Need BenQ DW1655 OEM and Retail owners who bought from newegg.com

Hi all!

I’m getting ready to buy BenQ DW1655 from newegg.com but I’m not sure if I should get OEM or Retail if I go with Retail its gonna be $12.89 more,
I understand that if I go with OEM I’ll get bare drive and with Retail I’ll get blank dvd, manual and software,
anything else beside that in Retail?

any help is appreciated!

Not a lot!..besides the Firmware…(BCAB) if Retail…(GXXX) if OEM…

I ordered mine from komplet in UK…OEM…and it has Firmware (BCAB)… :iagree: …also came with a NERO disk…LOL :rolleyes:

Hi :slight_smile:
The oem & retail versions of the BenQ 1655 have the same f/w BCAB. Third parties like IOMagic have GCAB. When BenQ release the f/w list it will be possible to crossflash like the 1640 & its clones. The 2 main differences between oem/retail are s/w & the facia are different. See piccies. These are of the 1650, 1655 is the same but with LS logo as well.

I bought a OEM BenQ DW1655 from Newegg last week.
It came in bubble wrap with a Nero 6.6 disk. Nothing else.
It had the BCAB firmware which I updated to BCDB from
the BenQ site with no problem. It doesn’t have the BenQ
name on the tray door like the retail, but all else seems the
same.

I got retail and it came with one blank lightscribe dvd, nero and BenQ cd and since its retail it has BenQ logo like on above pic.

i got my benq back in december 05 and it good. make sure the f/w is updated to BCDB. go to http://support.benq.com

I got the OEM version a week ago. Flashed f/w to BCDB.
I am reading all the negative posts about the OEM version not being as good as the retail or DOA.
I am succesfully backing up my DVD’s and CD’s with no problems.
Maybe my standards aren’t high enough.:bigsmile:

I got the OEM version a week ago. Flashed f/w to BCDB.
I am reading a lot of negative posts about the OEM version not being as good as the retail or being DOA.
I am succesfully backing up my DVD’s and CD’s with no problems.
Maybe my standards aren’t high enough.:bigsmile:

See there is your problem, it is causing you to send two post to the forum instead of just one :bigsmile: I just ordered my benq 1655 today from newegg, I ordered the OEM since I already have nero. Is there anything else that doesnt come with the OEM I might need?

I bought the OEM from newegg three weeks ago. I’ve burned over 80 discs so far. Majority of the burns turned out good to excellent when scanned. Only negative is f/w only supports 2.4x burn speed on Verb +R DL. I swapped the strategy to the MKM 003, but the burns are not that great so I use my PioneerA09 for all +R DL burns.

Short answer if you do not need the extras get the oem.

If it’s $12 more I would stick with the oem.

So the 1655 with the green stripe bezel simply does not exist?

Nope.

If one buys the OEM version then they need burning S/W like nero but the Benq specific utilities are on the Benq website.

Correct?

Jeff

Actually Newegg included Nero burning rom cd with my OEM drive. But, yes you can easily download qsuite for free on Benqs site, which is all you need for the drive :wink: .

What will I get if I buy a ‘Bulk’ 1655 ?

My guess is a drive with BENQ logo, but without software. Is that correct ?

The drive you have posted a picture of does not exist, at least to my knowledge, the picture of that drive on the BenQ site has even been changed.