Need Help (again) with 1655 and burn quality

Hello all,

Sorry to be a bother again but I am not really having much joy with my 1655 despite spending hours reading through the forum and throwing away much burned media. I am begining to suspect that my drive may be faulty.

I followed the advice of many people on the forum and burned a number of Verbatim x8 -R MCC02RG20 discs with different settings. Heres the list:-

1. SB, OS and WPOC on and off.
  2. Reflashed the unit to the latest BIOS.
  3. Defragmented the HDD before the burn.
  4. Reset all PC BIOS to the defaults so that the processor and RAM are not overclocked.
  5. Tried different media, specifically Verbatim x16 +R MCC004.
  6. Reformatted HDD and installed XP SP2.
  7. Tried MS IDE drivers and Nvidia NF4 IDE drivers.
  8. Put the unit as a Master on the IDE2 interface, checked the jumper setting.
  9. Checked the UDMA settings in BIOS.
  10. Did a burst rate test, result 24Mbps.

…and despite all this I still get very bad scans. Here’s an example of the ones I’ve tried today:-

Is this looking like the unit itself is at fault? The common element in all these scans is that the burns happily chug along with reasonal errors rates until the end when all hell lets rip and the errors rack up.

Can’t think whats let to try apart from RMA’ing it?

Thanks

PS: If I play back one of these DVD’s in the unit and fast foward or backwards using the timer slider, the application hangs.

PPS: Some more info - might be useful

AMD Athlon 4400+ X2 - AMD drivers and MS patch applied
DFI LAN Party NF4 SLI-D
2 GB Corsair XMS 3200C2PRO
XP Pro SP2

I had a similar problem with my drive. Tried 3 different IDE cables, different “quality media” and my scans were much worse than yours.

I RMA’d my drive back to ZZF and ordered one from shop4tech that should be here today.

I would tend to agree if you’ve tried all those thing and you still end up with scans like that then I would think that the laser is misaligned somehow and your best bet is to RMA the drive and get a replacement.

Faulty drive.

Something is stopping the laser from reaching the end of the disc. RMA time I think.

Thanks for your replies. I’ve been in touch with www.komplett.co.uk who supplied the drive and they are refusing to offer an RMA. Here’s what they say:-

“Message from Customer Care:
What is wrong with the burned media? Will it complete the burn successfully?
Is it just unable to play back? Please advise.”

Are there any seasoned RMA’ers out there who could advise on how I should proceed?

Thanks,

"I have attempted to burn samples of all my current media. The drive produces CRC errors at the end of each disc I burn when read back on the DW1655 or my DVD reader. The drive that I am replacing had no problems with these media’s and produced good burns until its death.

Media includes Verbatim MCC 004 16x DVD+R which fails on this drive

The DW1655 also produces stutters and blockiness when playing back DVD’s from some pressed discs that I have no problems with in any other drive."

That should work as a nice reply

If all else fails, request a 7 day return under the distant selling act. As long as its returned as new then they cannot refuse to take it back and refund you. Check this out however as I have never had to use it.

Thanks very much it worked, I’ve got my RMA number!!

Here’s a copy of the email I sent, might be helpful for others who experience problems:-

[I]I have attempted to burn samples of all my current media. The drive produces CRC errors at the end of each disc I burn when read back on the DW1655 or my DVD reader. The drive that I am replacing had no problems with these media’s and produced good burns until it’s demise.

Media includes Verbatim MCC 004, 16x DVD+R which fails on this drive producing unreadable disks.

The DW1655 also produces stutters and blockiness when playing back DVD’s from some pressed discs that I have no problems with in any other drive.

I am an experienced computer builder and have tried all the usual steps to eridacate this problem including:-

1. Solidburn, overspeed and WPOC on and off.
  2. Reflashed the unit to the latest BIOS.
  3. Defragmented the HDD before the burn.
  4. Reset all PC BIOS to the defaults so that the processor and RAM are not overclocked.
  5. Tried different media, specifically Verbatim x16 +R MCC004.
  6. Reformatted HDD and installed XP SP2 with a minimal configuration.
  7. Tried MS IDE drivers and Nvidia NF4 IDE drivers.
  8. Put the unit as a Master on the IDE2 interface, checked the jumper setting.
  9. Checked the UDMA settings in BIOS.
  10. Did a burst rate test, result 24Mbps.
  11. Changed the IDE cable.

As you can appreciate the steps taken above are not in themselves a trivial task. It has taken a long time to test this unit throughly but the drive consistently produces unreadable disks.

As you will be aware under the Sale of Goods Act 1979:-

i) Wherever goods are bought they must “conform to contract”. This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

ii) Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

iii) It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

I look forward to receiving your RMA details in due course.[/I]

I know it sucks there is nothing worse than having to process an RMA for something. I once had to RMA my Veiwsonic 22" CRT Monitor 2 times, which took 5 months in total and really pissed me off.

Hopefully you can get your drive back quickly and it works as advertised.