Need advice on Plextor vs. Liteonit

Using a 24x Plextor and want to update/upgrade to a faster drive. I am hoping for some advice on which way to go. I can buy the 48x Plextor right now for $50 after rebate, but would really appreciate any input. Please help me make this decision!! I know both make great drives, and this Plextor price is great.

Thanks a million!!!:slight_smile:

Have a little patient, don’t double post. Even worst when the question has already been answered, yet one still double posts.

For high quality reading and writing at a low price, you can’t beat the LiteOn 52x drive. $45 at www.NewEgg.com

Read my commend from Lite-On.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70499

“For high quality reading and writing at a low price, you can’t beat the LiteOn 52x drive” What bllsht!

I recommend LG 52x (GCE-8520B), because it is really good quality and user friendly CD-RW drive.

But if you want choose between Lite-On and Plextor. Your choose is absolutely Plextor.

“For high quality reading and writing at a low price, you can’t beat the LiteOn 52x drive” What bllsht!
It is bllshi because…? And what is a “user friendly” drive?

You can always tell the quality of one’s thinking by the volume of his speech.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
You can always tell the quality of one’s thinking by the volume of his speech.

[offtopic]
Thanks for my new signature :smiley:
[/offtopic]

@am_tiainen: what’s wrong with LiteON? And why is Plextor better than LiteON (yes, there are big differences between them, but that doesn’t make one drive better than the other).

May I suggest to all of you, to read the great reviews we’ve got on both brands (visit the review section of the frontpage, www.cdfreaks.com) and make your own conclusions. It just depends on what you want to do with your drive…

Plextor : protected music good , support good , warranty good (Benelux)
Liteon : protected data good , what support ? , warranty average

Writing tools : Nero (usually only for your writer and nothing else)

Extra tools : Plextor : PlexTools , LiteOn : nope

Durability : both good, plextor tend to live longer though

Compatibility : both good , haven’t worked with Liteon on Linux OS’es though

Heat : Liteon : sucks , Plextor : not much

Manufacturing : Plextor : usually excellent , Liteon : crappy/average

Incompatibility : Liteon practically recognizes everything , but Plextor actually reads crappy cd’s better.

Price : Plextor : usually expensive : Liteon : cheap

Rebadged : Plextor : seldom : Liteon : companies who don’t produce writers themselves often take Liteon components

Realizing that the TDK is really based on the Liteon drive, has anyone had any good or bad experience with the TDK. I’m reading good and bad about the Plextor(1st time I’ve seen that). I can buy the TDK for about $50 after rebate; Plextor is same price. Any thoughts on these two???

The only audio un-CD which my LiteOn 52x can’t read (out of the ones I have) fails in my Plextor Premium as well :wink:

Heat : Liteon : sucks , Plextor : not much
You do not have a Pioneer DVR-A03, do you…I have to install a fan beneath that thing if I want to burn when it’s warm outside! The heat LiteOns generate is nothing against that…
Compatibility : both good , haven’t worked with Liteon on Linux OS’es though
cdrecord does not “support” LiteOn drives (they don’t send Jörg Schilling any drives), but they work with cdrecord in RAW mode.
Since cdrecord can activate Varirec, SpeedRead and Single-Session mode as well (not yet Gigarec, but I’m sure that is only a matter of time), you can use Plextor as well as LiteOn drives without additional software, even under Linux.

Writing tools : Nero (usually only for your writer and nothing else)
I’ve started some time ago to make images of MP3 or divX CDs with mkisofs instead of Nero, because it supports volume IDs of 31 chars and filenames of 207 chars, while Nero does still not allow that :frowning:

Read my last commend from this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70499

Lite-On was very noisy to compare to Plextor CD-RW or LG CD-RW drives. And also eject sound don’t sound very quality servo motor. It’s like old poor quality CD drive. LG it’s so much quieter than cr*p Liten-On. And also Plextor isn’t so noisy than “Hell Noisy” Lite-On althought it’s not so quit as LG.

Ok. I read your review from “LiteOn LTR-52246S” and in Conclusion page you have say in Negative Points: “Noisy when operating at 48x / 52x speed”. But nobody have’t mention it when i ask which is better drive for Backup Safedisc 2. How even drive owner haven’t mention this point? For me that noisy operation sound was shock, it was so noisy!

And why you don’t have’t any reviews from LG CD-RW? I don’t know what is situation in USA but in Europe LG is much popular than any other CD-RW.

I surprised how you have Lite-On but haven’t LG forum? It was very strange at least to person like me because Lite-On it’s not popular in europe althought it is littlebit cheaper (about 5-10eur) than LG. In Europe most popular CD-RW is Plextor and LG, and i not surprise it because both are quality and quiet drive.

