Need buffer underruns..come and see me!

vbimport

I'm getting constant buffer underruns and write errors when copying anything. I have a Ricoh MP7040A and until recently used Adaptec Easy CD Creator without too many probs. I uninstalled that and tried CDRWin and then Nero 5...same problem. I do all the right things like nothing running in the back ground etc. and even tried WinSolo which is meant to shut down everything but still the buffer underruns persist. I also used DirectCD but unsinstalled that too. Is there something I'm missing?? Oh and I am copying to image first as one should...

Its like this, buffer under run is caused by to low data rate to burner, what u can do is ofcourse buy or change HD to a faster one, i had that problem once but i just changed to a better HD. From a IDE seagate to a IBM SCSI. that did it for me. In simple words u need a faster way to get the data to your burner!..

Thanx!

I understand I need to have a SCSi HD and burner and I’ll have no problems…but there are others who use IDE and can make copies!!
I used to be able to but for some reason I can’t now. I have Western Digital HD which is only a year old so I can’t see that being the problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial”>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goldfish:
[b]Its like this, buffer under run is caused by to low data rate to burner, what u can do is ofcourse buy or change HD to a faster one, i had that problem once but i just changed to a better HD. From a IDE seagate to a IBM SCSI. that did it for me. In simple words u need a faster way to get the data to your burner!..

Thanx![/b]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand I need to have a SCSI HD and burner and I’ll have no problems…but there are others who use IDE gearand can make copies!!
I used to be able to but for some reason I can’t now. I have Western Digital HD which is only a year old so I can’t see that being the problem.

Check how your hd and writer are connected to your mainbord!

HD: Primary IDE as a master!
Writer: Secundary IDE as a master!
Reader: Prim. IDE as a slave!

Don’t burn on-the-fly!!! (=reader >> writer)
just burn reader > HD > writer!!!

I had the same prob! This solved it 4 me!

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Wookie (edited 08 May 2000).]

I never burn on-the-fly…wouldn’t dream of it! Is there anyway I can check to see how what is connected as the master and whats the slave without having to take the lid off?? Even then I wouldn’t know what to look for…but I’ll find out.
I think I’ve discovered the problem with the buffer underruns…some disk activity during the burn is interupting it. I have every other program closed down and all that remains open when you use ctrl-alt-del is explorer and systray. Anyone know what else could possibly be running and how do I find it. I can hear the hard drive clicking every now and then even with the everything closed down.

disable screensavers, powermanagement and autorun for cd.

get and install the latest ASPI layer.
add this to your Windows\system.ini
[vcache]

minfilecache=512
maxfilecache=4096

Good luck.
…Azazel…

Everybody’s right and u should do all things mentioned above. You should indeed check your master/slave settings (both cables and jumpers) and add the lines to system.ini
But before u buy another hard disk first defrag !!! (I hope u know how to do this - if not ask someone here)
And to see if your hard disk is too slow just test it with easy cd creator.
under tools / system tests /transfer rate u should choose “do test”. This is how u can determine if your hard disk is too slow. I have found this.

small files 1235
large files 3072

I never have problems so if u are close to this your hard disk is good enough.
If not and defragging doesn’t speed up this data rate u should buy another hard disk (b.t.w. I also have an IDE hard disk)

Hey thanks for the help but I’ve done all the things mentioned and still no joy! I think the problem is caused by something interupting the burn. Even with all programs shut down, I can still hear some hard disk activity intermittently and can’t for the life of me work out what the hell it could be?? Anyone please…

U say u have done all the things mentioned above. So I assume it includes the test. How did your hard disk do ???

And did u also install the latest aspi drivers ? (perhaps u didn’t understand Azazel, since installing the latest aspi layer is not the same thing as making the adjustments to system.ini (if u don’t know what he was talking about u might have made the mistake of thinking it’s the same thing)

And if your copying from a cd image which u claim u do, it’s perfectly normal to hear the hard disk. It has to read from the hard disk and yes u should see the light flickering when it does.

What kind of processor and how much RAM has your computer? (There are some light system requirements for a cd-rewriter to work properly).

And perhaps it’s a stupid question, but have u tried using another brand of cd’s ??

U should also search for any IRQ conflicts.
Is everything working fine?

Anywayz - Good luck

everythings right mentoned above… but if nothing works - change the recorder

possible for you to borrow a recorder from a fiend? - change it and try to burn jour CD

if it works … u know your recorder is down
if not you can still buy other components

latest ASPI layer you get at ftp://ftp.adaptec.digisle.net/software_pc/aspi/aspi32.exe
or surfin at http://www.adaptec.com/support/files/upgrades.html

Hey all you guys…thanks for all the help…bloody legends!!
But guess how I fixed the problem?? I reformatted the hard drive and reisntalled EZ CD and away she went…copying at 4x without a worry!!
Cya!!

A month after ya posting it. the answer…nice !

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial”>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ruff-Next_Gangsta:
A month after ya posting it. the answer…nice !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first things you learn…
Format C: and Control Alt Delete

took me that long to sort it out…better than not replying at all hey…

You got a point !