Need advice to make use of my HDD'S

vbimport

Good day

I am getting frustrated with all these HDD’S i got , and i can use some advice .

So i will put them in order then we talk

SSD ( OS 7 64X )
HDD 500gb that has my FSX ( game ) and that has 4 portations 2 of the portations are for internet downloads and so on
HDD 500gb ( for windows backup )
HDD 500gb ( for fsx backup )
HDD 80gb ( for other backup )
HDD 80gb ( empty )
and a Brand new HDD 2TB not yet used

Not the 2 80gb drives ar very old they can go out any time so i was thinking make use of them in any way and then make an image so if they do go bad i have an image

Can any one please give advice on how would a professional computer guy will make use of all these HDD’S or in other words if this was ur PC how would you set it up

Many thanks

Hi Speer.

The way I see it is, the OS will go to the SSD then put the 2TB drive for storage and leave the rest of the 500GB for backup, you only need to have them plug-in them when you want to make a backup.

This way you should be covered if something goes wrong.

thank you Vroom

I don’t understand what you mean leave the 2tb for storage ?? because if I wanted to backup I cant do any backup with the 500 coz they are smaller then 2tb

i hop i am explaining this right

[QUOTE=speer;2713677]thank you Vroom

I don’t understand what you mean leave the 2tb for storage ?? because if I wanted to backup I cant do any backup with the 500 coz they are smaller then 2tb

i hop i am explaining this right[/QUOTE]

I meant to say that if I was you, I will be putting the 2TB drive inside my PC and store all my files on this drive, then copy what ever was critical to the other drives and leave them out of my PC as a backup solution in case that the 2TB fails.

BTW, what kind of files you want to backup and 500GB isnt enough? If it’s music/pictures/documents you can manually copy the ones that are most critical to you.

thanks for the fast reply

what I meant is I usually do image backup using Acronis , But I see what you are talking about as far as PIC and Music I have very few not so important to me

My biggest problem is I play FSX and I have installed it on my 500gb and have invested so much time to put every thing in order with my ADDons , U see windows in on SSD , FSX is on another HDD , if I can find a way to reinstall windows and reinstalling FSX I will be so happy ( not I do have backups for FSX Files with addons ) my big question is will this work if I reinstall O7 reinstall FSX and then just copy past the file with the addons back ?? I don’t think this will work even if I make a back up of registry , I don’t know I am just wondering

thanks if you know any other way I would be grateful

Here’s my take I would increase your drive capacity as you never know in the future you will need more room and 500Gig aren’t to small to use and store with. They have WD green 3TB that is big enough for storage. I have like 7 - 3TB drives for storage and 1 -2TB WD black for my data and files and Acronis image of my Main C drive should it fail I can just get another C drive and reload the image and start right back up. But I would in your case invest in larger HDD like 3TB but 4TB is pretty expensive and the difference in capacity is to close to call but the price difference is. So my setup 1 -500g main C drive , 1- 2TB data/files/backup data drive, 7- 3TB drives for long term data/files/video storage and since those aren’t constantly running that will prolong their lifespan should my Main C drive every fail those drives will still be healthy.

Thank you for this info

I would Like to ask , do you know how to do this Driver letter change and just moving every thing from one drive to another ?? I have been reading through my search on Google , But the instructions are not clear ! how do I do this change letter first or move the folders first ??

Many thanks

You will need to partition on your hard drive first, and then you can change the drive latter to the one you like, all this can be done through windows disk manager very easily.

Good day Vroom

I have Disk Manager , But can you please be a Little specific on the steps ? you are talking to some one who is new to this :slight_smile:

If you can please provide steps

thanks much

What you need to know? How to make the partitions or how to change the drive letters?

A quick small guide, right click on my computer, and then click manage. After that the computer management window will appear, then click on disk management, and on the right side you will have all our drives listed.
If the drive that you want to partition isn’t formatted you will see it as [B]Unallocated[/B], right click and select New simple volume, the rest of the steps are displayed on the rest of the pictures.

Hope that this is helpful enough for you to start, if you have any questions post them here.

Good day to you

you are very Helpful thank you But I know how to do this , I was reading about for example my windows is on C: and my fsx is on D: , what I understood is that I can move every thing from C: to D: ( if I Make D: C: letter ) this way all windows and my FSX will work on one HDD witch is the New C: ( the old D: )

Is this true ?? I hop I explained it correct

many thanks

[QUOTE=speer;2713877]Good day to you

you are very Helpful thank you But I know how to do this , I was reading about for example my windows is on C: and my fsx is on D: , what I understood is that I can move every thing from C: to D: ( if I Make D: C: letter ) this way all windows and my FSX will work on one HDD witch is the New C: ( the old D: )

Is this true ?? I hop I explained it correct

many thanks[/QUOTE]
Do not recommend changing the drive letter of the boot drive (c: ), or the operating system drive (if it’s not c: ) after installation.

You can Mount the second drive as a directory only on the c drive, or chippy the contents of the d: drive to the c: drive …

Not sure what you are trying to do …

No i changed my Mind on that and just did a fresh install

many thanks