Need advice, looking for an mp3 player that will allow me to easily change the battery

vbimport

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a rechargeable mp3 player and as usual was overwhelmed by the amount of choices available.

I am seeking advice on a specific issue that seems to plague many of the players on the market, being able to change the battery myself.

I noticed there are an abundance of batteries available online, but I know that don’t mean that the player will allow for ease of change. I went to a few manufacturers sites and could not find information available regarding swapping out the battery. It got me wondering, is it really possible?

Are there any rechargeable players out there that will allow me to easily change the battery myself?

Thanks.

Well if your looking for a fairly basic MP3 type player that you have a lot of controll over your device and supports lots of audio formats (i.e. .mp3 .ogg .flac etc) AND has a user-replaceable rechargeable battery (just 4 standard screws remove the back plate and the new battery just pops out and in) that is easy to change and at a solid price…

…i would recommend the Sandisk Sansa e200 series and then install Rockbox (www.rockbox.org , if you go here it shows what devices it supports on the front page) open-source firmware (which is 100percent free) onto it as it gives you much more power over your device then and supports alot of audio formats. plus it has a MicroSDHC slot on it which you can add more space. i got a e250 myself (but anything e200 series will work with Rockbox) which has 2GB internal memory and i added a 8GB MicroSDHC card to it so now i got 10GB total. the stock firmware don’t support anything over 2GB i believe but with Rockbox running on it it can go up to 32GB. plus battery life on these is roughly 15+ hours assuming your battery is in good shape which is basically not a issue as 15 hours or so is a lot.

and those you can get for a pretty cheap price nowadays. it works on both v1 and v2 devices nowadays to so you don’t really have to worry to much on what you get. i think a v1 Rockbox is more mature on but it does officially support v2’s now. (they look the exact same but you can tell a v1 from a v2 by checking the firmware version number on it when you power it on… the v1’s start v01.xx.xx and the v2’s have v03.xx.xx etc)

but i really like how with Rockbox is installed it just shows up as a drive letter in windows explorer which is the way ALL devices should act instead of forcing there own software on you like it appears Apple IPOD etc do nowadays. so you can just copy and paste your songs to wherever you want in the device as Rockbox has it’s own file manager in it basically.

bottom line for me… the reason i got the e200 series was for Rockbox as there is no limits on your player then and it’s got a MicroSDHC slot for memory upgrades and then it’s got a user-serviceable battery. plus there pretty cheap to and feel pretty durable from my impressions with it as i got mine refurbished on ebay back in June 2008 for around 47 dollars for the e250 but i suppose you can get 4GB and maybe 8GB models for that price nowadays. (they don’t make these anymore so you will most likely have to use Ebay to purchase one)

p.s. Rockbox works on some of the newer Sansa DAP’s (Digital Audio Player) but is not considered stable so i don’t think i would recommend those quite yet because of this.

[QUOTE=NBR;2536657]Well if your looking for a fairly basic MP3 type player that you have a lot of controll over your device and supports lots of audio formats (i.e. .mp3 .ogg .flac etc) AND has a user-replaceable rechargeable battery (just 4 standard screws remove the back plate and the new battery just pops out and in) that is easy to change and at a solid price…

…i would recommend the Sandisk Sansa e200 series and then install Rockbox (www.rockbox.org , if you go here it shows what devices it supports on the front page) open-source firmware (which is 100percent free) onto it as it gives you much more power over your device then and supports alot of audio formats. plus it has a MicroSDHC slot on it which you can add more space. i got a e250 myself (but anything e200 series will work with Rockbox) which has 2GB internal memory and i added a 8GB MicroSDHC card to it so now i got 10GB total. the stock firmware don’t support anything over 2GB i believe but with Rockbox running on it it can go up to 32GB. plus battery life on these is roughly 15+ hours assuming your battery is in good shape which is basically not a issue as 15 hours or so is a lot.

and those you can get for a pretty cheap price nowadays. it works on both v1 and v2 devices nowadays to so you don’t really have to worry to much on what you get. i think a v1 Rockbox is more mature on but it does officially support v2’s now. (they look the exact same but you can tell a v1 from a v2 by checking the firmware version number on it when you power it on… the v1’s start v01.xx.xx and the v2’s have v03.xx.xx etc)

but i really like how with Rockbox is installed it just shows up as a drive letter in windows explorer which is the way ALL devices should act instead of forcing there own software on you like it appears Apple IPOD etc do nowadays. so you can just copy and paste your songs to wherever you want in the device as Rockbox has it’s own file manager in it basically.

