Need Advice on a second HDDVD Player

vbimport

Hi,

I own the HD-A3 and I am looking for a backup player in case this one
ever goes bad.

Can anybody give me some recommendations on a good Back Up Player?

Thanks Guys.

Do you really need a backup player?

~

No,
But it would be nice to have a spare before they all dissapear.

What kind of display and sound system do you have? If you have or ever plan on getting a mid to high-end receiver, the HD-A35 is the only player to pass all types of bitstream sound, for external decoding by the receiver. For that reason, it’s become a favorite among audiophiles.

If your TV is 1080p and can display 24 frames per second (check the owner’s manual to see if it will do “24 Hz”), it might be worth getting an HD-A30 or HD-A35. Many 24 Hz capable displays don’t do a very good job though, and often it’s best to stick with the standard 60 Hz.

If you’re not concerned with either of the above, just get another HD-A3.

I’m going to grab another A3 when they are very cheap

[QUOTE=zevia;2017190]Do you really need a backup player?

~[/QUOTE]
~ why not? :confused:

Because, people tend to find A3 since it’s the cheapest. A3 is just an okay upconversion. It doesn’t do 1080p. It doesn’t have 5.1 multi-channel inputs and doesn’t support all hidef audio. And you won’t get 5-9 free movies anymore now. If you want just a dvd upconverter, you can get Philips for $60 and it will do 1080p, Divx and mp3.

If you can get A30 or A35 for very cheap, then it’s a different story, in my opinion. In any case, this thing will last for years plus you have Toshiba warranty if anything happens. In a couple of years you can probably get a cheap Blu-ray player and you will be able to watch new hidef movies, or hidef movies not available in HD DVD format.

Hi,
Thanks for all the advice what about the HD-A2 is it any good. Does
it upscale SD better than the HD-A3?

Thanks…

Also if you are just looking for a Good Upconverter.
You got to go with OPPO Upconverter’s…

Yeah, they are nice but boy are they spendy and yes I do own a 981. :wink: Although I have to say that I would love to have an XA2 to compare it with.

[QUOTE=zevia;2017508]Because, people tend to find A3 since it’s the cheapest. A3 is just an okay upconversion. It doesn’t do 1080p. It doesn’t have 5.1 multi-channel inputs and doesn’t support all hidef audio. And you won’t get 5-9 free movies anymore now. If you want just a dvd upconverter, you can get Philips for $60 and it will do 1080p, Divx and mp3.

If you can get A30 or A35 for very cheap, then it’s a different story, in my opinion. In any case, this thing will last for years plus you have Toshiba warranty if anything happens. In a couple of years you can probably get a cheap Blu-ray player and you will be able to watch new hidef movies, or hidef movies not available in HD DVD format.[/QUOTE]2nd A3 would work just fine for what i want it for.