Need help/advice on purchase

Hello. Please refer to this link (New Egg website) for the details about the burner I am considering.

My intentions are to burn DVDs for viewing on stand-alone players. The format being burned will be mostly the usual VIDEO_TS files I get from ConvertX to DVD. I may occasionally (if possible with this burner) burn the odd .avi file from time to time, but this is not a “must”.

In researching, I read something about booktypes/bit setting.

My questions are:

1. Does this burner support booktype/bitsetting? Do I even need the capability?

2. What type of media would I need in order to burn the DVDs in order for them to play in a stand-alone? I read that the “+R” or “+RW” are needed. Is this true? Will “-R” or “-RW” work in the stand-alones?

I’m a total noob when it comes to video, but I don’t expect a very detailed explanation of anything. Just a short/quick answer will suffice so that I may make my purchase and also get the correct media with my burner.

EDIT: Oops. Sorry - where are my manners. Thank you for your attention:)

Wow that is a low price I think I might get one as well but I have to do some more looking into that drive. I don’t know if the drive has booktype setting but from my 20A4H drive it has the function you just have to use the lite utility to turn the drive so that any DVD+R media you use will be set to DVD-ROM format. That depends alot on the standalone unit you will play it on? For my media needs I use DVD+R and with the liteon utility have the booktype setting set to automatically change any DVD+R media to DVD-ROM during the burns. From your reading are you going from DVD to DVD or converting to DVD format? I would stay away from RW in either format they are best for testing purchase cause you can erase them to use again and are better suited for data storage not DVD movie burning.

1. I am going to say yes cause the older liteon didn’t save this feature but I assuming liteon has since made sure this feature will save and work. This is from my experience with my 20A4H unit that is now booktype for DVD-ROM at the time of burns from DVD+R media.

2. I usually go for reliable media aka Verbatim if you can find them and if you going to booktype go for DVD+R as they will booktype to DVD-ROM format for standalone compatibility.

3. RW media in either format is best left for burning test purpose and data storage only.

Thanks for your reply.

There are a lot of burners available for around that price. Some with Litescribe, some without. I was surprised to find out just how many there were. Since I don’t plan on burning DVDs as a hobby, I figured I’d try to get away with a less expensive drive.

I forgot to mention the Lite On utility. I read that it only works with certain drives, but couldn’t find a list of those drives, so that would also be a question I have for someone - does the utility work with this drive?

That depends alot on the standalone unit you will play it on?

Was that meant to be a question? If so, I have no idea. I was hoping that a video burned from VIDEO_TS files would work on most any player. I am under the impression that video burned from other formats may not work on all players, but was hoping to convert those files using ConvertX to DVD and be good to go. If not, no biggie.

I’ll buy the +R media. That is what I was wondering.

If someone knows for sure if this drive will do booktyping or if the utility works with this drive, that would be all I need to know before I order.

Thanks again.

What I meant by the playing on standalone unit it some players will only play certain dvd formats and not all. As some can play mp3, vcd, svcd and so on but those are the more higher model unit. That is all I was saying for the standalone units. But if you converting to DVD format you should be ok. As for booktyping, I think there is some links in the cdfreaks that should give you a link to the software you need to see if the drive is able to booktype.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/comprehensive-liteon-tools-collection-v5-0-7-revised-8-january-2007-a-83441/
Take a look at this link that is where I got some of my tools and info at. If your wanting to know more just look at the link for the liteon burner forum in cdfreaks for more info as well.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/

Thanks for the clarification and for the link.

Before I joined I didn’t see a search button or I would have done that first. Now I see it. It must only be for members. I’ll do a little searching now before I order.

Thanks again for the help.

I didn’t get the edit in on time so I have to double post.

I just wanted to say that thanks to your links I am going to grab the 1HAP422 (not the iHAP222 as originally planned) because the review specifically says it does booktyping. The price difference is negligible, so no sense in taking chances.

Here’s a link, if you’re interested:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106269

Looks good will do a great job for you

[QUOTE=uniquename;2210390]I didn’t get the edit in on time so I have to double post.

I just wanted to say that thanks to your links I am going to grab the 1HAP422 (not the iHAP222 as originally planned) because the review specifically says it does booktyping. The price difference is negligible, so no sense in taking chances.

Here’s a link, if you’re interested:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106269[/QUOTE]

But if your not sure just email or contact customer service in your region and ask them they should be able to fully tell you the product specs and features. I also - when I did a search on newegg and lite did find the iHAP422 Pata unit and was about to mention it but thought it was best up to you to decide what you wanted to do first. But I know with mine being a older lite a 20A4H it does have the ability to save the booktype ability function. But with that new unit should fit your needs. Just be sure to get those utility to make the switch on the unit and once your done check the box and save the booktype and you be ready to go.

It’s always a good idea to simply read the reviews here at CDFreaks.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/

All relevant info is provided (including bitsetting) plus lots of tests to tell you which media works best for the burner.

I’d like to thank everyone who replied. You’ve all been really helpful. Unfortunately, when I went to order the drive, they dropped the free shipping (and another item I was ordering went out of stock :(). So I had to see what was available and read the reviews here on those items and decided that the best choice for me would be this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136147

It also does booktyping, has the same specs (more or less) as the other drive, has free shipping, and is a few dollars cheaper :). The review here highly recommended it, which is slightly better than the Lite On I had planned to get, so I ordered it.

Between the help I have recieved and the reviews on this site, I can see now why cdfreaks is highly regarded by many people.

I should be getting the drive in a few days. If anyone has any questions about it, please PM me or reply here and I will be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Thanks again for the help everyone.