bottom line for me… the reason i got the e200 series was for Rockbox as there is no limits on your player then and it’s got a MicroSDHC slot for memory upgrades and then it’s got a user-serviceable battery. plus there pretty cheap to and feel pretty durable from my impressions with it as i got mine refurbished on ebay back in June 2008 for around 47 dollars for the e250 but i suppose you can get 4GB and maybe 8GB models for that price nowadays. (they don’t make these anymore so you will most likely have to use Ebay to purchase one)

p.s. Rockbox works on some of the newer Sansa DAP’s (Digital Audio Player) but is not considered stable so i don’t think i would recommend those quite yet because of this.[/QUOTE]

The e200 sounded perfect, but what system are you running your e250 on because I looked at the manual for the e200 series and it says it only works on systems up to XP. I’m running Vista. I don’t feel like there are many options.

These manufacturers want you to keep spending money to buy a new player every few years. I don’t want to do that though.

with Rockbox (www.rockbox.org , which basically loads up instead of your original firmware from Sandisk) it will work on basically everything… XP/Vista/7 etc. because it basically shows up as a ‘mass storage device’ pretty much so you can use it to start computer data files on it if you wanted as it basically acts like a hard drive.

basically i am saying if you get one of those e200 players it’s a really good idea to install Rockbox to it as it’s just flat out better than the manufacturers firmware that comes on it by default. you can still boot into the original firmware if you need to by holding LEFT on the d-pad while it turns on after Rockbox is installed but i doubt you will ever need to. basically the player is alot more customizable with Rockbox as you can change font sizes/skins etc etc and even turn off the blue LED on the main wheel if you want which i usually do which can only help it conserve on power. and you can even copy and paste songs to different folders from the device itself when Rockbox is on it and delete stuff etc etc which you can’t do on original firmware. which comes back to it giving you much more control over the device

i currently use Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (the 64bit version) and it works fine (i had Vista at one point to). it shows up as a drive letter in windows explorer (if you use the MicroSDHC slot it will just have an additional drive letter), and then you can copy and paste your songs to any folder you want on the device from windows explorer.

as for transfer speeds i typically get around 4MB/s when transferring files to the external MicroSDHC card. i believe internal memory is roughly around that the last i checked. (so it’s obviously not as fast a hard drive based DAP’s but then again it’s less moving parts so less likely to break down and more power efficient)

so in other words… you won’t have any issues :wink:

p.s. on a side note… that Rockbox firmware is updated all the time with bug fixes and tweaks etc which is a good thing. the current stable version is v3.6 which was released June 3rd 2010. (they typically have 3-4month intervals in between stable releases but they have test builds that are released all the time)

These manufacturers want you to keep spending money to buy a new player every few years. I don’t want to do that though.

yeah it seems that way but…

i think the e200 series should last many years down the road because if you can replace the battery from time to time i don’t really see that becoming ‘outdated’ if all your doing with it is listening to music on it especially since you get use up to 32GB MicroSDHC cards in it which gives you a lot of storage space.

i would think you could get one of those for under 50 dollars out the door nowadays (maybe $30 range). or you can get a e250 (which has 2GB internal memory) and then buy a MicroSDHC card for it to boost it’s memory. they have 2GB/4GB/8GB models i believe of the e200 series.

because i, like you, when i was buying this e250 device i wanted to get something that would last me many years down the road and this device will definitely do that if all your doing is playing music on it. and like i say the device feels pretty durable in your hands so it seems like it’s built well and will probably last many years assuming it’s not abused :wink:

and as i said in my first post… i had mine since June 2008 and i can tell the battery is getting a little weaker than a new battery but it still gives me many hours of battery life. even the replacement batteries for it are dirt cheap on ebay.

