I tried that and now Windows XP will not load up when I turn on my computer. I have a Dell XPS System (1 month old), and it came with a Philips DVD Burner (8631). This is what I did:
1) Went to Device Manager, and unistalled the Philips DVD Burner (8631)
2) Next, I physically removed the Philips Burner (I only noticed 2 connections on the back of it, I did not see anything connected to the part that said master/slave/other),
The connections I saw were the last 2 connections on the right (one very large and the other was all the way at the end to the right and it was small)
3) Next, I simply installed the new NEC Burner (3520A) the same way the Philips Burner was connected
4) Finally, I turn on the computer and it gets stuck at the Windows XP LOGO screen
5) Am I doing something wrong?