted here yet (which might well be the case since as far as I can remember only DELL and ACER versions of the DH16A6S firmware have been posted here), then please let us have a copy of your firmware backup as well (you can upload it to a free host such as Mediafire and post the link here). Someone might need it at some point!

It may not be necessary to cross flash for the utilities to work because they work on 2 Sony drives of mine that are LiteOn rebadges without need to cross flash.

Update: Received my replacement Sony/NEC/Optiarc drive, installed it and test burned a DL DVD+R and much to my satisfaction it automatically burned as DVD-ROM booktype so I’m all set! Thanks for the help.