[QUOTE=NBR;2536738]with Rockbox (www.rockbox.org , which basically loads up instead of your original firmware from Sandisk) it will work on basically everything… XP/Vista/7 etc.

basically i am saying if you get one of those e200 players it’s a really good idea to install Rockbox to it as it’s just flat out better than the manufacturers firmware that comes on it by default. you can still boot into the original firmware if you need to by holding LEFT on the d-pad while it turns on after Rockbox is installed but i doubt you will ever need to. basically the player is alot more customizable with Rockbox as you can change font sizes/skins etc etc and even turn off the blue LED on the main wheel if you want which i usually do which can only help it conserve on power. and you can even copy and paste songs to different folders from the device itself when Rockbox is on it and delete stuff etc etc which you can’t do on original firmware. which comes back to it giving you much more control over the device

i currently use Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (the 64bit version) and it works fine (i had Vista at one point to). it shows up as a drive letter in windows explorer (if you use the MicroSDHC slot it will just have an additional drive letter)[/QUOTE]

I’m still a little confused, and help me to understand as it’s my first mp3 player purchase.

Your saying you have the e250 and it works on Seven and Vista. Now is this because you are running the e250 with the Rockbox in it, and it’s the Rockbox that is enabling you to use the player on Seven?

Thanks.

[QUOTE=RustedNailz;2536756]I’m still a little confused, and help me to understand as it’s my first mp3 player purchase.

Your saying you have the e250 and it works on Seven and Vista. Now is this because you are running the e250 with the Rockbox in it, and it’s the Rockbox that is enabling you to use the player on Seven?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Well i am pretty sure the e200 series players would work on Vista/7 even WITHOUT Rockbox as you can adjust a certain setting inside the original firmware so that it basically shows up as a ‘mass storage device’ which then allows you to use the device as a hard drive pretty much and copy pretty much any file you want on it. (basically you have to set up the original Sansa firmware to a certain mode in order to get Rockbox running on it. which it says in the installation instructions for the device on Rockbox’s website)

some versions of firmware might have that off but i believe you can downgrade if you need to. but i don’t think you will have any issues because once Rockbox is running you basically don’t gotta worry :wink:

but with Rockbox it will work perfectly fine to and like i was saying without Rockbox i believe the device is capped to 2GB on it’s MicroSD slot. but with Rockbox running on it you can use up to a 32GB MicroSDHC card in it’s external memory slot on the side of the player.

Your saying you have the e250 and it works on Seven and Vista.

Yes it will work in Seven/Vista. with and without Rockbox.

when you install Rockbox it basically changes the bootloader so that when the device is powered on it checks the root of the internal memory for a folder named ‘.rockbox’ (without the ') which is where you copy over the Rockbox files to. (you gotta get the proper files for your particular device as they got a build for the regular v1 and then a different one for the v2’s)

p.s. in general i would avoid the ‘Rhapsody’ versions of the e200 series player as it just makes it slightly more complicated to install Rockbox to with that crap on it. but in general i would think most players you run across on ebay will be the regular e200 series (either v1 or v2).

from what i heard the v2’s supposedly have a better sound processor but the v1’s seem more mature with the Rockbox software as far as battery life etc (but i think with time they will improve batt life as it’s always being updated) but i dont think you will have to much issues either way. and currently Rockbox actually gets better battery life than the stock firmware on a v1 e200 series i am pretty sure because you can look at the stats on there website that shows people doing random tests with Rockbox vs original sansa firmware in terms of battery life.

i think the v1’s = 2 80mhz processors. the v2’s = 1 200mhz processor i think. (i got a v1 myself and i am happy with it)

just buy a Droid X

[QUOTE=NBR;2536763]Well i am pretty sure the e200 series players would work on Vista/7 even WITHOUT Rockbox as you can adjust a certain setting inside the original firmware so that it basically shows up as a ‘mass storage device’ which then allows you to use the device as a hard drive pretty much and copy pretty much any file you want on it. (basically you have to set up the original Sansa firmware to a certain mode in order to get Rockbox running on it. which it says in the installation instructions for the device on Rockbox’s website)

some versions of firmware might have that off but i believe you can downgrade if you need to. but i don’t think you will have any issues because once Rockbox is running you basically don’t gotta worry :wink:

but with Rockbox it will work perfectly fine to and like i was saying without Rockbox i believe the device is capped to 2GB on it’s MicroSD slot. but with Rockbox running on it you can use up to a 32GB MicroSDHC card in it’s external memory slot on the side of the player.

