Need firmware for mySony DRU-710A (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-1633S/1653S), BUT

I need to be able to specifically commend it to set my booktype to DVD-ROM in plain English, or using a drop down menu or something…

Please help…

Thanks

Ok, I appreciate the help but I’m about to lose my mind. I located the Lite-on name for my Sony drive, and located the firmware for it… I got a hold of the omnipatcher for the firmware…NOWHERE during the course of my using the omnipatcher was the word DVD-ROM seen in reference to setting the booktype… it says you can turn autobitsetting on or off, but not what effect this has on the burn, I saved 3 .exe files, one with fix bitsetting support checked , one with autobitsetting checked, and one with both greyed out from using other patchware… All three efforts of using these firmwares have resulted in copies remaining as dvd+r booktype when finished. So WHAT setting is supposed to make this f$#%&^%@ thing record dvd +r DL’s into DVD-ROM booktype? Omnipatch info list doesn’t say. does anybody know of a firmware editor the specifically offers a clear command of setting booktype to DVD-ROM in plain English? Or at least let me know what commands will do same? My drive is a Sony DRU-710a /LiteON 1633(?).

Sorry, it’s been 3 days of wading through hip deep jargon, dead ends, and lots of advice on WHAT to do, but not alot on HOW;trying to figure this out and it’s beginning to wear my patience…

With your liteon, if you want to bitset, you must use “Booktype 135” which is a small log.
You just chose the type of media you want to set to dvdrom and set it !!!
You set it only once and it will keep setting this type of media to dvdrom until you set it back to dvd+R, even if you flash your drive with a newer FW.

Yeah, auto-bitsetting configures the drive to burn as DVD-ROM by default. There’s no reason to have it use any other type.

I have written to CoolbreezeToo on another threaed and it was suggested he pose his question here.
I believe he is only having problems with DVD+ DL media, he is unable to burn that type as DVD-Rom. I have used the OmniPatcher with my Liteon but I’m unfamiliar with Book Type 135, is this something new?
All my DVD’s burn as DVD-Rom using the Omni Patcher and having selected autobitsetting. I never attempted a DL disk.

booktype135 is not new!!! It is the official Liteon tool for bitsetting.

Thanks for the explanation bichonn.
I have that program but never needed to use it. Once I set my firmware with OmniPatcher to auto bitsetting every DVD I ever burned came out DVD-Rom.
I was under the impression that these tools such as booktype135 and DVDInfopro that you had to load the program and put a new disk in before the burning process, I can’t be bothered with that, I want it autmatically done the way I have mine set up now.

The question nobody has answered for CoolbreezeToo is does this automatic bitsetting tool work for DL media, looks like he’s burned quite a few and they all came out DVD+, hate to see him waste any more money due to the cost of that media. From the other thread I believe he said he used TDK DL media.
My question now is, if he loads the latest firmware for the Sony drive into OmniPatcher, enables auto bitsetting, but the media does not appear in the recognized DL media list, would it still work or would he need to get media that the latest firmware recognizes.

I feel bad that I can’t offer more assistance to him, due to my lack of experience with DL media.

Ok, I’m at my wit’s end. You guys talking about auto bitsetting doing the trick for you are making me jealous. I used the omnipatcher and set my lastest offical firmware to auto bitset. The media are recognized by the firmware…ricohjpn D01 00 or 01(i’m going from memory). Anyway the auto bitsetting still didn’t work, and I’m only burning single layers till I get this thing figure out.(4 toasted by now…all good copies but can only be played on a P.C.) the bitsetting utility 1.3.5 doesn’t seem to work either…

What happens with that is, when I put the DL blank into the drive, it picks it up,I click on change to DVD-rom and click on the change button(see diagram above), and I get a message saying booktype successfully changed. But the SAVE SETTING box will not let me check it. The Write Now button stays greyed out too. I thought it may work leaving it on during burning but no good… I’m beginning to feel f#$%!@ cursed with this thing… I just about ready to give it up, I’m not trashing any more 5 dollar frisbees on this shit either till it’s fixed or f$%^@d

I’m also considering doing one more thing…I have Nero software that came bundled with the drive. It seems to be well featured considering … in any case I thought I would leave ANYDVD on for the decrypting feature and just copy the disc using Nero…I’m hoping that software will “trick” my home player into thinking it’s reading DVD-ROM. I don’t care if that’s not the best way to do it, I just want to watch these things on the big screen. If it works, then great… I just have to wait until I rent a movie I want to save first… :sad:

CoolbrezeToo, Hope this will help you.
Make sure you have latest OmniPatcher V 2.4.1<O:p</O:p

Download the below Firmware for your Sony (Indicated in Red)

Link For Firmware<O:p></O:p>

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html<O:p></O:p>

Scroll down to Sony DRU-710A<O:p</O:p</O:p

Sony DRU-710A (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-1633S/1653S)<O:p></O:p>

• BY01/BY02/BY03 - stock (old)<O:p</O:p

• BYX2/BYX3 - stock (4x +R DL and 12x -R) (old)<O:p</O:p

• BYX4 - stock (4x +R DL and 12x -R) (CoolbreezeToo -Download This One)<O:p</O:p

• BYX4 - patched - crossflashing, multi-colored LED (for 1213S, 1613S, 1653S, etc.)<O:p</O:p

Look at the 3 screens below and leave the settings as indicated<O:p></O:p>
<O:p</O:p

Make sure your DL media manufacturer is supported by the firmware. See below screenshot, <O:p</O:p

Only the +R9 is supported DL media.<O:p</O:p

To determine your media manufacturer download DVDInfopro (free) and you can see the manufacturer and make sure it is supported. I don’t know who the manufacturer is for the TDK you bought, DVDInfoPro will tell you that.

