Need for any Subtitle?

Wondered if there was any consensus reached with the earlier debate as to the/any need for the inclusion of the English subtitle in an English-AC3 movie-rip? [Other than for the hearing-impaired or English-as-second-language crowd].
Some thought certain titles required this info to display a translation of foriegn speech during playback (I’ve seen none of these titles myself…).
Can English subs be optioned-out without any concerns?

Good question, but i would also like to know how much space a subtitle normally takes up on a dvd. If it’s really small than I would just play it safe and include the english subtitles.

Originally posted by liqwidsky
Good question, but i would also like to know how much space a subtitle normally takes up on a dvd. If it’s really small than I would just play it safe and include the english subtitles.

A good point, as Subs are very small.
My concern is not size as related to remaining PQ, but that some stand-alones require a remote-press to option off the English sub.
The Apex 5131 is one such (no Off-setting in SetUp…). I don’t know how common that exclusion is, but if no real need exists for the English sub–why add it?

In Lord Of The Rings, you will have trouble understanding Arwen sometimes without any subtitles…and there was another movie (which I can’t remember at the moment) with short scenes in Russian.
Of course, you don’t need subs if you can understand elvish and russian…

Interestingly enough I did a dub of Marnie and used the option in DVD-Decrypter to leave out the subtitles. Then I processed it via DVD2ONE v1.1.1 and burned it to a DVD+RW. It worked well except for one minor detail - the menu highlighting was missing. Repeated the entire process but left the subtitles in and the menu highlighting worked. Methinks they must be related :slight_smile:

I think thats because the sub data contains small graphics too - such as the menu highlights!

I have found movies like Star Wars Episode I and Blackhawk Down…have subtitles at the bottom of the screen when somebody is talking in a alien language or foreign language. I have found that you “need” to get the subs if you want to see them in your rip.

OK–thanks…
I have both of those, and will try other way to compare…

Can someone cite others they know of (including for titular or other effects re: inclusion of an English sub)?

To answer your question about size, subs are small very small! There compressed bitmaps, so an entire set of subtitles on a normal movie reach upon 25 to 40 Mb.

Yes Rene is right - In the grand scheme of things subtitles are (usually) small and insignigicant so keeping them in just in case they are needed is perhaps not a bad idea!

If you then find they are turned on at the start of a ‘Movie Only’ backup have a look at:- http://uk.geocities.com/jpitts_sc/

Cheers,

JMP

I’ve yet to test this, but have seen posts suggesting that
when doing a full disk backup - maybe subtitles - for menus
might be necessary. I’ll let you know shortly - after I check it.

dvdmanDAVE

Fight disease! Join the GRID!

P.S. How are you all? To the Americans among us,
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! and to you all else…Be well!

OOPS! Does this post belong here? DVD Shrink forum?