Yes it will work in Seven/Vista. with and without Rockbox.

when you install Rockbox it basically changes the bootloader so that when the device is powered on it checks the root of the internal memory for a folder named ‘.rockbox’ (without the ') which is where you copy over the Rockbox files to. (you gotta get the proper files for your particular device as they got a build for the regular v1 and then a different one for the v2’s)

p.s. in general i would avoid the ‘Rhapsody’ versions of the e200 series player as it just makes it slightly more complicated to install Rockbox to with that crap on it. but in general i would think most players you run across on ebay will be the regular e200 series (either v1 or v2).

from what i heard the v2’s supposedly have a better sound processor but the v1’s seem more mature with the Rockbox software as far as battery life etc (but i think with time they will improve batt life as it’s always being updated) but i dont think you will have to much issues either way. and currently Rockbox actually gets better battery life than the stock firmware on a v1 e200 series i am pretty sure because you can look at the stats on there website that shows people doing random tests with Rockbox vs original sansa firmware in terms of battery life.

i think the v1’s = 2 80mhz processors. the v2’s = 1 200mhz processor i think. (i got a v1 myself and i am happy with it)[/QUOTE]

What I’m not comfortable with is that the player is old. A lot of times old firmware does not work with current systems. I was able to find a few e280’s, but reports show that some folks had problems getting it to work on Vista, then there is a report on Wiki that says the e200 series has sound issues.

I think I am going to have to continue my search.

Maybe I should just burn all my songs to mini discs. :slight_smile:

i think those sound issues are pretty much from those people who are super picky about sound. it sounds fine i doubt you will have any issues especially once Rockbox is installed on that e200 series player. it sounds just as good as any other typical DAP (Digital Audio Player) you will find on a cheap/decent pair of headphones.

it’s old but not THAT old :wink:

in fact, i just tested it on ‘Windows 7 Home Premium x64’ from the original firmware a few moments ago and it detects perfectly fine (lacking my 8GB MicroSDHC card but this is normal since it’s a limitation of the original Sansa firmware but in Rockbox it works fine). i doubt Vista will have issues with it especially if your on Vista SP1 (service pack 1) which everyone should be by now.

The e200 is notorious for headphone crackling and for going mute in 1 channel due to a poorly soldered headphone jack. The only mechanical connection of the jack to the device are 3 small solder joints, which seem to crack or lift off the board completely after light use for a few weeks or months.

that’s what i seen on Wikipedia but i had mine since June 2008 and no issues at all so far but i do not abuse my player and jerk the headphones out of it like some people might as i suppose with anything the more your always removing the headphones from the device (which i don’t do often) the more likely the chance of it acting up.

but with that headphone jack after a few weeks or months i doubt is true especially the weeks thing because if that was true the device would be almost total junk.

even this…

A number of bugs in the firmware cause problems. One introduces a 0.2 second delay between tracks, even those that are consecutive to a given album. This is most noticeable on musical tracks where the song does not fade completely out before the next begins. Artists whose names begin with “The” are listed incorrectly as well. For unknown reasons, the order of tracks on a given album play in alphabetical order, seriously disrupting the continuity of the listening experience

is probably a non-issue since Rockbox is it’s own firmware and does not even run the official firmware at all once Rockbox is installed. (you can still access the original firmware from Sansa if you have to by pressing and holding the LEFT on the d-pad while powering on the device)

basically Rockbox completely replaces the firmware. so any bugs related to the official Sansa firmware will most likely be gone once your running Rockbox.

from Wikipedia also…

The SanDisk firmware is not compatible with the newer micro SDHC format (generally 4GB and higher). Rockbox firmware adds this support. [B]Rockbox does not yet fully support Sansa e200 models with the version 2 hardware, however there is now a branch for version 2 e200 Sansas[/B]

this is not accurate as Rockbox fully supports the v2 devices now as it lists it as stable on the main page of the Rockbox website.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS … shows that the ‘e200 series v2’ (which is referred to as SansaAMS) supports everything now just like the v1 did for ages.

also… you can use up to 32GB MicroSDHC cards with Rockbox and directly transfer to them from windows explorer if your using the Rockbox firmware. but with factory firmware you won’t be able to like that article says as even just now as i connected my device and booted the original firmware it does not properly show my 8GB MicroSHDC card but that’s normal because it’s a limit of the original firmware.

so i guess i said about as much as i can tell you about the e200’s so if you want to go with something else then go ahead but i think there overall one of the best cheap players you can get especially since i would personally rather not by any portable MP3 type player that don’t support Rockbox just because of the control it gives you over the device and don’t handicap it like Apple products usually do which forces you to use there software etc.

on a side note it might be cheaper for you to get a e250 (2GB) or 260 (4GB) and just buy a additional 4-8GB MicroSDHC card vs going with the e200 that has 8GB built into it.