Depends on what you gonna use the drive for.I use to have a plextor and loved it it lasted several years with any problems but i have liton to.You ask which is better,simple plextors cannot do some of the protections that liteon can do.Liteon can do more for backing up games.And well time will tell as for as which will last longer.I like both and plus liteon is cheaper and does more protections on games.And for me personally I dont care if liteon is not built as good as plextor as long as i get a year life out of it.Liteons are so cheap ill just buy a new one.And by then they will have a faster one out for the same price or cheaper.But i cannot say plextor is built better,ive seen lots of posts that siad thier liteon has lasted several years to.And i have not had my liteon for a long time.I just know i am very happy with my liteon,as my main concern is doing games.They both burn good.I cant see where plextor burns any better.But i will tell you one thing if plextor dropped it prices to liteon’s prices and could do all the protection that liteon’s do i would get plextor but i dont think that will ever happen.So i say if u gonna backup games get liteon

@am_tiainen

I think you’re wrong.
LiteOn makes more and sells more optical drives than LG when you take into account all different companies they OEM their drives to.

About us not having a LG forum, it is because not so many questions are asked about LG as of LiteOn drives. I think this has to do with the fact that most people that buy LG are not hardcore enthusiasts but rather “ordinary” people who buy the first thing they see in the supermarket.
Because that’s where I find LG drives, but I have yet to see a “LiteOn” (I have seen rebranded LiteOns but not a “original” LiteOn) in any of my local hardware-stores. And the LG’s I find arent cheap I can tell you that. Point is these ordinary people who buy LG’s doesn’t come to this forum, alas we don’t have a LG subforum.

Regarding the noise, at full speed any drive is “noisy”, but my other fans drown that sound so I personally really don’t notice.
Noise comes a long way down in my priority list, I value speed, compability and quality recordings more.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere

Premium can do whatever the litie can and vice versa (maybe not all the test/ ie jitter that the plexie can, dont have a litie to be sure about it).
All other stands true :wink: (what support? lol )

And why you don’t have’t any reviews from LG CD-RW?
LG is welcome to send drives to be reviewed!
How even drive owner haven’t mention this point?
When reading CDs, such as when playing games or watching a movie, I limit speed to 24x via DriveSpeed.
When burning, or when copying a CD to the harddisc, it is noisy for less than 3 mins. Many people do not care about that so much.

Originally posted by jreed
Realizing that the TDK is really based on the Liteon drive, has anyone had any good or bad experience with the TDK. I’m reading good and bad about the Plextor(1st time I’ve seen that). I can buy the TDK for about $50 after rebate; Plextor is same price. Any thoughts on these two???

i am quite satisfied with my 48x16(24)x48x tdk. i was told it was a rebadged lite on. if it really turely is, i am very surprised in how well it runs. it isnt loud even a 48x. it just hums quietly. i dont know how the rebaging proccess works but im not sure if it is a complete lite on drive or just parts of it. there was a problem with it making clicks on disks…until i relized it wasnt the drive, it was the software. tdk is a good brand i have the 4800B. i can say i would reccomened one.

I’m a LiteON guy. I have 2 LiteON 48246S drives in my comp overclocked to 52x, as well as a 16x LiteON DVD, I have used LOTS of liteon drives in computers that I have built. In one of the drives in my computer, I have burned 24 CDs in a row at 52x without problem. The burn quality is still good on the last disc. (ZERO errors in nero CDspeed.) Yes, you can hear the drives running, but they are by no means loud when installed in a quality case. The media compatibility is EXCELENT, while I can’t say that about the Plextor my dad used to have. I have also used Mitsumi, Sony (from before they were LiteONs), and don’t think they are worth an extra cent. I have used
RiTek, Princo, Taiyo Yuden, CMC, Sony (the non-taiyo variety), Mitsubishi, Prodisc, PNY, in this drive, all with great success. It has no trouble burning 48x rated CMC discs at 52x with 0 errors. The software with the LiteON is nero, while the plextor will usually be EZCD (junk). Nero is a far superior program in my opinion. Copy protection handling with the LiteON is also very good. Overall, I reccomend the LiteON over the other burners on the market. Good luck with your purchase!

I don’t know why Plextor bundles something else than Nero in the US; in europe they bundle Nero

Maybe they think americans are stupid? :slight_smile:

Originally posted by alexnoe
I don’t know why Plextor bundles something else than Nero in the US; in europe they bundle Nero

I am sure there is a reason for this. From what i gather, most PC users in the US are using Dell etc, which shows a tendency for using an easy solution. Maybe they would prefer the one button “easiness” of EzCD anyways.