Once you have set the customized the BYX4 firmware and used supported media manufacturer, I don’t see why the bitsetting should not work for every DL media you insert. They should all burn as DVD-Rom.<O:p</O:p

Download the free 30 day trial copy of CloneDVD2 from Slysoft.com, use it with AnyDVD, they are a great team. In CloneDVD make sure you set the media as DVD+R DL, and just to be safe, set the speed in Clonedvd to 2-2.4x for the DL speed, although the firmware takes precedence over burning software.

Thanks for hanging in there, Itz. I read your instructions(which I could see took some effort on your part) and you gotta believe me when I say I already did everything you said to do. Latest firmware, omnipatch 2.4.1, Media confirmed with DVDinfopro(ricohjpn D00-01) etc.

What I have done to make sure I didn’t miss something and not waste your time is redo all the steps you have recommended. I’m right now able to try another one but at this point I am ready to start my weekend and give this project a rest…

Come back Sunday the 7th about 4 pm Eastern and I should have some results posted by then…

Cheers

CoolbreezeToo,
Nice to see some posters are appreciative of others efforts.

Looks like you know what your doing but something just not right. Indeed it’s sometimes best to walk away from problems for awhile, sometimes you come back with a different perspective and you find something you missed.

I don’t know if you’re familiar with CloneDVD2 but I’ve never burned a coaster that wasn’t my fault using it.

I sure wish somebody would jump in here and confirm they were able to burn a DL to DVD-Rom using the Sony DRU 710A.

Enjoy your weekend.

ask and you shall recieve! I used the Lite on utility, I have a 710a and this info is from dvd identifier! I am using csom fw from codeguys site, when I load booktype 135 it always says dvd ROM in bottom window.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:MKM-001-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
Manufacturer ID : [MKM]
Media Type ID : [001]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8,152.0MB = 7.96GB (8.55GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

here is one I FORGOT to set the booktype on (you have to click "change for each new disk or it will stay a +R)

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:MKM-001-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
Manufacturer ID : [MKM]
Media Type ID : [001]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8,152.0MB = 7.96GB (8.55GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I Only set once to dvdrom with booktype135!!! It remained dvdrom until today!!!

duallayerdude and bichonn,
Thanks for your responses, but it appears confusing.

bichonn states he has only set booktype135 utility once and all his burns were DVD-Rom.

duallayerdude said
“I am using csom fw from codeguys site, when I load booktype 135 it always says dvd ROM in bottom window.”

"here is one I FORGOT to set the booktype on (you have to click “change for each new disk or it will stay a +R)”

In one sentence you said it always indicates booktype as DVD-Rom, then in the next statement you said you forgot to set it and displayed +R?

BTW the firmware you are using that you got from Codeguys site, CSOM, is old and discontinued, you may want to consider upgrading to CSOP.

I am going to PM Codeking and see if he is willing to jump in and offer some advice as to why CoolbreezeToo is having this problem, due to my lack of experience with DL media, maybe it’s something else I failed to recognize. Hopefully he can offer some advice and when CoolbreezeToo returns from his weekend hiatus he will have a solution available.

until you burn your media, it will always say original booktype of the media.
Like I said: with stock fw, you only set once your desired booktype. It will always remember it because the changes are made within you drive eeprom. Even if you flash your drive with a new FW it keeps the booktype you have chosen.
But again… until your media is burnt, it will show dvd +R or +R9 …

Thanks for the reply, I know what your saying about only after the media is buned will it indicate DVD-Rom, CoolBreezToo has done that but it did not burn DVD-Rom, it burned DVD+, so the bitsetting in the firmware BYX4 did not work, nor did his attempt using the Liteon bitsetting utility.

You said you used the Booktype135 bitsetting tool and it was permanent, yet above you mention “with stock fw, you only set once your desired booktype. It will always remember it because the changes are made within you drive eeprom.”
That’s where I’m confused, in my situation I set it once in the firmware and never used the bitsetting utility and has always worked to burn DVD-Rom with single layer disks, as mentioned I never tried DL.
Are you saying the Liteon Booktype135 utility will write to the firmware making it a one time process?

“Are you saying the Liteon Booktype135 utility will write to the firmware making it a one time process?”

yes it will, but you might have some problem if your computer is an NVIDIA based chipset and you are using the aspi layer.
If that’s the case than kill your aspi layer and try again.

bichonn,
Many thanks, very interesting, I was wrong then in assuming that the utility had to be used for each burn, didn’t know it had tha capability of writting to the firmware.

You may have a good suggestion here for CoolbreezeToo
“yes it will, but you might have some problem if your computer is an NVIDIA based chipset and you are using the aspi layer.
If that’s the case than kill your aspi layer and try again.”

Not knowing his system this could be the culprit.

CodeKing has replied to my request for assistance and advised he will reply tomorrow. Hopefully with your suggestion and CodeKing’s advice we can have his problem solved.

I have to set the booktype each time even though it SAYS dvd Rom in the bottom window, it will let me click the “save settings” box, but it doesnt actually save the setting. I have to set the book type each time I burn a disc, even though it appears that I wouldnt have to. so basicly what I am saying is it will set the booktype on a DL disc provided that I click “change” before I burn the disc.

@CoolbreezeToo

I need to clarify a few things.

1/ Are you using BYX4 or CS0M?
2/ Have you tried the OP2 “Fix bitsetting support” patch with BYX4?
3/ Have you tried CS0P to see if the Liteon bitsetting tool allows the save option to work?

FYI, stock BYX4 clears the bitsetting to +R on eject.