Need advice on AMD Motherboard

vbimport

I’m making a jaunt over to the dark side of the computer industry (mac territory) to save a friend. He now wants a PC but cant afford an intel, so i showed him an XP +2000 for 86 bucks and he was happy. Now i need to get a good motherboard for him, but i’ve never bought amd before.

I was thinking of this one http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=13-131-413 but i’ve heard good things about the nForce 2 chipset. So i figured i’d poke the brains of my fellow cdfreaks members. The board should be under 100, AGP 8x support, 3 banks of RAM that can support DDR333 and it doesnt need to have any extras, only LAN and thats not nessecary.

NForce 2 board are stable, fast and loaded with features (if you want to), but they are expensive as well. The cheapest NF2 based boards will probably be sold for prices around $100.

If you are looking for mainboards that can do DDR333 (PC2700), with a Athlon XP (266) and nothing more, the Asus board you found at NewEgg will do.

The only feature you mentioned this board doesn’t have is AGP8x, but there is no reasonable reason to buy a board because of the AGP8x bus right now. Even the fastest cards (Radeon 9800Pro etc) don’t benefit from the AGP8x bus. AGP8x can handle faster transfers, but as there are no cards yet that fully use the bandwith of the AGP4x bus, there is no reason to go to 8x (this is pure marketing).

Buying such an “old” board has one big disadvantage: upgrading will become impossible or very expensive quite soon…

Originally posted by Bloodstar007
[B]I’m making a jaunt over to the dark side of the computer industry (mac territory) to save a friend. He now wants a PC but cant afford an intel, so i showed him an XP +2000 for 86 bucks and he was happy. Now i need to get a good motherboard for him, but i’ve never bought amd before.

I was thinking of this one http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=13-131-413 but i’ve heard good things about the nForce 2 chipset. So i figured i’d poke the brains of my fellow cdfreaks members. The board should be under 100, AGP 8x support, 3 banks of RAM that can support DDR333 and it doesnt need to have any extras, only LAN and thats not nessecary. [/B]

This thread would tell you that nforce2 is favoured over VIA mainly because of speed and (stability) advantages. You should be able to get nforce2 mobo for less than 100. I saw Leadtek K7NCR18D for $92 and Epox 8RDA+ also less than 100 at newegg. Both have 3 banks of DDR RAM, LAN, and nvidia’s soundstorm technology is the best onboard soundchip ATM.

The subject has been brought up several times the past month, and this thread has the most info. Again, I suggest MSI K7N2 Delta for price and stability.

BTW is not out in the States yet, but K7N2-L will do. The Delta model has support for future 200FSB AMD processor.