Need gaming video card for an hp m7690y

vbimport

so yeah i know it is a media center computer but y not? everything else is well built for gaming…and i have it alrdy hooked to my 60"hdtv in the livingroom so we can wath tv on it cuz i alrdy pay for the net so y pay for cable too? but neways back to the ? i need to upgrade my graphics card. i have a pcie x1 slot. i just want something that will play the newest games(crysis plays fine but i can’t play assassins creed!!!) and won’t break the bank. i am only looking to spend around 100$ if possible…i saw some on tigerdiret that were around 50$ and said they would play games but i know better than to just take the word that the manufacturer wrote u know. so neone who can help out here let me know what a good card for the price with gaming in mind would great.

[SIZE=5]thanks guys and gals[/SIZE]

Sorry but that x1 slot is not good enough for gaming. There are no real cards for gaming and that slot, just super basic cards for video/movies.

When your ready to make a new system we can help you select the components for a gaming/HTPC.

According to HP it’s PCI Express x1:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00748726&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&key=null&product=3254052 …but the Motherboard layout image says x16 :confused:

Also some Google hits say PCI Express x16 :slight_smile:

I don’t know how many revisions of that board exist, so i would simply check the size of the slot.

yeah … ummm did i mention i am a noob and i thought that the x1 part meant i only had one… sry guys i didn’t realize… ok so neways with this newfound knowledge that it is a pciex16 slot now do i have some good options with the price and that i would like to b able to play the games on at least a pretty high setting if not on the highest?

again sorry for the noob mistake i will try to do a little more research in the future.

Can you either post pictures of the inside or find pictures on the web.

This is a basic card that can play some most games but is a low-end gaming card: XFX HD-567X-YNF3 Radeon HD 5670 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card with Eyefinity

If this card would fit and I’m doubting it, you would have to get the dimensions of the card and make sure before hand. It would be a real gaming card that could play anything out there:
MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr II SOC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Also I guess we would also have to take into account the power supply, I’m sure what in you system right now is going to be around 350W, that wouldn’t be enough for the GTX460. If you were to upgrade the PSU in your PC you would have to see if its a standard size.

hey thanks for the links man! i am going to check if the top of the ine will fit do you mean you doubt it would fit because of the case size right? since its a mid? hope it will cause the specs on that i could play anything at high graphics/res. and it will play it. thanks again man and i will post after i find out if it will fit and all.

Like I was saying if the GTX460 will fit, you should also do the PSU. This is a good one that is efficient and modular. That way the extra cables can be removed from the case.

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

You can try to use coupon code ‘An10psu’ for 10% off.

Here is one of the smallest GTX460 cards on the market only 7.4" in length and it has 1GB of memory
and a 256bit memory interface so it would be good to go on high game settings.

Palit NE5X460EFHD02 GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

@lightner
You should provide more information about your current CPU and RAM size.

If it’s a Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86 GHz) i would choose an AMD 5750 HD, or nvidia GTS 450 with 1024MB RAM.
For everything above your CPU will mostly be a bottleneck.
Those two cards also (almost) match your budget and are modest when it comes to PSU power.

P.S.: you’ve opened the case and assured it actually is a x16 slot ?

Lightner: as eric93se already stated, YOU WILL NEED TO UPGRADE YOUR POWER SUPPLY if you get a high power graphics card. Otherwise, you risk no being able to use the computer and even damaging your computer. If your motherboard takes a standard PSU, something like these will work well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

I looked up the hp m7690y on HP’s site and it looks like a standard mobo
to me so a regular PS should work just fine as it has One 24-pin ATX power
connector and One 4-pin ATX power connector so it should be good to go.

Here is a pic of the mobo from HP’s site so lightner should have no trouble
in upgrading the video card and PS.

wow do you guys rock or what? now all i gotta do is buy and install since you guys did all the research!!!i am wondering though…i haven’t even opened the computer up yet…it is hooked up in the livingroom and we use it for gaming and internet tv on our 60"hd so someones almost always on it so i didn’t kck them all off to get to it yet…but neways wondering i have a 350 psu unit in the workshop downstairs would that be big enuff? figuring that is probably the size at least thats already installed but wasn’t sure. but i don’t mind getting the new one if i need since it is pretty cheap. and i been looking around a little at cards but i don’t understand the specs. but i will try to figure it out with bing or something.

thanks for all your help with this and man am i glad i found this forum!!!:iagree:

