Need advice on two Gigabyte Mother Boards

I have a new AMD Athlon 64 X2 slot AM2 CPU. Now I need to buy a motherboard.

I’ve been looking at two Gigabyte motherboards; the GA-M61P-S3 and the GA-MA69GM-S2H.

Could anyone tell me which one I should buy and why? They’re both about the same price $79.99 plus 6.33 for shipping…and both have good reviews 90% on the M61 and 94% on the MA69…both have firewire which I need and both have integrated video which will suffice for me I believe…and save some $.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. This is my first build. I don’t need SLI and I don’t need a fancy video card (at least not right now) because I won’t be playing games…nothing against games, that’s just not me…I’m too old and too slow for that. I will, however, be doing a little video editing of home VHS and 8mm tapes and burning disks…if I ever learn how to use Adobe Premier Elements 2.0.

Sure would appreciate some help on selecting a mobo. If you think another board is better please let me know. I’ve also looked at the Asus P5W DH Deluxe X6800 and the Asus M2N PV-VM. Trying to keep the cost under or close to $100.

I also want it to be easy to set up (have good support). Thanks in advance to all who respond.

The two Gigabyte boards seems to be good. I would pick from that two based on what I’m planing for the future.

[B]GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2[/B] pro:

• 4 PCI slots /if you plan to have some more cards for video edit etc/
  • PCI-Ex slot is far from PCI slots /no overlapping in case of big vga fan, no overheat problems/
  • 3x IEEE 1394a /1 on rear panel, 2 onboard/
  • 16GB or ram support

con:

• no DVI-D connector /you might not need it tough, but I prefer it since the picture is more clear through it/.

[B]GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI[/B] pro:

• 16GB or ram support
  • DVI-D conector
  • HDMI connector

con:

• 1x IEEE 1394a
  • 2 PCI slots
  • PCI-Ex too close to PCI slots /a vga with big fan will overlap the one next to it/

Also I’ve found another Gigabyte namely the GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025.

[B]GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025[/B] pro:

• 16GB of ram support
  • 2x IEEE 1394a /1x on rear panel 1x onboard/
  • DVI-D connector
  • PCI-Ex slot not too close to PCI slots /vga won’t overlap any of them/

con:

• 2 PCI slots
  • PCI-Ex not far enough from PCI slots /won’t overlap but close enough to get me panicing about burning down a card or heat problems/

In the end my list looks like this:

1., [B]GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 [/B]-- $74.99
2., GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 – $73.99
3., GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 – $79.99

/prices are from www.newegg.com/

About the Asus ones. The [B]Asus P5W DH Deluxe X6800[/B] got me thinking from the start 'cause of that “P5”. As far as I know this is an Intel mobo so it won’t be good for your AM2 CPU. Furthermore I think the X6800 part is the CPU itself. Though maybe I’ve misunderstood and your only planing to buy a cPU and thinking on a X6800?

And for the [B]Asus M2N PV-VM[/B].

pro:

• Windows Vista certified
  • 2x IEEE 1394a /1x onboard, 1x rear panel/
  • DVI-D connector

con:

• 8GB of ram support
  • 2 PCI slots
  • PCI-Exp slot way too close /bigger vga will overlap 1 PCI slot/

In the end I would not pick the Asus board nor did I find one that ain’t expensive and good enough.

PS.: Sorry for the big post.

hehe. I think you made a typo X6800.:wink:

I have ASUS M2V: AM2 board
4 PCI slots
1 PCI-E 16x Won’t overlap PCI only PCI-E 1x(have ASUS 8600GT SIlent II)
1 PCI-E 1x
Onboard realtek AC’97 HD audio (with excelent manager)
GLAN
2 SATA, 1 External SATA
Support up to 8 Gigs RAM DDR2
Support AM2 64bit: Sempron, FX64, Athlon 64, Athlon X2 64

Excelent board but at start bios needs to be updated to the latest befor beta releases.

nexus, the board you recommended looks real good but it has two problems for me…the first and biggest is it doesn’t have firewire which I need (I failed to mention I need firewire)…the second is I’m trying to find a board with integrated video…this one doesn’t have it…I’d have to invest another $50+ to buy a decent video card.

I still appreciate your input. I really liked the 2 PATA’s and the 4 PCI slots…that many of those are very rare on mobo’s these days.

Thanks nexus.

Crossg…I surely did make a typo…forget about that board…I don’t know how I got it in here. Way to much $ for me…and the X6800 forget that…don’t know where that came from. Thanks for pointing it out.

If you’re going to compare at least get the specs right…
The GA-MA69GM-S2H has 3 firewire ports, one onboard and headers…

I guess you didnt even read the specs to be honest…

GA-MA69GM-S2H = Newer chipset, better sound chip, faster integrated video. It also has DVI/HDMI and digital ouput for sound which the other board lacks… (GA-M61P-S3)

//Danne

Well Integrated video is total crap, My friend had ASUS model with NV6150 Integrated video, and can’t make dual output VGA+TV, only DVI+TV works, but if using DVI to VGA converter still in that mix TV can’t work, only switching from VGA(DVi+VGA conv.) to TV, can’t have them both. And I think you can only use up to 128MB of system ram for NV integrated.
And 4 port firewire PCI costs around 7 euros.

