Need Advice on New Computer

vbimport

Since I got my first DVD burner, SONY, I’ve noticed a few things. When using DVD2One and all the other programs for DVD authoring, decryption, etc., the computer I presently have seems to slow down quite a bit. I assume that it is due to heat in the CPU since, especially DVD2One, uses a lot of the CPU processing power.

Present system (home built):

2.53 Ghz P4
512 RDRAM
Gigabyte GA-8IHXP motherboard
Modified Lian Li case with blow hole fan, 2 front fans, 2 rear fans, 2 side fans.
Yamaha CRW-F1E, Toshiba DVD-ROM, SONY DRU-500AX, Lite-On LTR 482465
80 gig & 120 gig hardrives

So, what I’m thinking of doing is building another machine which would be used strictly for doing DVD stuff (authoring, copying, converting home movies to DVD, etc.)

So, a couple of questions:

1. The heat issue. Does anyone use a liquid cooled case? Curious if this would make a difference in performance, assuming heat is a problem.

2. If you were going to build a new “media” PC, would you go with Intel or AMD? I am leaning towards Intel (3 Ghz).

3. Anyone ever used a KVM switch? I would definitely be getting one of these if I do this.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Scooby

if your going to build a machine for digital media then definitely go with intel. while AMD can out perform intel in many areas digital encoding is one area where intel leaves amd in the dust.

if you go for a KVM switch make sure to get a good quality one cheapos can kill your monitor.

Scooby13,

Using a faster processor by itself may not help.

What is your HDD rpm? Are you using U/ATA 100 or 133? Or SATA? Or SCSI?

Check RAM usage when you notice the PC slowing down. Try increasing RAM and observe performance. Esp. if you’re running (?) XP.

Disable any anti-virus programs, enable DMA etc.

If you have built your own system, you’ve probably done most of the above. If not, HTH…

What’s the SMPS rating?