[QUOTE=lightner;2581092]but neways wondering i have a 350 psu unit in the workshop downstairs would that be big enuff?[/QUOTE]

Very doubtful that PS would work as this is what you will most likely see with just about any gaming video card
[B]Minimum 450W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A) [/B] and I just don’t
think a 350 watt PS is going to make it at all. :disagree:

When buying a new PS [B][U]PLEASE[/U][/B] [B]do not [/B]and I repeat [B]do not [/B]buy some cheap no name PS stick with a good name
brand like Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, Ultra, even if you can get say a 600 or 700 watt no name for less than say a
430 to 500 watt name brand PS. Those no name brands about 99.9% of them put out less power than what they
advertise so a 700 watt no name could have less true power than your little old 350 watt has.

Here are a few safe bets for PS’s

1. CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply even though it says it is a
    430 watt PS it has enough power on the +12v rail

2. CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 (CMPSU-600CX) 600W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply

3. Ultra X4 500-Watt Modular Power Supply yeah it is a little bit more expensive than some of the other 500watt
    PS’s but it has modular connectors and it carries a Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration.
    I’m running the 750 watt version of it and it has done great so far with very stable voltages and dead quite with
    no noticeable fan noise from it. :iagree:

alright that makes alot of sense…definatelly need a decend power supply. i didn’t know it was going to take this much work for just a video card! i was looking around on that site and i came across this. what do you think. i will have to check specs to see if it would fit but …

looked like a pretty good deal to me. see the thing is that i am planning to start buying parts soon for my first complete build for a personal machine. thats the one i am going to “spend more than i can afford” (the wifes words when i told her the plan!!) and i am a very…well tidy person…youch of ocd about things like wire jumbles and such.everything has zip ties around my computers and entertainment center…anyways the reason i say is the ultra x4 looks soooooo nice and it will keep the chasis clutter free!so i will prob use the 750 or maybe even the 850 version in that built but i am just replacing this video card for me and my son to game in the livingroom with so it doesn’t have to be super you know. but my build is going to be outlandish and take me forever cause i am on a budget. but thanks for the advice…again!!

You see that red switch on the back of the PSU you listed? You should avoid units like that as they are indicative of old/poor designs.
That graphics card looks good, I don’t really know much about it. You might be more interested in this card with two fans that will help keep it cooler (hopefully) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127519

For a PSU, I think your best bet is the Corsair:

after the rebates, it comes out to only $5 more than the combo you listed and the corsair is worth it IMO.

I have to agree with adict2jane on that particular PS with the switch on the back
because that equals a very old and or poorly designed PS and the hec brand is not
a brand I would trust. They are known for being a poor quality product just go and
read the reviews on newegg on it before considering to buy it but it is your decision
and your money so all I can do is offer my best advice but the final decision is up to
you to make. :iagree:

well after all the research everyone has done for me and the all the advice i finally decided on the card neways…

only one fan but in the end the specs and reviews along with the price($105 after rebate) i think this is the gunna be the one.when i get paid in a week or so i am gunna order it.

not 100% sure yet but just about there that this will be the new psu.for the price (just $25 after rebate…come on!!!) and since i don’t expect to do any other upgreades to this unit it seems like a good option. this is my first real upgrade besides adding ram, a hard drive or a cd drive so i hope it all goes smoothly. i will for sure post with updates and all after the install and if anyone has any thought or if you come up with a possibly better setup let me know i would be happy to look at any idea anyways.

thanks for all the help so far guys!!

Good choices :wink:

Just some install hints.
Start by uninstaling the video card driver software. shut it down and pull the power plug. When your done installing the hardware and ready to install the software make sure you get the software from Nvidia’s website and don’t use the outdated software on the CD that the video card comes with.

Have fun with it!

thanks for the tips!!i wouldn’t have thought about the outdated driver thing so thanks, that will save some headaches i’d imagine!! but i started to thinking and i have (yet another) question. will a pcie 2.0 work in a pcie x16 slot?just realised that when i went to the site to show the wife the card.

thanks in advance(yet again)

well i don’t know why i asked first insteada just looking it up first but i see that it is compatible it will just not run at full capability but from wwhat i read it should run at a high enuff level to work for my games so thats cool. thats all i need it for. i was looking around eb ay today too and saw some good cards but it was like i was getting a better deal rom the online store than most of them and then i thought about it and why would i get from there(unless it was a super great deal)and not get the warranty so i am prob goin with the two selections i made in the thread above so i’ll let you all know how it works out. thanks again