Need Configuration Advice

I am a newbie and looking for some advice for configuation of my PC. I have Win XP Pro w/SP2. I have 2 hard drives. I need some advice on my optical drives. I have the following available to me and would like to know which 2 I should use.

1. 56X CD - AGI Technologies Mary500
  2. LG CD-RW CED8080B
  3. Memorex DVD+/-RW Dual-X1
  4. Sony DL DVD+/-RW DRU810A

Thanks in advance.

810A - is a BENQ 1620 or 1640 - Flawless Drives
Dual - X is a Pioneer OEM with a NEC Chip - 3500 or 3520 - Another Flawless Drive

I’d say either one or Both.

Yep, the Dual X-1 is an OEM Pioneer DVR-106.
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1672

I’d suggest the Sony drive. The Sony and Memorex are both good drives, but the Memorex is a bit more outdated. Benq it is!

Yup, the 106 is obsolete compared to the 1640.
But maybe a good second drive anyway.

Why do you say they are flawless drives?

Nevertheless - powered by the NEC Chipset (3500) is far from outdated.

Figure of speech - nothing is flawless but aside someone saying their jitter is a little high - they burn almost every media, run smoothly, rarely error, have regular firmware updates and do the best quality copies a burner is capable of. (and I’m a Benq - NEC Fanboi)

Do you wanna imply that the 3500 is equal to the 106 or do you just mean the chipset/PUH??

I’m not implying anything - The Pioneer DVR-106 is Practically a Rebadged NEC 3500A.
The Pioneer DVR-107 is Practically a Rebadged NEC 3520A.
The Pioneer DVR-108 is Practically a Rebadged NEC 3520AW.
The Pioneer DVR-109 is Practically a Rebadged NEC 3530A.
The Pioneer DVR-110 is Practically a Rebadged NEC 3540A.

I agree with the drive choices, but would add one of the CDRW’s in an external enclosure. Nothing copies a cd, like a CDRW!

That’s totally wrong.
The DVR-106 is a 4x dvd burner, the 3500 is a 16x dvd burner.
So the DVR-107 (8x dvd burner) cannot be equal to the 3520 and so on.

Alright so the timeline is off - from memory - I did say ‘Practically’.(which isnt so great)
An Update:

The Pioneer DVR-106 is Practically a Rebadged NEC 1300A.
The Pioneer DVR-107 is Practically a Rebadged NEC 2500A.
The Pioneer DVR-108 is Practically a Rebadged NEC 3500A.
The Pioneer DVR-109 is Practically a Rebadged NEC 3520A.
The Pioneer DVR-110 is Practically a Rebadged NEC 3540A

Happy Chef?

Has nothing to do with happy or not.

If a new users sees this listing it would immediately produce questions like “How can I crossflash my Pio 106 to an NEC 3500…” etc. which could expand into a mess. :wink:

So, let me see if I have this straight. I should flash the dual-x1 to a dvr106 and use as a second (slave) drive. Flash the Sony DRU810A to a BenQ 1640 and use as the first (master) drive. I should also purchase an external CD/RW for burning and copying CDs.

Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have a Pioneer 106D and a Sony 510 both in my closet for over 2 years, nothing wrong with either, the Pioneer when it was new cost 249.00 and now it is worthless, who is going to buy a 4X max burner, when you can buy a new BenQ for less than 50.00USD. The read on the 106D is riplocked and the write is 4x max, would you want this drive?

The Sony I have is brand new I paid $40 after rebates. I will install it and flash it to BenQ 1640. I flashed the Memorex to the 106D and will keep it as a back-up for now. Thanks