Sorry to be a bother again but I am not really having much joy with my 1655 despite spending hours reading through the forum and throwing away much burned media. I am begining to suspect that my drive may be faulty.
I followed the advice of many people on the forum and burned a number of Verbatim x8 -R MCC02RG20 discs with different settings. Heres the list:-
- SB, OS and WPOC on and off.
- Reflashed the unit to the latest BIOS.
- Defragmented the HDD before the burn.
- Reset all PC BIOS to the defaults so that the processor and RAM are not overclocked.
- Tried different media, specifically Verbatim x16 +R MCC004.
- Reformatted HDD and installed XP SP2.
- Tried MS IDE drivers and Nvidia NF4 IDE drivers.
- Put the unit as a Master on the IDE2 interface, checked the jumper setting.
- Checked the UDMA settings in BIOS.
- Did a burst rate test, result 24Mbps.
…and despite all this I still get very bad scans. Here’s an example of the ones I’ve tried today:-
Is this looking like the unit itself is at fault? The common element in all these scans is that the burns happily chug along with reasonal errors rates until the end when all hell lets rip and the errors rack up.
Can’t think whats let to try apart from RMA’ing it?
PS: If I play back one of these DVD’s in the unit and fast foward or backwards using the timer slider, the application hangs.
PPS: Some more info - might be useful
AMD Athlon 4400+ X2 - AMD drivers and MS patch applied
DFI LAN Party NF4 SLI-D
2 GB Corsair XMS 3200C2PRO
XP Pro SP2