Need help burning 12X or faster

OK I own a Plextor 712A and a NEC3500AG and I tried a couple of types of media but can’t seem to get any media to go past 12X. here are the types of media I have tried.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:YUDEN000-T02-000] FROM RIMA.COM

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [YUDEN000]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Media Type ID : [T02]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]

and:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R01-002]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Company Ltd.]
Media Type ID : [R01]
Product Revision : [002]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]

Here is the issue with Both drives, at 8X they are flawless, as close to perfect are your going to get.

At 12X they burn fine without errors then when I test them via plextools PI\PO test for the first 3 gigs they are the same quallity as the 8X burns but then the errors go through the roof, both drives are on there own Intel controller I have a P4P800 Deluxe, they are both in UDMA mode-2. I understand the RICOHJPN not doing well but for the first 3 gigs they are great burns, but the Taiyo Yuden seems to burn at 16X on the NEC drives and 12X on the Plextor for everyone else in these forms. Its only the last gig and a half that seem to suck at 12X or higher. Any idea’s? I tried Nero 6.3 and now 6.6 with the same results.

I have been having the same kind of issues with YUDEN000T02, from FUJI 8x DVD+R. I am not seeing really great burns at anything higher than 8x from NEC3500A.
I don’t know what kind of conclusion I can draw. The batch of YUDEN000T02, burn at 8x in either a BENQ1620 or NEC3500(beta8) are really not that great. I use a LiteOn1633s and CDSpeed scan… scores are always less than 50…
I am incline to think that it is the batch of disc that I got… although it is possible that 1633s is not that accurate in reporting those errors (Read graph is always perfect, but PI/PF always have high PF at certain points, not just towards the end).
I have lost faith in TY… it is not as great as I thought it would be…

Try the 2c8se firmware for the 3500a. I don’t know if liggy’s beta 8 has the latest and greatest strategy for the taiyo yudens. That was one of the things the 2c8 included is a better strategy for the yudens. The richos are not going to burn faster than 8x no matter what you do. I tried a 12x burn and it’s practically a coaster. I’ve been burning the yudens which were the fuji 8x also at 16x without a problem. :iagree:

The Mad Dog 2.F8 firmware also seems to allow most YUDEN000T02 discs to reach the full 16X speed.

RICOH JPN R02 with beta 8 at 12X, can’t go wrong with them.

Is there any place to get RICOHJPNR02 for cheap?

Platinum 8X DVD+R are RICOH JPN R02 and those discs aren’t that expensive.

Depends on what you call cheap.

I paid £11.99 for a 25 disc tub.

A better deal, for me, was £7.99 for 25 SONY08D1.

SONY08D1 are indeed even possible to burn them at 16X, but here in Belgium it’s hard to find those discs.

:iagree:

Also the quality of RICOHJPNR02 has been varying for some time now. If you look in Liggy´s “beta” thread there are not that many post lately with this media at 12x or higher. (Especially not with Platinum branded R02´s.)

This trend, R02 getting more and more inconsistent regarding quality, has resulted in a “downgrade” of this media in latest OEM firmware 2C8. (From 16x with Mad Dog FW, to 8x…)
SONY08D1 and R02´s have nowdays same nominal (stock) max burnspeed of 8x. Sooo, in this case I vote for SONY08D1. :wink:

Yo-

My Taiyo Yuden T02’s from Rima do 16x just fine on both of my 3500’s-

The TYG02’s do 12x just fine too-

No worries here-

Mike

:smiley: Lucky guy…
I ordered my T02 spindle in germany (last saturday). 10 day delivery. Blaee. :sad:

Mine don’t, at 12X PI’s jump into the 250’s and PIF’s jump to 25 as the speed increases. At 16X it’s a real diaster. That’s two different packs from Rima.

Using the Fuji TY’s from Newegg are considerable worse. So I’m testing a 1620 this week to compare.

Hey bigmike, how 'bout some scans?

Regards-

I’m happy with my platinum DVD+R 8X, they do burn good at 12X with beta 8 and TY02 strategy. I found out there are 2 revisions, one of them burns a lot worse at 12X, but still readable. I don’t know if Liggy has both those revisions at the Yuden T02 strategy.

Thanks for the help guys I think it’s a media problem.

I was a bit worried about the delivery time you were quoted from Germany - I ordered on last Wednesday afternoon.

But my TY discs (+ and -) arrived today whilst I was out. :slight_smile: