Need good DVD ripper for scratched discs

vbimport

I’m planning on ripping my DVD collection to hard drive and to save time, I thought I might as well build a PC with multiple drives for this purpose.

Question, can you guys recommend a good drive for ripping problematic/scratched discs? So far, the most forgiving drive I’ve used is a Sony DW-Q30A but I don’t think you can buy those anymore. Burning isn’t really a concern.

Requirements:
SATA
available from Newegg
under $30
free shipping (not really a requirement but it is preferred)

Shortlist of drives I’m considering:
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04
Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R Burner Black SATA Model AD-7200S-0B

If you have recommendations for drives not on the list, feel free to mention them.

Thanks!

Forgot to mention, preferably something fast, too. Thanks!

@ ilovejedd,

A ‘Fast’ Drive and ‘Ripping Scratched DVDs’ doesn’t quite equate. When ripping scratched DVDs to avoid Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) data Read/Write errors you need a ‘Slow’ ripping speed.

For your “Scratched DVD’ problem suggest considering a DVD-ROM Drive as your ‘Ripping’ Drive. For instance Lite-On DVD-ROM Drives are noted for their ability as being excellent quality ‘Rippers’. Then I would consider a DVD Burner that is noted for its excellent Burning Quality. To obtain Quality Error Results ‘Speed’ should not be the determining Factor – finished Burning Quality should be. In the long run the few seconds difference between 12x speed and 20x speed is negligible but finished project quality could be compromised when ‘Fast’ is used.

Also don’t be ‘Fooled’ with advertising. It should be noted that the DVD Forum’s (DVD Consortium) Official “DVD Format Specifications” do not support speeds higher than 16x speed – and keep in mind that NO DVD Media is certified faster than 16x speed.

Suggest reviewing “The top 5 Optical drives of 2008” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/top-5-optical-drives-2008-cd-freaks-members-choice-249785) Forum thread for Forum Member suggestions.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks for the clarifications. I don’t need it to burn. I just need it for ripping. I don’t really find myself burning a lot of discs nowadays and when I do, I usually burn at 8x. :stuck_out_tongue:

I did check out that thread but it would seem that people are voting on the strength of the drives as burners, not as readers. I was planning on getting 5~6 drives of the same make but perhaps a different approach might be better.

Majority of my discs aren’t scratched. In fact, most of them are in excellent, like new condition. Only the few DVD’s that my brother watches very often or have been lent to other people are. I estimate I’ll be ripping around a thousand discs so speed is a consideration. I think I’ll just get 3~4 drives for fast ripping of normal discs, one drive for scratched/problematic discs, and one good quality burner.

In light of this, can you recommend a:

1. fast DVD ripper
  2. DVD ripper for scratched/problematic discs
  3. good quality DVD burner (I think the Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7200S is a highly regarded burner so I might get that one for this purpose)

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions. :slight_smile:

@ ilovejedd,

Sounds like you are serious about DVD quality and have ambishious project ahead of you.

Since it appears you are serious about DVD quality I will throw another item your way for you to consider - Disk Quality Scanning.

Now days there are few DVD Drives that efficiently perform Disk Quality Scanning to ensure that the reordered DVD Data was recorded correctly without any errors and that DVD play back will be at optimal performance.

In short Disk Quality Scanning is a quality assurance check to ensure that your DVD Media recording procedures are at optimal performance and that playback quality of your DVD Media will be error free. Just blindly assuming that your recorded DVD Data is error free and recorded correctly is a big assumption. That’s where Disk Quality Scanning checking plays in role in ensuring DVD Recording Quality.

General consciousness is that either the BenQ DW-1640 and/or Plextor PX-760A Drive are the best Disk Quality Scanning DVD Drives available. Unfortunately these two Drives are no longer in production but sometimes are available at e B a y auctions.

Regards,
bjkg

Should have made myself more clear in my posts. I will be ripping store-bought, pressed, most likely dual layer video DVD’s. As such, there really won’t be much need for disk quality scanning. If anything, what I need is SpinRite to ensure hard drive health for five (going on fifteen) Seagate 1.5TB drives.

Hi.

[QUOTE=ilovejedd;2140160]

1. fast DVD ripper
    [/QUOTE]
    I can recommend you here a Lite-On drive, they are very fast and have an acceptable error correction system.

2. DVD ripper for scratched/problematic discs
[/QUOTE]
Here, depends on how bad is your disc. An example: I have a DVD that isn’t scratched but I cannot play it in the end part on any of my standalone players. I scanned that disc and the results are terrible as seen below

Then, I run a TRT test with different drives.

Pioneer DVR-115D @ 115L

The test failed with an error.

Lite-On LH-20A1H

The test finished but with a lot of effort.

LG GSA-H62N @ H66N

The test finished with ONLY a small drop at the end of the disc, despite of all the POF that the the disc has in that zone.

3. good quality DVD burner (I think the Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7200S is a highly regarded burner so I might get that one for this purpose)[/QUOTE]
I think that this is a good choice, you can consider a Pioneer also.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I’ll go with the LiteOn iHAS120-04 for this.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2140370]Pioneer DVR-115D @ 115L
The test failed with an error.

Lite-On LH-20A1H
The test finished but with a lot of effort.

LG GSA-H62N @ H66N
The test finished with ONLY a small drop at the end of the disc, despite of all the POF that the the disc has in that zone.[/QUOTE]
That LG drive looks really good. Too bad they don’t sell those anymore. Only found them refurbished online. It seems, the LiteOn was able to read the disc well enough so I think I’ll hold until I encounter a disc that can’t be read by any of my drives.

I’ve currently got the following:
Lite-On SHW-160P6S
Sony DW-Q30A (rebadged Lite-On SHW-1635S)
Optiarc AD-7190A (rebadged Lite-On DH-20A3P)

So far, the most forgiving reader I’ve had is the Sony DW-Q30A. I haven’t yet found a disc that it won’t read. The worst of the bunch is the Lite-On SHW-160P6S.