Need Graphics card

vbimport

A friend gave me a home built computer that he built using an Intel D915GAG motherboard. Dated yes.

The problem is that he loaded W7 and the hardware acceleration won’t work because there are no hardware acceleration drivers for W7 for this board.

I have tried XP and Vista accelerators but have found nothing that works.
I think I said that right.

So would someone recommend a graphics card for the board where I can get hardware acceleration to work. I don’t need an expensive on. I want to use the computer in my office and I won’t be gaming, or doing anything demanding on the computer. The reason I, think, I need a card is that without acceleration the computer is slow. It work fine except being slow to load some sites, etc. Thanks.

The pdf diagram of that board shows that it has a 16x PCI-e slot, which surprised me since it dates to 2004.

This means it will be relatively simple for you to find a basic video card with drivers compatible for Windows 7.

Probably run about $30-35. Here is an example of an AMD based card. Here is one from Nvidia. There are a lot of others that are similar, some with fans, some without.

By the way, have you looked at Device Manager yet, to check whether there are any components showing problems, like missing drivers?

I thought “Sherry” the modded drivers, but I was wrong, the GMA900 in that chipset is missing a key feature for the modern WDDM architecture.

Pretty much anything you would see new now would have suitable drivers, but I’m not keen on AMD HD5xxx or below - actually anything below HD7700 is now on “legacy” drivers, while it appears that all Fermi & Kepler core Nvidias (as well as the latest Maxwell) get bang up to date

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2778542]The pdf diagram of that board shows that it has a 16x PCI-e slot, which surprised me since it dates to 2004.

This means it will be relatively simple for you to find a basic video card with drivers compatible for Windows 7.

Probably run about $30-35. Here is an example of an AMD based card. Here is one from Nvidia. There are a lot of others that are similar, some with fans, some without.

By the way, have you looked at Device Manager yet, to check whether there are any components showing problems, like missing drivers?[/QUOTE]

I did, no problems. The graphics driver is the standard VGA adapter and nothing I do helps.

Thanks for the reply.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2778542]The pdf diagram of that board shows that it has a 16x PCI-e slot, which surprised me since it dates to 2004.

By the way, have you looked at Device Manager yet, to check whether there are any components showing problems, like missing drivers?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kerry56, card ordered and on the way.

Considering the age of this MB the PCI-e x 16 slot may be a 1 x 16 .
The graphics cards Kerry posted are 2 x 16 . That should be OK if they are backward compatible . I couldn’t find from the information in their specs if they are .

You may need one like this:
Here
Just an example , I don’t know if it would work or if this is a good card .

In the .PDF :"The PCI Express x16 connector is configured to support only a PCI Express x1 link when the Intel GMA900 graphics controller is enabled. "