Need advice

just ordered a nec 3500 and just need some advice on what tools to use for backing up my dvd collection. basically i would like to remove certain parts of the movie (some extras, unused sound tracks etc…) but still keep the menus in tact. im thinking of going down the instantcopy route and so far im looking at…

dvddecrypter
dvdremake (is there a similar program thats free?)
instantcopy 8

is this all i’ll need?

thanks in advance

if you get all of those programs, then that’s pretty much all you’d need. there are a few free alternatives to dvdremake, but they’re all either: 1) less capable, or 2) not as easy to use. one of the tools i liked using before dvdremake came out was titleset blanker. for simple blanking jobs, this works faster than dvdremake. it’s not advised that you use instantcopy to do any blanking/video removal (audio removal is fine), so stick with other tools for that.

AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 are not free, but very easy to use and effective, especially the functions you need. Worth considering. Trial versions can be obtained here:

www.slysoft.com

thanks for the advice.

ive decided to go with…

dvd decrypter - to rip the dvd
clonedvd2 - to remove the extra’s/audio
instantcopy - to transcode and burn

just not too sure what settings i need to use for everything.

for dvd decrypter, do i need to rip files in “file” mode? also, in clonedvd2, how can i open the files ive just ripped and remove unwanted bits without transcoding it, i want to leave that for instantcopy.

hope im making sense :slight_smile:

Yes and ALL files as well.

…also, in clonedvd2, how can i open the files ive just ripped and remove unwanted bits without transcoding it, i want to leave that for instantcopy.

Just set output size to a DL Media and no compression will take place.