Need Faster DVD-R Read Speeds 4163B

vbimport

Using F/W A103 on 4163B
Would like to know, is there any other firmwares that would increase the read speeds of this drive for DVD-R discs ? thanks :slight_smile:

Have DMA Activated, UDMA 80 wire IDE flat cable the drive is on master second IDE bus

Now using firmware version A104 and still DVD-R read is very slow. Some images here to enable you to judge. Have not included all media i use there is two more DVD tyes of discs.

Then you can compare this to the NEC3500A drive which does read at speed. Just to show my system is capable of doing so. Any ideas why the LG drive is such a slow reader for DVD-R discs ?

My +R discs read at the same speed that you -R disc are doing. Whats the deal here?

? Are you suprised because your +R disks are reading slow also ?

Why can’t this drive read -R DVD’s as fast as other drives like the NEC does in transfer test above :wink:

I dont know. I think something is wrong as it is a 16x drive!!!

LG web says

Write Speed (DVD+R) : 2.4x, 4x CLV, 8x ZCLV, 12x, 16x PCAV
Write Speed (DVD-R) : 2x, 4x CLV, 8x ZCLV, 16x PCAV
Read Speed (DVD-ROM) : Max 16x

:eek: MAX 16x - they are such liars, as we can see from pictures above :frowning:

apparently they are. I cant get it to burn at 16x with 16x disc either, can you?

Haven’t used any 16x disks yet, use only so far 8x branded disks. I don’t like postal packages, so buy local only. Dependant on what local stores have (local=up to 50miles or 80.4672km away).

Never mind DVD-DL i don’t see any good deals on 16x DVD media locally :frowning:

Read Speed

DVD-R/-RW/-ROM 10X/8X/16X MAX
DVD+R/+RW/+R DL 10X/8X/8X
CD-ROM 40X Max

There’s nothing wrong with your reading graphs…don’t blame on LG
Just look at the specs

Max read speed for DVD-R or DVD+R is 10x

If you want faster speeds ask for a riplock firmware (as your NEC has )

Regards
A.

Thanks for the RipLock tip andreapappy , is there an unofficial one that has it i can use ?

Could this be a P-CAV issue as well as RipLock P-CAV vrs CAV. As i see your reading DVD-R data disks with P-CAV but mine just reads with CAV ?

There’s some misunderstanding…
If you talk about WRITING strat than 16x is PCAV
If you talk about READING strat than it’s CAV

About riplock…AFAIK there’s no fw available

You say the speed for DVD-R is 10x max but the LG web site says 16x MAX

Even you wrote this above.

Read Speed

DVD-R/-RW/-ROM 10X/8X/16X MAX
DVD+R/+RW/+R DL 10X/8X/8X
CD-ROM 40X Max

There's nothing wrong with your reading graphs...don't blame on LG
Just look at the specs

Max read speed for DVD-R or DVD+R is 10x

If you want faster speeds ask for a riplock firmware (as your NEC has )

Regards
A.

look closely:
DVD-R, DVD+R at 10X
DVD-RW, DVD+RW at 8X
DVD-ROM at 16X
DVD+R DL at 8X

It says 16x MAX for DVD-ROM not for reading back DVD+R or -R. Next time read more carefully.

Yes but i have DVD-ROM set as the booktype, does this apply to make it 16x or not !

Have I understood correctly that 10X for –R and +R is just an artificial restriction putted into firmware? Or it can be a hardware problem of the particular design?

I believe this to be an artificial restriction.

A similar firmware restriction in the BenQ 1620 firmware was recently located by ala42. He added a patch to his MediaCodeSpeedEdit utility to remove this restriction, and the BenQ ripping speed went from the default of 8X to a full 16X. This allowed most movies to be ripped in less than 10 minutes (instead of just under 20 minutes with previous 8X max ripping speed).

We’re all hoping that he will eventually be able to find and eliminate this restriction in the LG 4163 firmware as well.