Need advise on installing LTR-48246S

I just purchased the Lite-On 48x24x48. I already have a Plextor 12x10x32 and a dvd rom installed. I also have two hard drives installed. So I don’t have anymore IDE cables free. But I do have one of those Maxtor Ultra ATA/100 PCI cards laying around that you can attach two IDE devices to it. So can I just install that Ultra ATA/100 card and attach my new Lite-On to it? :confused:

Thanks

If you put that fast of a CDRW on an IDE controller card you might experiece some problems burning at full speed. I’d say replace the 12x with the 48x and then if you really want to keep the 12x in the computer put that on the controller card because of it’s lower max burn speed.

If you have a PCI slot, deffinitely use the controller card, but put the HD’s on it not the CD drives. Put the burners each as master on the mainboard controller, and the DVD can go as either slave.
There are occasionally issues reported due to putting CD drives on controller cards, but mainly software issues.
Be sure to have a look at your BIOS settings, as you may wish to change your boot settings, etc.

Ok, let’s just say I keep my Plextor as Master, the Lite-On as Master and the DVD-Rom as Slave. How will my hard drives be recognized (Slave or Master) on the controller card? Do I still have to set the jumpers on them?

Do I still have to set the jumpers on them

Yes, it should work the same as the main controller.

I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong but Windows won’t boot up. The controller recognizes the hard drives during POST but then it says to insert boot disk. I tried changing the boot sequence in the BIOS but no go.

Also I tried setting it to SCSI but then I got a blue screen saying that Windows shut down to protect your computer and to uninstall any controller cards etc. I am using XP Pro. Should I do something in XP before I connect the drives to the controller card?

OK I installed the drivers first and set it to SCSI in the BIOS. Everything boots up without any problems but I’m getting this weird sound from my hard drive. Every few seconds it sound like it’s spinning up. It does this a few times and stops, then starts again. This only happens when I have it connected to the controller card. What could it be?

No DMA? That’s what my HD does in PIO4 mode. Wouldn’t it be easier to just chuck the Plextor?

Originally posted by nouturn20
If you put that fast of a CDRW on an IDE controller card you might experiece some problems burning at full speed. I’d say replace the 12x with the 48x and then if you really want to keep the 12x in the computer put that on the controller card because of it’s lower max burn speed.

PCI has a throughput of 133MB/s, a 48x CDRW (~8mb/s) should be fine. Many people run HDs off controller cards for greater speed than onboard IDE, do you really think it would slow down a CD drive?