This isnt the issue with the 690G chipset (at least from that I can tell)…
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2117 (and next page)
You can also adjust frame buffer size
//Danne

Thank you for correcting me. To be honest I’ve read Neweggs specifications and that said 1x IEEE 1394a, I’ve belived it since the price was currently more important. Still even if that has 3x IEEE 1394a ports I personally believe the GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 is better /wheter is it an older chipset or not it’s defenetly more expandable/.

BTW. I’ve realised to that it has HDMI port and stated too. Same with DVI-D. I’ve put that board to third place 'cause of bad information from Newegg and 'cause I did not know if he needs a HDMI port or not, nor do I know how expensive that board is where he found his boards for $79.99 while I’ve found 1 of the 2 boards he mentioned for less.

Thanks again for correcting me and being sweet enough to read through gigabyte to find out that Newegg is wrong. Maybe you could write them an e-mail so that they’ll correct their mistake. I cannot correct my previous post anymore but I state it here that since it IS true that it has 3x IEEE 1394a ports now it is placed as second on my list but I won’t put it on 1st since I still belive it’s not that good and expandable as it should be.

Taru, I got the price $79.99 + $6.33 from the NewEgg website. Where did you find it for less?

I believe the GA-MA69GM-S2H is going to be my choice of motherboards. I’d prefer it to be a full ATX but I’ll settle for the micro ATX since it seems to have what I’m looking for. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Any additional response are alway welcomed.

Special thanks go to DiiZzY for directing me to that particular board.

A very good and wise choice
//Danne

Which one? I’ve listed the prices I’ve found. You’ve said “They’re both about the same price $79.99 plus 6.33 for shipping” but I’ve found the GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 for less. That’s what I’ve said. Yes the one wiht HDMI is $79.99 on Newegg. I’ve found it for $75.00 on Mwave.com.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA24017&CartID=done&nextloc=
With Ground Service Shipping /4-5 days/ it’s $83.78

/$8.78 for shipping, others are express’s from 3 days till 1 days and start from $11.10 till $26.05/

I couldn’t have made my selection/decision without help from you guys. Thanks to all.

…so?
//Danne

Hi DiiZzY, thank you so much for staying in touch with me.

I can tell you’re going to be there to help me with my first build. I really do appreicate that…because I’m sure I’m going to need it.

But, guess what. I still have not ordered the mother board. It IS going to be the Gigabyte (If they don’t stop selling them before I do) you recommended.

But (and not to make excuses), a family matter came up that has basically side tracked me from my computer build…only temporarily. I can’t go into it, but it has taken my attention away from computers…I’m still going to build it…but the family matter is still up in the air.

Just last night, I said to myself, “it’s time to order that mobo and OS” and get on with building that computer…I want to have everything I need to start putting it together when I order the mobo because if I don’t, the mobo could be DOA and I won’t know it until maybe it’s too late…if I don’t start with the assembly right away after receiving the mobo. NewEgg only gives you 30 days to return defective items and get replacements.

So, I really do want to have everything I need by the time I get the mobo…and I can’t really afford to order the OS and the mobo at the same time. I have everything else I’ll need…monitor, RAM memory, HDD, case, PSU, keyboard, mouse, and DVD drive…am I missing anything?

So, I’m down to the mobo and the OS…I’ll probably go with Windows XP for now…“what say you about that”?

Stay in touch DiiZzY…and thanks again. Sorry I went on and on about this. I do appreciate your help (and help from anyone who wants to jump in). But you’ve been faithfully asking me about the status of my build which tells me you’re still ready to help/advise me. That’s gives me confidence to go on with this project…sooner than later. I need that, as do most procrastators…like me. Thanks partner.

No problem :slight_smile:

I’m going to stick to XP for a while longer (until Vista actually gets usable).
You’re missing a CPU btw =)
//Danne

So, I really do want to have everything I need by the time I get the mobo…and I can’t really afford to order the OS and the mobo at the same time. I have everything else I’ll need…monitor, RAM memory, HDD, case, PSU, keyboard, mouse, and DVD drive…am I missing anything?

I knew I was leaving something off…I do have a brand new AMD Athlon 3800 AM2 processor.

Glad to hear we agree on Windows XP.

Thanks DiiZzY.

[quote=DiiZzY;1901927]…so?
//Danne[/quote]

DiiZzY, I’m happy to report that I have my first computer build finished and am actually typing this reply via it. Actually finished it last Friday evening.

I went with the GIGABYTE mobo you recommended above and so far it’s worked just fine. I’m totally satisfied with it.

Had a little trouble getting the audio to work for me…thought the integrated audio was bad but it came down to the fact that I must use speakers that have their own power on this machine. I’d been using two speakers on my old HP that didn’t have their own power and was concerned…but alas, I plugged my headphones in the ports Friday night and I had audio…thank goodness…then I dug out an old set of powered (AC) speakers that I had used on my old 120MHz Compaq Deskpro 4000 pentium back in 1998 and they work just fine! Getting ready to order a decent set…for my new computer.

Thanks again to you DiiZzY. I don’t regret anything I bought except the cpu that later cost a fraction of what I paid for it many months ago…for the price I paid I could have had a much faster computer…but I can always upgrade.